Usefulness of a Stug III in QB..

I have a question to all H2H QB grogs. Is there any justification for purchasing a Stug III in a QB? According to the view frequently presented on this forum the price of a Stug being higher than the price of a Pz IV makes the purchase of the former rather unreasonable, considering its turretless design and less HE rounds. But on the other hand Stug's lower profile and good frontal armor characteristics makes it more difficult to spot and penetrate (as was confirmed by the tests performed recently by womble). So do you guys ever purchase a Stug III for QB's and if yes, under what circumstances (type of map, size) and what is your tactics for playing this vehicle?

I sometimes use Stugs in QBs. But. Normally just in large to huge ones. I am using them to guard my flanks and later when the "tank battle phase" is hopefully decided in my favour, I use them as support assets for my infantry.

But I always ask me the same questions as you did. The same goes for the Jagdpanzer IV. I never used one as I don't know why they are so expensive offering just 60mm frontal armor. I guess the low profile makes up for this. I will see. I just purchased one for a large QB.

This would sure be nice but have you tried to think this through completely?

Yes. Of course it is undoable in an environment where use of established techniques for verified and secure data loading such as XML and checksums are actively rejected as witchcraft.

I mean we don't even get checksums for the downloads through the third-party sites.

Yes. Of course it is undoable in an environment where use of established techniques for verified and secure data loading such as XML and checksums are actively rejected as witchcraft.

I mean we don't even get checksums for the downloads through the third-party sites.

Oh, the trouble starts well before witchcraft. Well before.

I never used one as I don't know why they are so expensive offering just 60mm frontal armor. I guess the low profile makes up for this. I will see. I just purchased one for a large QB.

But the 60mm of armor is sloped at 45-50 degrees, making it proof against US and British 75mm. The latest model of Jpz IV has 80mm armor, which IIRC only US 76mm HVAP, UK 17 pdr and 6 pdr APDS will reliably penetrate.

As for the Stug, IMO they are probably worth the points vs. US or UK 75mm armed opposition but not against 76mm, although I have seen 76mm bounce off Stugs on occasion, and I've seen others report good success with them in PBEMs. I agree they are better used on large maps, as with all turretless AFVs.

I like them too. They tend to survive a few hits from the front. Since they are turret-less you have to handle them carefully. In an attack or meeting engagement I will likely have a mix of turret and turret-less AFVs. But on defense I do not think twice about going with Stugs only.

Of course only if I can have Panthers - they are my favourite.

Oh how I wished we could load our ow price list.

If you really want to make up your own price list you can try the technique Dungeon Tiger and I did for our 20 000 point battle. Of course in your case you would have a price list beside you when you made your scenario editor purchases rather than using the QB screen like we did. Check out the first post here for an explanation of what we did: http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=105660

I don't like StuGs in most QBs. I don't have a problem with them being turretless, but the fact that the STuG only has the "hatch MG" often ends up being a problem, particularly as the commander has to be exposed to fire it.

This isn't an issue in tank heavy fights, of course.