Help for a new player!

Ok, this feels quite embarrassing to ask, but how does one set up a PBEM? I'm aware of what they are, but haven't actually ever done one. Having progressed to the point where the AI feels...boring, I'd like to set up a PBEM, but- (winces) I don't know how. Some help would be appreciated. And if anyone wants to play me at some point, I'd be more than happy.

*sits down quickly and looks at floor*

• Start a game and choose '2 players - Email'. The game will then prompt you for a password.

• Enter a password and click OK. After that you will return to main screen of the game (don't

worry this is normal).

• Go to the 'outgoing email' folder where you installed CMBN, select the newly created

PBEM file (e.g. "newgame 001.ema") and send it to your opponent.

• Tell your opponent to put the file in his/her 'incoming email' folder.

• Tell your opponent to click 'saved game' in the main screen of CMBN and load the file you

sent to him/her. Then he/she will be prompted to enter a password.

• A new PBEM file will be created in his or her 'outgoing mail' folder (e.g. "newgame

002.ema") which has to be sent back to you.

• Repeat until finished.

I'm not sure what folder you're referencing. CM:BN appears as its own icon in my Applications folder, not as a folder. I purchased the game via the App Store, I don't know if that makes a difference in regards to anything. Thanks for help (and patience).

The directory path is (drive letter):\(CMBN main directory)\Game Files\Outgoing Email. So on my computer it is D:\CMBN\Game Files\Outgoing Email. But I'm on Win7 so it could be totally different on a Mac. Also, given that you bought it on the App Store make sure you have the same version as your opponent. IIRC patches for the App Store appear well after they come out for other versions.

I'm not sure what folder you're referencing. CM:BN appears as its own icon in my Applications folder, not as a folder. I purchased the game via the App Store, I don't know if that makes a difference in regards to anything. Thanks for help (and patience).

Ah the Mac does things a little differently (just a little it is the location of the Game Files directory that is different). Can someone with a Mac direct @lurrp in the right direction. I would start looking under my home dir or user dir (not sure which term is used on the Mac)

On PC the directory structure looks like this:

PBEMDirs.jpg

You should find a similar directory structure some where on your Mac.

Do you have a human opponent lined up? Get one

Do you have a Dropbox account? Get one

Share a folder in Dropbox with this opponent. Get one.

Start the game as described by stikkypixie. 2 player email password etc.

Use Windows Explorer (the My Computer thingy that shows files and folders) to find you Incoming and Outgoing Game Folders.

Transfer the files from your outgoing folder to the shared dropbox folder and transfer his files from dropbox to the incoming folder. After 1st turn use saved game to launch latest turn.

I'm fairly sure that H2HH is available for Mac - IIRC, GreenAsJade uses a Mac himself.

Drop him a pm and he will invite you to the Dropbox with the latest version.

Easiest is to pop over to the CMFI forum and look him up in his stickied AAR - the Allied one. :)

Re: version numbers. You CAN have different versions installed at the same time. CMBN started as v1.00. A patch brought it up to v1.01.

An expansion, Commonwealth, brought it up to v1.10.

After CMFI was made, a lot of improvements were backported into CMBN. They were different enough that a new version number was created. Yes, you need to PAY for this one. It was v2.00. Then a free patch was made: v2.01.

Confused? Good.

Each version should have its own shortcut. You select which one you will play.

The gist of this is that you CAN have CMBN v1.11 (or v1.01 if you don't have Commonwealth) and CMBN v2.01 installed at the same time. But, really, you should just get v2.01 at this point. It is a FAR better game to play.

The version number is on the bottom right of the opening splash screen.

Let us know how your pbem goes.

Ken