Perhaps this is why tank crews are so lethal?

Tux

I am playing a PBEM and just received a turn during which two of my advancing infantrymen were wiped out by a couple of freshly (and forcibly) dismounted tank crewmen. 'No big surprise there' I hear you say. The thing is, the event was accompanied by a very unusual sound - something like an 'MG42-lite'. I zoomed in on the action and both crewmen emptied their pistols at my men in less than half a second!

I have posted a clip of the event on Youtube at the below link:

I have removed foliage for maximum clarity but the giveaway is the sound of the super-speed discharge, the 6(!) spent casings in mid-air underneath the pistol at once and the sound of this tanker's un-spotted crewmate accomplishing the same feat a split second after him. You can also hear the distressed reaction from my men out of shot to the left.

I feel fairly confident in calling this out as a bug!

The well-kept secret of the MP-38, maybe? :) That does look pretty convincingly like a RoF bug. I'm not sure it's the only factor in the "Uber tank crew" thing, because I'm sure and certain the Ami tank crews who sniped my Landser at 80m with M1911A were firing single shots (a few patches ago). I think this might be a newly introduced thing which might undo the work BFC have been doing to rectify the perceived issue.

• 3 weeks later...
I have a save file showing the exact same issue (automatic P38 pistol). Its in CMBN though and was not made with most recent patch. Do you want me to send it to you?

you can send it to me rokko, I'll PM you.

I did a test using CMFI 1.12 with 30 different tank crews from different formations and ToEs to get a broad spectrum. I didn't see this behavior so it isn't anything broadly based. The save would help a lot to narrow down.

you can send it to me rokko, I'll PM you.

I did a test using CMFI 1.12 with 30 different tank crews from different formations and ToEs to get a broad spectrum. I didn't see this behavior so it isn't anything broadly based. The save would help a lot to narrow down.

got it Rokko, your game was started in version 2.0 if it is of any interest. I got the Eighth air force bombers coming over if I applied either of the two subsequent patches. Couldn't hear the mg, but can definitely see the rounds flying out.

I'll submit

Tux,

There've been repeated debates on whether AFV crews bailing out should have anything more than pistols. At Kursk, a Tiger takes a flank hit and starts to burn. The knocked out loader is hauled from the tank by the gunner and bow gunner, covered by the TC and driver, both of whom have MP-38s and use them to keep Russian infantry at bay long enough for the men to get to a nearby copse. Luckily for that crew, another Tiger rolled up and quickly rescued the lot.

I'm wondering whether the game's armed the tankers in your fight with MP-38s but is showing pistols instead?''

Regards,

John Kettler