Hedgerows, How Many Can A Rhino Take?

Two of my Shermie Rhinos after it's third breach has had its track damage go from green to orange with a black dot in it. These were tall hedgerows, not the low ones. Is it possible to keep this up or do I run the risk of busting a track? My other two Shermie Rhinos and my Stuart Rhinos are showing pale green for track damage. (the Stuarts are used only for low hedgerows where possible).

Two of my Shermie Rhinos after it's third breach has had its track damage go from green to orange with a black dot in it.

Hmmm, I've never seen that. So far, mine go to pale green after the first hedgerow and stay there, but I don't think I've ever crossed more than three hedgerows with one vehicle. I'll be interested to hear what rigorous systematic testing turns up.

Michael

Hmmm, I've never seen that. So far, mine go to pale green after the first hedgerow and stay there, but I don't think I've ever crossed more than three hedgerows with one vehicle. I'll be interested to hear what rigorous systematic testing turns up.

Michael

Certainly in early versions, you could immobilise a Rhino by crossing too many hedges. I had one do that to itself as a Panic reaction after I'd decided its tracks had taken enough punishment, so it wouldn't be making any more initial breaches. That may have been patched, but I can't remember it being so.

Lt.B.

Yup; Ive got Engineers(Armored), but they're all mounted and I'm trying to get them deployed forward of the objective as quickly as possible. The main reason for punching all the holes in the hedges.

Wombie;

Yup; half my Rhinos have been 'retired' from doing initial breaches (or any breaches)

P.S.

I'm about finished with my Breaching Test, scorecard later this PM.

Annnd the answer is NINE! Hedgerow number Ten is the killer. Your Shermie or M10 will snap a track right in the middle of punching through number ten. This blocks the gap of course but at least your tank is level so you can use its firepower (but the term 'Sitting Duck' comes to mind). My map was 512M wide by 704m tall with fifteen hedgerows across it, half tall and half short on each row. Some of the ground tiles were rocky and hard to test for their effect. The only noticeable effect was that a hedgerow placed on a rocky tile did slow the vehicle down more than usual but did not contribute to the cumulative damage. Now, how many tall hedgerows can a M5 Stewie take? The Stewie died in row seven. As a further test of the fragility of a Shermie Rhino with tracks in critical condition I did a U-turn and sent it back through the gaps it created. It made it through all nine rows (slowly, very slowly) with no further damage. My next test coming up is a Shermie & a M10 on low hedgerows, BRB.

And now to bust me some Low Bocage with some Rhinos. In my first test my M5 Stewie's vs low hedgerows made it to row 12. On this run my Shermie Rhino made it to row 13 and my M10 made it to row 12. I guess the bottom line here is to keep a sharp eye on your Rhino fleet as to which ones to keep on the 'cutting' edge and which ones to hold back. Now that I'm on a tear, it's time to bulldoze me some of them walls (with Rhinos and whatever else that moves). Building me another test map. BRB in a new thread.

Low bocage does break tracks less than high.

I wonder if that's intentional, and if so what the rationale is. The graphic suggests that it is just the overgrowth that is lower, the berm it is on is the same in both cases. Or so it seemed to me. How does it look to the rest of you?

Michael

I wonder if that's intentional, and if so what the rationale is. The graphic suggests that it is just the overgrowth that is lower, the berm it is on is the same in both cases. Or so it seemed to me. How does it look to the rest of you?

Michael

If it is intended, the rationale is probably to do with the abstraction which the track damage represents anyway.

• 8 years later...
44 minutes ago, Warts 'n' all said:

if you have a line of trees on a map the Rhino will will just drive straight through them.

Vehicles can pass thru trees (unless very dense) but cannot cross large hedges - hence the need for cutters for that purpose.  It's an interesting question if cutters could cut their way thru dense trees, but in RL they almost certainly could not.  Also, can't use charges to destroy trees AFAIK.

Yes. I was talking about trees (in game) in standard terrain. As opposed to woodland (or "Forest" as it is misnomered by BFC).

I did try to find a picture of a Rhino taking out a tree in Normandy but couldn't find one.

Meanwhile... "Knock down a tree? Clear off, I'm too busy being cute". 

R.jpg