Thinking about buying--need a question answered please

I know that when you start a scenario you get the opportunity to change the deployment of your forces. Question I have is...are the initial positions your forces are in meant to be playable ones for the scenario?

I find with my experience with CM1X that I can play as well as anyone, but I have trouble figuring out where to start my forces. Are the initial positions for CMBN meant to be playable ones for the scenario in question?

Hi, not sure what you mean?

The scenario designer gives some suggested deployments and zones and then if you want you can change where the units are within the specific zones set by the designer.

However if you don't like the zones you can always tweak in the scenario design tool...

Not sure of your question, either. Is it a game mechanics issue or a tactics issue.

At start, the set up area is colored, zone 1 is typically purple for Allied. You may reposition troops in this area by using any move command - the troops will jump to the new location. If you use any move order and put cursor outside the set up area - that is the units first move order.

I too was confused very early on about setup/1st turn. It took me 3 or 4 games to figure it out.

Additionally there may be several groups that can not mingle at set up phase so different colored setup zones are provided. Units atay in their own setup zone.

If your question is "Do scenario creators put the units in the "best" position?" That is a question only the tactical commander (YOU) can answer. I would think the designers put them in a pretty good location in order to give the AI has a good starting point.

In some cases the set-up zones allow placing units within the enemys LOF without the player beeing told so in the briefing and it also not beeing obvious that placing a unit at a certain location might not be the smartest idea, giving you a nice surprise on the first turn. But that is a really, really rare occurance.

I know that when you start a scenario you get the opportunity to change the deployment of your forces. Question I have is...are the initial positions your forces are in meant to be playable ones for the scenario?

You have lots of qualified answers and additional information beyond your question all of which has merit. But let me keep it simple:

Yes, those initial positions are meant to be playable.

With the single caveat that I am speaking of the scenarios that shipped with the game. I have not played them all but every scenario that shipped with the game that I have played has useable starting points at setup. Therefore I conclude that all the others do as well. That may not hold for scenarios you download though since it really is up to the scenario designer.

Those initial setups may not be optimal (which is a matter of opinion) nor will they necessarily match your play style.

You have lots of qualified answers and additional information beyond your question all of which has merit. But let me keep it simple:

Yes, those initial positions are meant to be playable.

With the single caveat that I am speaking of the scenarios that shipped with the game. I have not played them all but every scenario that shipped with the game that I have played has useable starting points at setup. Therefore I conclude that all the others do as well. That may not hold for scenarios you download though since it really is up to the scenario designer.

Those initial setups may not be optimal (which is a matter of opinion) nor will they necessarily match your play style.

I concur with Ian. BF game scenarios are playable out of the box. You can tweak them however you wish within setup zones as you learn more about the game and your own preferences over time.

The Mod scenarios I've downloaded from the Repository are not as consistently developed with optimal deployments. However, that's what makes them fun as your own game skills develop. Good luck and good gaming!

I concur with Ian. BF game scenarios are playable out of the box. You can tweak them however you wish within setup zones as you learn more about the game and your own preferences over time.

The Mod scenarios I've downloaded from the Repository are not as consistently developed with optimal deployments. However, that's what makes them fun as your own game skills develop. Good luck and good gaming!

Another small point to make is that scenarios that ship with the game/module are playable from either side...there are AI plans for both Axis and Allies. But that is not always the case with player-made scenarios; often in the "Battles" screen area, these scenarios don't indicate whether they can or can't be played by a particular side. You you want to know, just go into the editor and pull up the scenario in question, choose "AI" and check whether there are orders for either/both sides' groups.