Real time is missing a few things

Time compression - I have to wait for 1-2hrs doing nothing on the defensive because I cannot speed up time. Saving the game only means I am less likely to load the battle up again to wait.

ALT-TABBING only seems to pause the game. I am going to try to toggle full screen off and see if alt-tab allows me to do other things while I wait.

Trees no longer seem to have the toggle option to turn off only when you move the camera close.

Lack of COOP still means that most of my friends will not play this with me for fear of getting trounced or just needing time to learn the game without studying the manual and investing huge amounts of time.

COOP in real time is also almost a must because without close combat style "unrealistic" mini-map and or soldier net reports scrolling by it is very hard to keep track of what is going on

Which brings me to another thing. The camera controls are still horrible but part of what makes them so is that the game still jitters and clunks when moving the camera.

I have

i5 2570k

16gig ddr3 ram

gtx 670 GPU

SSD hard drive

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trees still toggle just fine. Or at least they did the last time I checked.

Camera controls - I've had problems in the past they turned out to be *hardware related*. Dysfunctional old keyboard keys, an aging mouse, wonky USB port, even a dusty surface to move the mouse over! The last time I bought a new mouse and keyboard gameplay suddenly went from night to day.

If you play realtime defensive there's no way to get around having to wait for the enemy to find you. You could send out scouts, raiding parties. Be proactive in your defenses

My keyboard and mouse were recently replaced with a new razer lachesis and a logitech cherry keys keyboard.

For those that say just play WEGO. I really would not have even considered this game if it were not for real time. WEGO for me is like pausing a movie every 60 seconds to stop and discuss it over coffee. It is enough that missions are 1-2hrs to play without extending that time by stopping constantly.

The bombs and bullets do not stop for anybody where I come from. ;)

So WEGO is not the answer for me.

Realtime > WEGO > turn based

This game is simply amazing for realism and features. Without real time though I would be a lost customer. I know that most here are probably vets from the old BF cmx1 games and so are simply going to be used to WEGO as the only way to play and in addition those that do not want to be rushed by the pace of combat.

I think though that if real time is refined a little more battlefront may have a niche giant on their hands a little like flashpoint\ARMA is.

P.S. Am I the only one on these forums that actually prefers real time?

My 1st choice is RT in smaller scenarios. RT without pausing can be fun or a disaster if scenario has too much to manage. WeGo for larger scenarios to help my management and enjoy replay value. PBEM when I have the time = not very often.

It is a "good thing" is we have so many options

My keyboard and mouse were recently replaced with a new razer lachesis and a logitech cherry keys keyboard.

For those that say just play WEGO. I really would not have even considered this game if it were not for real time. WEGO for me is like pausing a movie every 60 seconds to stop and discuss it over coffee. It is enough that missions are 1-2hrs to play without extending that time by stopping constantly.

This game is simply amazing for realism and features. Without real time though I would be a lost customer. I know that most here are probably vets from the old BF cmx1 games and so are simply going to be used to WEGO as the only way to play and in addition those that do not want to be rushed by the pace of combat.

I think though that if real time is refined a little more battlefront may have a niche giant on their hands a little like flashpoint\ARMA is.

Interesting way of looking at it. Are you saying that you do not pause the game to give orders at all?

Interesting way of looking at it. Are you saying that you do not pause the game to give orders at all?

I suspect quite a few of you WEGO players think we RTs play the game like this...

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=94176

Watching those videos drives me absolutely crazy. He spends a lot of his time pausing. This is NOT how I play RT, not now, not ever except briefly way back in 2007 (?) when I was learning how to play CMSF in RT.

I only pause the game when I'm playing for the following reasons:

a - I am calling in an artillery/air strike

b - I receive reinforcements and have to get them on board

c - Everything goes spectacularly pear-shaped and I want to get some idea of what's going on.

Otherwise the game never pauses until the mission is over. A 30 minute scenario plays in about 40 minutes. I can't go back to playing a 30 minute mission over the course of 2-3 days.

Correct!!!

I only pause when interrupted. For instance if I am cooking dinner or helping the boy with homework.

The time for planning is before I start and if I need it in game I re-group, the pause being my men pausing not the whole game (which is forcing the enemy to pause as well).

I guess this is another reason why WEGO players do not understand as thoroughly the need for RT players to have more time in missions. You make a lot more mistakes in RT as in RL I would say. You actually do need the time to re-group and re-think.

Good to see some other "forum" goers play RT.

Correct!!!

I only pause when interrupted. For instance if I am cooking dinner or helping the boy with homework.

The time for planning is before I start and if I need it in game I re-group, the pause being my men pausing not the whole game (which is forcing the enemy to pause as well).

I guess this is another reason why WEGO players do not understand as thoroughly the need for RT players to have more time in missions. You make a lot more mistakes in RT as in RL I would say. You actually do need the time to re-group and re-think.

Good to see some other "forum" goers play RT.

Having tried both, I do understand the need for more time.

Personally I wish that scenario designers made two versions of each scenario so that both RT and WeGo players could get them tailor made for themselves (WeGo often needs more time when on the offense since scouting takes time when you can only do it in 60 second bursts, whilst in RT you can react instantly to enemy contacts).

But I rarely meat RT players who do not pause when giving out major movement orders and larger sweeping manouvers.

That said, playing on WeGo would still solve most of your problems (you can speed up time and you can easily play coop by letting your friend control one group of troops whilst you control the other by each giving orders to them)

My advice would be to give WeGo a try the next time you play defensively. It might improve your gaming experience.

