help: need some non-mountainous backgrounds

Having troubles seeing my mod.

OK, I played with 1 of the horizon files and added a layer of snow.

I put it in the Battlefront/CM/Fortress Italy/User Data/Mods folder.

But I am not seeing it. I still see big mountains of GL.

Then I thought to go in and look at CMFI brz fodlers but I can't find them.

I had Aris's horizon mods in there. I made sure to pull them aside out of the mods folder.

His file names for the bmp's were the same as mine from CMBN.

I also made my snow-effect file mountains east the same image for mountains haze east and mountains thick haze east.

Still can't see my snow.

And this is weird. I open 1 saved game and it shows big, high mountains.

Another saved game shows what looks like my lower fields, like CMBN horizons but still no snow. Does CMFI have multiple horizon types?

I am getting confused.

ok, now I found it, it is not with the mods folder and game files, all the other stuff is in a different folder in program files. Did I do that? It seems CMBN is all in onew place in users/my documents but CMFI GL is in 2 places. But still the mods load...

OK, now I will explode the CMFI brz and see if I have to change a bunch of horizon files just to get snow for this Bulge '44 game.

ok, now I found it, it is not with the mods folder and game files, all the other stuff is in a different folder in program files. Did I do that? It seems CMBN is all in onew place in users/my documents but CMFI GL is in 2 places. But still the mods load...

OK, now I will explode the CMFI brz and see if I have to change a bunch of horizon files just to get snow for this Bulge '44 game.

That is correct, the file structure in CMFI is different and actually has two folders you can put mods in. One affects all installs of CMFI and the other only affects that specific install. This is pretty useful if like me you run multiple installs for different games. Things that you always want to see go in one and mods specific to one install go in the other.

I actually prefer the structure for CMFI over CMBN for that reason.

If I ever knew that, I forgot it and had to relearn it just today....

I found the images in Fortress Italy v110A Gustav Line.brz/terrain/distant

the file names have the season name at the end in these type brackets [winter]

but it is still not working. hmmmm. maybe there are some other horizon type images in there and it is date sensitive.

I will figure this out today for sure....

BTW i cant any snow that looks green - only a white, snowy ground with green trees on it.

What? I am confused by your last sentence.

LOL, now that i read my previous post again, i have got to say it is not really a miracle it confused you:

First, I misread "sky" for "snow" in that post of yours:

Why does the sky look green?

AND second i forgot to type a word - "see". :D. So it should ve read "i cant see any green snow.". I didnt even notice the green sky :D.

hmmm, I think something is slightly screwy. What our battle conditions are should be snow ON the ground but sky is CLEAR. Maybe I used the wrong file. Maybe I should use mountains east [winter] and just make them have snow...then somehow the other files are called out to get me the clear sky.

I don't have it all figured out. I posted to Aris vehicle thread and asked for some assistance.

Fortress Italy v100B.brz contains various folders one of which is terrain which then opens into more folders, one of which is skybox.

skybox contains these folders:

clouds

lens flare

moon

mountains

sky

mountains contains 12 bmp files.

4 mountains for each direction (N,E,S & W)

4 mountains haze for each direction (N,E,S & W)

4 mountains thick haze for each direction (N,E,S & W)

EDIT: With the CMFI GL Module we get some new brz folders.

fortress italy v100a gustav line.brz

contains bridges, buildings, soldiers, sound, terrain and weapons folders.

terrain contains distant, doodads, flavor objects, foliage, ground, mini ground and walls

distant contains 41 bmp files.

a one odd distant ground snow file.

Then 4 directional (N,E,S & W)files for each of the below:

mountains ***** [autumn, snow, spring and winter]

mountains haze ***** [autumn, spring and winter]

mountains thick haze ***** [autumn, spring and winter]

ANOTHER EDIT:

OK, I am starting to see why it is this way. Maybe it is obvious to you brainiacs out there but it takes me some time.

Plain mountains has the snow file because when it is clear you CAN see the snow out there on the mountains.

But haze and thick haze does not since they figure you cannot clearly see the snow on the mountains.

What I do not know is what date timeframes trigger the use of the specific seasonal files.

For my Bulge mod-pack I can probably just do the M for snow and winter and the MH and MTH for just winter. So, 16 files.

My ultimate goal is that the mod has all the horizons and whatever files that when you select clear sky with snow ground, that is what you see...

Right now, I don't promise it will be artistically awesome visually, it is just coloring pixels in the CMBN horizons. They look lower than the normal Italian horizons and thus more Belgium-y.

I did try and add some more forests. I can add more.

OK, I fixed one problem. I had a strange green vertical line up high in the sky at all 4 directions. It was 3 miserable pixels that didn't get colored. My sloppiness. I guess the program stretches out the upper portion of the image and those 3 pixels became a long line.

Alright, I am making some progress!