Reassessment of Italian Combat Prowess

Well, I've just spotted the uber secret weapon of tedium that will change everything.

Yes, I can just see you now, huddled in a dark corner of your shed, the accursed object between your forehooves, a dim glow from it faintly illuminating your muzzle, a demonic gleam in your eyes. Woe betide the world! A deranged donkey with the power to destroy all!

Coming soon to a paddock near you.

Michael

ArgusEye, doubling down on howlers, I hadn't noticed for a while.

He wrote "not a countable infinity of countable infinities, because that would constitute another countable infinity. You can't switch cardinalities by simply raising your domain to the nth power."

No on one and yes on two. Any finite number of countable infinities is still countable, check. But no, a countable infinity of them is not "n" of them, and a countable infinity of countable infinities is uncountable.

ArgusEye, doubling down on howlers, I hadn't noticed for a while.

He wrote "not a countable infinity of countable infinities, because that would constitute another countable infinity. You can't switch cardinalities by simply raising your domain to the nth power."

No on one and yes on two. Any finite number of countable infinities is still countable, check. But no, a countable infinity of them is not "n" of them, and a countable infinity of countable infinities is uncountable.

Theorem: Let S be a set of sets, S1, S2, S3, ... . If S is finite or has the power Aleph Null, and if all sets S1, S2, S3, ... have the power Aleph Null, then the set of all objects belonging to these sets also has the power Aleph Null.

By hypothesis, every set S1, S2, S3, ... can be arranged in a sequence. Let us denote by x(i,j) the ith object in Sj. For instance, x(2,3) denotes the 2nd object in the 3rd sequence S3. Now there is only a finite number of terms x(i,j) with i+j equal to some number a. Hence we can arrange the terms with i+j=3, follow this by a sequence containting all terms with i+j=4, etc. Then we obtain a sequence containing each object occurring in any Sj at least once. Strike out the repetitions, and you have a sequence containing each of our objects exactly once.

This is the quickest proof of Cantor diagonalization constraining Aleph Null sets to the power ≤ Aleph Null to Aleph Null.

Now go hang your head in shame. When will it get through to you that mathematics is not a field where you can bluff your way through?

Now go hang your head in shame.

My thoughts exactly about both of you. There is something pathetic about watching two grown (?) men argue about crap like this in such a vitriolic manner on a wargame forum. What are you trying to prove, and to whom?

My thoughts exactly about both of you. There is something pathetic about watching two grown (?) men argue about crap like this in such a vitriolic manner on a wargame forum. What are you trying to prove, and to whom?

I don't think there is a math gamers forum....

Then again how the hell would I know. What I do know is I feel like I am listening to a big bang theory episode with Sheldon arguing with himself. Oddly enough that is sort of amusing.

Oh come on 76mm this is good clean fun. Totally incomprehensible of course but sure is classy compared to most forums : )

Sigh, by all means carry on then...at this point it is tough to complain about this thread being off-topic, but it would be nice if the two math professors would tone down the rhetoric.

Sigh, by all means carry on then...at this point it is tough to complain about this thread being off-topic...

Yeah, that mule died quite a few pages back. :D

...but it would be nice if the two math professors would tone down the rhetoric.

But it is the absurdity of all that vitriol that makes it so amusing. To think that grown men...

:D

Michael

Yeah, that mule died quite a few pages back. :D

But it is the absurdity of all that vitriol that makes it so amusing. To think that grown men...

Well, to move this thread in yet another, but hopefully slightly more useful, direction, how do you add the smilies to your posts on this forum??

...how do you add the smilies to your posts on this forum??

If you are quoting another post, as I am doing here, there is a small panel to the right of the composition window with all the smilies in it. Just click on the one(s) you want and it (they) will be inserted wherever the cursor is.

If you are using the quick reply window, there is a button below the bottom of the composition window that reads "Go Advanced". Click on that and you will get clickable smilies again.

Or you can just do as JonS suggests.

:)

Michael

From a US Intelligence Bulletin .... and possibly black propaganda

3. GERMAN-ITALIAN RELATIONS

Is there a spoke or two broken in the Axis ?

There have been many reports for a long time that

German and Italian soldiers do not get along well together.

The Italians are said to hate the Germans, and

the Germans, in turn, make sly remarks about the fighting

abilities of the Italians. Some of these reports have

come from official sources. The following extract from

a German publication captured in Libya seems to bear

out these reports:

" ITALIAN WAR COMMUNIQUE

"On the Tobruk front a large force of Italians attacked

an enemy cyclist, causing him to dismount.

After heavy and prolonged fighting they were able to

puncture his tires. The front wheel was destroyed, and

the loss of the rear wheel must also be considered

possible. The handlebars are in our hands, but possession

of the frame is still being bitterly contested.

"H. Q. Royal Italian Army"

The Japanese are said to make similar jokes about

their Siamese (Thailand) allies.

483778°—42—

They seem to have found it comforting to continue to refer to the American as "our junior partners" long after that had ceased to be the case, after D-Day for instance.

Michael

Is it not a US tradition to refer to younger generations as Junior? : ) Just because you are larger than your father does not change the fact.

Just as a point of interest the US that fought longest in the European theatres was the 3rd Infantry Division with 531 day [he next five units were 531,511,500,443,421, and 400] So in terms of experience a less than English divisions. The famous 7th Armoured , the Desert Rats, did prove that men can only go on fighting so long before they begin to feel that they have done their bit and more. Then surviving becomes important to them than glory.

Is it not a US tradition to refer to younger generations as Junior?

There is evidence that that was not always what was intended. Rather, the usage was more like, say, "the junior partner in a law firm", someone who doesn't have quite as good a handle on the business and therefore enjoys a lesser status. They clearly felt that they and not the US should be leading the Alliance.

While in certain areas their performance was superb, their conduct of the intelligence war for instance (centuries of practice of all forms of skullduggery plainly paid off here). They were also leaders in perfecting air to ground cooperation. On the other hand, they never quite seemed to get a handle on infantry-armor cooperation. Their use of infantry in offense left a lot to be desired as well. And so on.

The point is, both nations' forces were good at some things and not so good at others, but the Brits seem to have had a very hard time admitting their shortcomings and mistakes. Thus, they were very slow to learn from them. The Americans started out knowing almost nothing, but they learned, however slowly and painfully, and soon overtook their insular brethren.

Michael