Comparing Nvidia to AMD; Megapixel warning

c3k

Gents,

As discussed here http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?p=1469300#post1469300

I've decided to post 4 pix. 2 pair, as identical as I could get them on two different machines. I used the same savegame and placed the camera as closely as possible to the same location.

The nvidia pix are from a 1920x1200 screen.

The AMD pix are from a 1920x1080 screen.

Nvidia:

nvidia01.png

AMD:

amd01.png

Nvidia:

nvidia02.png

AMD:

amd02.png

The second pair used 3.6x mag. (Or something close to that.)

Note that the time is frozen. It was interesting to see that the marksman is holding the rifle slightly differently based on the different video cards.

No mods, beta build, I really don't remember the drivers offhand but they aren't more than 6 months old. Or so.

Ken

Wow... I wonder why the low bocage along the fence in the top two pics is so different.

Look at the trees' main branches. Especially the one to the left and closest to the tank.

The way I interpret that is the game saves where the trees are but not which exact model variant of tree A should be used. On load various versions of trees and bushes etc are randomly placed where the saved game says there is a tree A or an bush B or low bocage. Just a guess mind you...

Look at the trees' main branches. Especially the one to the left and closest to the tank.

The way I interpret that is the game saves where the trees are but not which exact model variant of tree A should be used. On load various versions of trees and bushes etc are randomly placed where the saved game says there is a tree A or an bush B or low bocage. Just a guess mind you...

LOL! If I -know- I have a tight LOF to an enemy unit, should I keep reloading the turn until I get the "right" tree? ;)

Assuming the graphics settings are identical it appears the AMD has a longer draw distance, which surprises me since I thought that was controlled by the game. The open field in the background has varied grass length in the AMD shot while the Nvidia is uniform.

Nvidia self-shadowing is noticeably softer in both sets of pics. This is most evident in the first pair of shots where the 2 barrels on the tank each cast a distinct shadow in the AMD shot but are blurred together in the Nvidia shot.

Assuming the graphics settings are identical it appears the AMD has a longer draw distance, which surprises me since I thought that was controlled by the game.

Ahh. We don't control things, the drivers control things. We make kind, gentle requests of them, and they generally do whatever they feel like. :) We can say "make the draw distance this" and every single video card can have a slightly different interpretation of what that means (or in some cases, with some instructions, ignore the request entirely). Whee.

The open field in the background has varied grass length in the AMD shot while the Nvidia is uniform.

That's the engine. Just local variability.

Nvidia self-shadowing is noticeably softer in both sets of pics. This is most evident in the first pair of shots where the 2 barrels on the tank each cast a distinct shadow in the AMD shot but are blurred together in the Nvidia shot.

Nvidia cards tend to have much better support for the texel fetches we use for shadows. Not a hard and fast rule, but in general we can use a much larger kernel for shadow softening on Nvidia cards without causing a performance hit.

Every new driver version, regardless of manufacturer, has different levels of OpenGL support, different optimization goals, and different bugs. Every card has (sometimes WILDLY) different architecture, all of which react differently to all kinds of things. Basically it's a giant unpredictability matrix... you'll get a slightly different experience (even if you don't necessarily notice it) on pretty much every different piece of hardware. Kinda fun. Can be hard to code for, though.

Phil.... "Basically it's a giant unpredictability matrix... you'll get a slightly different experience (even if you don't necessarily notice it) on pretty much every different piece of hardware. Kinda fun. Can be hard to code for, though.."

I appreciate your enthusiasm Phil ..Whee :D

Nvidia card looks better on my Mac Pro with an old ATI Radeon HD 4870 512 MB graphics at 2560 x 1440 - DELL U2713HM Display