(I have personally tried playing RT on the offense but there are a few things that still irk me, such as not being able to rewind to see what happens on your flanks and such, so I still stick to WeGo even when attacking.)

The main thing it is currently missing is support for an easy way to find games HvH. This could be easily solved with adding a live chat room to the forum.

Beyond that, and other improvements for better situational awareness such as the ROSTER concept. http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=104982&highlight=roster

RT is best played as multi-multiplayer being more of a team “sport”. WEGO is more a 1v1 thing. http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=109832

For those wanting to try RT I suggest playing the AI in a small meeting engagement to get the feel of it. The key to enjoy it is to adapt a different mindset than WEGO. Don't worry you are missing every detail. Concentrate more on the whole.

I'd like to play RT more often, and with less pausing, but I thnk that will require further improvements to the TacAI self-protective and cover seeking behaviours, as well as formation orders. Even offering players an option during setup to preprogram attack orders by formation using a modified/simplified version of the scenario AI plan tools would be a nice step forward; that way we can watch the plan unfold and simply make tweaks. At least until contact with the enemy....

I have been playing a lot of RT (since CMSF days) but only against then AI. For me the problem is when scenarios are too big and it becomes a problem to control a very large force (without pausing a lot), playing WEGO plays out better IMO.

The other thing is that you miss so many of those small cool things that will happen in a CM battle. The things you can just sit and rewatch for several times. One of the things that I love so much with CM.

So I’m quite happy being back playing WEGO against human opponents. IMO what brings out the most of CM.

The thing is that CM was never designed for RT play. (i know the definition of CMx1 RT mentioned in the manual ^^)

It is by far the most complex game out there but during a multiplayergame ONE player needs to manage all units, in RT, with all their abilities, with all the commands etc.

That is a NOGO without pushing the pause button every 10 sec.

RT might work at a very small map but at bigger maps you will loose overview only minutes after the game has start.

You are unable to start a well timed attack etc. because you can only give orders one at a time.

While you focus a tank attack at one area on the map your infantry will be overrun at another.

One of the most important sentences in CMx1 manual was " do not try to exploit the system ...."

Now its total easy to exploit the **** out of the game and your opponent and win the game during the first few minutes of a 2 hours game simply by overcharging your opponent ....

(call it pace of combat, i call it bull****)

When i play RT-MP against my buddy (we are 10 years CMx1/Sudden Strike vets.) without pause, the game becomes a total mess after a few minutes.

CM becomes Sudden Strike, nothing more and nothing less. (but in Sudden Strike i have 5 other buddies in my team watching and commanding the units in my team - big difference)

And thats what i say again and again.

The RT-MP in CM needs more players to compensate the overcharge or we need back the WEGO mode.

Otherwise nobody needs the highly developed damage model, LOS, AI and moral system with dozens of different commands. We just need "run" and "shoot" ......

It is not too complex at all for real time.

It just needs some features to refine movement and awareness in real time.

There is more than enough time to react on the scale of even large engagements in this game.

The problem is that reacting currently means searching all over the map to see where the problem is. There is no feedback to tell you where you are needed as an the human NCO or fast way to jump to a position on the map if you were to get feedback.

This is where a "generals situational map in his command vehicle" feature would help. Maybe you don't get the feedback unless they are in contact with command. Maybe the feedback is slightly delayed or maybe we just accept we as humans are playing the NCO of every unit and give feedback in real time.

Clicking on this minimap would take you to the trouble spot.

At the moment in RT I find myself being "british" cautious with my orders and creeping forward. Sure this makes sense for some situations but not all.

There are always going to be some problems with missing a few things in real time and I accept this. I loved close combat, played and liked theatre of war less and play company of heroes with friends. I play a lot of RTS games including total war and the like and FPS like ro2 and ARMA where they are realistic.

I have no problem with situational awareness and popping all over the map where needed or to be where those special moments are to be had. But I am a wargamer when a game of quality presents itself and prefer realism. CMBN has all of this in spades. It just falls short in another realistic and time requirement for me. Being able to play real time effectively.

Coop and some real time assistance would make this game perfect. But as some have said it seems not to be the devs focus. I thought cmx2 was designed for real time. So I am not sure why people are saying otherwise? Was it just a tacked on feature?

Coop and some real time assistance would make this game perfect. But as some have said it seems not to be the devs focus. I thought cmx2 was designed for real time. So I am not sure why people are saying otherwise? Was it just a tacked on feature?

Because CM is essentially a cerebral game with a smallish, niche player base with an average user age of 40+? It lacks the glitz and visceral appeal of the massively successful- and massively budgeted- FPS productions. Do you think the numbers are sufficient to support a fully fleshed out co-op version?

It is not too complex at all for real time.

It just needs some features to refine movement and awareness in real time........

This is where a "generals situational map in his command vehicle" feature would help. Maybe you don't get the feedback unless they are in contact with command. Maybe the feedback is slightly delayed or maybe we just accept we as humans are playing the NCO of every unit and give feedback in real time.....

Noted assessment of possible improvement to current RT.

I prefer RT vs AI but would love the ability to "rewind" or "capture" some of the full RT action. Reviewing what went right vs wrong is instructive and entertaining.

Because CM is essentially a cerebral game with a smallish, niche player base with an average user age of 40+? It lacks the glitz and visceral appeal of the massively successful- and massively budgeted- FPS productions. Do you think the numbers are sufficient to support a fully fleshed out co-op version?

I obviously don't know but I say Yes! The military wants it among others.