CM:BN Market Garden Mo Betta on da Mac

Yeah, I've noticed that my iMac gets a lot hotter now. It doesn't have a fan; cools by convective flow and it always runs a little warm. But running MG it is starting to get downright hot. This is a little alarming as a fried vid card would not make my life better. Repair/replacement on an iMac is not likely anything I can do at home, and being without a computer would be...well, I don't even want to think about it. This is going to require further reflection, but I think playing MG for only an hour at a time is in my near future. Further down the road, it may be time to go back to mini-tower Macs.

Michael

Get a brownie pan, fill it with ice, and set your iMac on top when you use it. That should keep it much cooler. ;)

MG Outstanding Gallantry ( one of MG's largest scenarios) loaded in 2 minutes by dropping display = 1920X1080, V Sync = Off. Model & Texture = Fastest. AA= Off. High Priority = Off. ATI Left Click = Off. Shadows =Off

Did not play the game but was able to move about the map w/o sluggishness. Not as pretty as the smaller scenarios but looks very playable.

A saved game file was @ 20.8MB.

I'm running a Mac Pro 2010 Mid with an ATI Radeon HD5770 card. The "options" on my startup screen doesn't have a selection for "shadows." Am I missing something? Is the selection in another screen?

Sorry, just found the answer in the CMBN manual. Alt (Option on the Mac) + W toggles shadows. Should have known better:-) My motto as a Technical Writer is "When all else fails, read the instructions."

How come your iMac hasn't got a fan? AFAIK they all have.

Not doubting you, but how do you know that?

Its usually not on but should be noticeable when under load. Maybe you already got a hardware problem! :)

I won't declare that that is impossible, but my friend's almost new model doesn't have a fan either. Also the Mac Mini is I believe without a fan. It is a selling point since it is quiet.

Michael

I won't declare that that is impossible, but my friend's almost new model doesn't have a fan either. Also the Mac Mini is I believe without a fan. It is a selling point since it is quiet.

As I said: AFAIK - I don't know your model. Mine has a fan and so does my Mac Mini. Both are not the newest model (by far).

But since this website exists:

http://www.hddfancontrol.com/

or this one:

http://www.eidac.de/?p=243

there must be more than one iMac with a fan. :)

Try it and see if you get a status and rpm from your fan.

As I said: AFAIK - I don't know your model. Mine has a fan and so does my Mac Mini. Both are not the newest model (by far).

But since this website exists:

http://www.hddfancontrol.com/

[snip]

there must be more than one iMac with a fan. :)

Try it and see if you get a status and rpm from your fan.

Okay, I DLed and installed it, but when I click on the icon to run it, nothing happens. Absolutely nothing. I don't think my iMac has a fan or was meant to. BTW, it's a very thin design, not much more than an inch and a half front to back. If they got a fan in there in addition to all the other stuff that has to fit into that space, it must be a very interesting design.

Michael

Okay, I DLed and installed it, but when I click on the icon to run it, nothing happens. Absolutely nothing. I don't think my iMac has a fan or was meant to. BTW, it's a very thin design, not much more than an inch and a half front to back. If they got a fan in there in addition to all the other stuff that has to fit into that space, it must be a very interesting design.

Michael

No different than a laptop. My MacBook Pro has a fan that really gets going with heavy graphics use, and it's less than 1" thick. Amazing what they can cram in there. I've had the back off to install more memory and there is NO extra space in there.

Michael your year and model imac should indicate if it has a fan. Any air vents on the iMac (or any computer) need to be vacuumed to clear dust. I bring my Mac Pro out 2 x year to the shop and use the compressor on a low psi to blow everything off. You would be surprised at how much dust is in what appears to be a clean room. I mention this because IF you don't have a fan you need all the passive air circulation you can get to keep parts cool.

One Hackintosh site is http://www.tonymacx86.com/home.php

If you are not comfortable mucking around with the insides of a computer or spending time and effort doing what is needed to keep things running smoothly then a hackintosh may be too much work to play CM. You might be better served with a new / refurb Mac every 3 years or so. If you are interested in tinkering then you can build a fine fast monster CMX2-3 machine for less cash than a new Mac Pro.

My goal is keeping the OSX Mac running and being able to do work and play w/o boot camping to Windows 7 Pro.

Okay, I may stand corrected. I put my hand on top of the iMac while MG was running and I can feel a very slight vibration that I now take to be the fan. It is still inaudible though. This is marked contrast to my last Mac, which was a G5 Quadcore. It had three fans, and when all three got cranked up it sounded like a 707 taking off.

The bad news is that I set up a QB with a company of armor and a company of armored inf, and the old stutter problem is back. So I cranked the graphic options back to Balanced, which eased but did not eliminate the problem. It seems to me that vehicles are very model and texture intensive.

Michael

Michael

Nah, the Mini's have one, it's just small -- learn all kinds of things when you swap the Apple HDD for an SSD.

Okay, I may stand corrected. I put my hand on top of the iMac while MG was running and I can feel a very slight vibration that I now take to be the fan. It is still inaudible though.

The vibration may be the hard disk. That you don't hear the fan may be your age. :D

Joke aside: I'm very sure your iMac has a fan because incidentally I have the same model. I took it apart a while ago (for a SSD fusion drive - highly recommended!) and lo and behold - it has a processor fan! :)

If you experience stuttering while on higher settings it may be that the processor or GPU overheats and throttles its speed. I highly recommend that you bring your iMac to a shop for repair ASAP. All that nice aluminium can not dissipate enough heat fast enough to let the processor run at full speed.

The vibration may be the hard disk.

I don't know, I can usually hear the HD when it is doing something.

BTW, thanks for the link to HDD fan control. After the demo had expired I noticed that it had in fact done something: it put a menu in my menu bar. But I wasn't expecting that and it was in a light type face, so it took me a while to notice. Long story short, I ended up buying it. Interesting piece of software. Not surprisingly, watching a movie drives the temperature up too since it is another graphics intensive activity.

Michael

Thanks poesel71 & Wicky.

I am looking at smcFanControl of 39C - 870rpm on the Mac Pro right now. Playing this afternoon only mid 40s C.

Hope this helps Michael.

I have to return to the focus of the thread.

BF did a very nice improvement to speed and appearance on Market Garden for the Mac. I hope the surprises Steve mentions are just as nice for CMFI/GL.