Best CM theater/game to start with?

Genosse

Hello all, I am looking to get my first Combat Mission pack for Christmas. I was curious as to what everyone thought the better theater to start with or else just better quality set of games would be - Normandy+Commonwealth+Market Garden or Italy+Gustav? I have tried and enjoyed the demos for both. Thanks, and I'll throw this in the Normandy section as well to filter out Italy bias :)

Gave it some thought myself as well.

I guess the most obvious difference is terrain. CMBN is mostly small constrained map, Italy gets more open space. I used to prefer open map but have learnt to appreciate infantry stuff on small maps.

There's the theater of ops. BN is obviously more well known but each has own preference.

And quite an overriding factor being available materials. BN gets tons of equipment, scenarios and camps, FI is more limited.

UI in FI is better, like splash screens and the control interface, but just IMO.

Small TO&E differences but not a biggie.

I went for BN first. Only because I didn't quite know what was Italy all about...... Nowadays I think BN is done to death and FI could use some new battles to fight. Still love the open terrain and the whole desert-ish color to it.

just 2c from another newbie

I think it's quite a biggie, actually - Fortress Italy starts in 1943 and ends (with Gothic Line) in 1944. The 1943 Germans in particular play very differently with their lack of Panzerfausts or Panzerschrecks and fewer automatic weapons, and weak Panzers overall. And Italians of course are a whole another poodle to get on with. These, along with the terrain differences, translate into a substantially different tactical experience.

For me North Western Europe is more attractive, simply because I enjoy the more infantry-favouring terrain that you can usually find there. But unless you have some personal preferences it's a toss-up.

And quite an overriding factor being available materials. BN gets tons of equipment, scenarios and camps, FI is more limited.

But the FI selection covers more transitions. The "ad hoc" TDs and SPGs based on half track chassis, and the "obsolete" Italian tanks/tankettes don't really have any analogue in the CW theatre, where things remain "the same, but a bit better" (Tiger II in September isn't qualitatively different from a Tiger I in June).

UI in FI is better, like splash screens and the control interface...

The control interface should be the same, shouuldn't it? What are the differences? The only differences are the splash screen graphics, and that's pure aesthetic preference.

As has been said, this is simply not so. The tiny difference you were thinking of is utterly dwarfed by the major organisational changes and equipment availabilty changes between the time frames of the two games as a whole. Sure, late Gustav formations will have similar TOE to early BN, but the differences between early FI and late BN is very marked indeed.

Nowadays I think BN is done to death and FI could use some new battles to fight.

So they're both tapped out for you, when MG has been out for, what is it now? Three months? Four?

I'd suggest, Genosse, that if you want the broadest variety of gaming experience, go for FI & GL, but if you want the shiniest toys currently available, go for the complete BN experience. Or: consider that Bocage is hard to learn, but gives an easily compartmented battlefield that you can control, whereas Italy's more open vistas look easier to begin with but might be more of a challenge to progress across.

fine. gang up on the new guy! hey at least i got this forum some actual posts in when everyone is busy biting the bone at the other one!

LOL. One other thing I do like more in CMFI- urban maps are more interesting. The independent buildings in CMFI I like quite a bit more for a dense urban environment, combine that with the recent tweaks in infantry vs armor and you have some really nice material. PFs are now more effective as well being able to be fired from building cover. The only issue, to really get the most out of it requires a human opponent. The AI isn't so good at close assaulting your armor.

MG buildings are an improvement over the Normandy based architecture, but still get beat out by CMFI.

For example, to reuse a screenshot from the fog thread

Venafro1_zps64345d2d.jpg

Another quick question - does anyone know if the discount packages just offered for the BN series are a Christmas special or will they be sticking around permanently? That could influence my decision.

Only Battlefront can answer that for sure, but I don't think these were done as a Holiday offering.

I know of no actual behaviour differences when both games are patched to their fullest. Which is 2.12 for CMBN and 1.12 for CMFI.

Yeah, the only "aesthetic" differences are to do with the graphics shown while the game is loading and perhaps the background colours and textures in the menus. Nothing whatsoever to do with the actual operation of the game in play.

Merry Christmas to everyone and thanks for your input. I went with the full CMBN series - I thought I would take advantage of getting a gift and ask for the more expensive pack! I am really enjoying the game, but I will be looking to get FI and GL soon because the flavor of that era and theater do appeal to me. I'm looking forward to joining this great community and interacting with you down the road.

Best,

Matt

I would love to, I just need more practice with the system - the tactics all make sense, I just need to learn the mechanics. Is there some kind of newbie multiplayer group?

Is there some kind of live multiplayer, or is it just PBEM a la Steel Panthers?

You can play RealTime human v human, but that's probably not the best way to give yourself opportunity to learn the ropes. WeGo (turn-based), you'll be swapping turn files. I would certainly recommend getting your paws on "H2HH" (Human to Human Helper) and figuring out Dropbox, because that automates the process most handily.

OK, is H2HH a mod or something? I have dropbox.

Nope, it's a standalone program that sits in memory watching the "out" folder of CM, and the DB folder where your opponent will be dropping their turns. When it sees a new file for an existing game in the "out" folder it copies it into DB, and when it sees a new file from your opponent it copies it into the "in" folder of CM. Very helpful. Saves having to mess around with emails and removes the need to ferret around in the folders on your machine.