New CMSF large map and mech heavy.Which side/nationality should fight?

I'm creating a new CMSF scenario loosely based on one of the Armour magazine Tactical Vignettes situations. The map is very large 2575m W and 4000m D which allows very long engagement distances, lot's of high speed manouver and even the possibility of some small scale MOUT. It's a fictional engagement 'somewhere in Eastern Europe or thereabouts' between two mech units (around company sized teams).

You have the opportunity to influence the force nationalities that fight in this.

Currently The US (Blue) are the ones pushing forward. Question is what nationality should the other side be. I originally though top quality Syrian mech stuff (T90s, BMP3 etc) but then thought well they could equally have Leopards or Challengers etc plus split-able teams.

So what nationalities would you like to see fight it out on this map? You can post here or PM me.

Also if you fancy taking it for a test run (seeing as it's the map is so big be useful to check the incidence of the old OOM issues in CMSF that used to affect large maps - I've got a beefier PC now so in test runs of this I've not had that issue as yet).

Cheery!

Leopards then Challengers then Syrian mech stuff (T90s, BMP3 etc) or all of the above versions to contrast and compare:D

Sounds like a huge map George MC but I would be happy to see how it runs on my Mac Pro. Count me in for a test spin.

Thanks,

GeorgeMC, your project sounds awesome. I would love to see a scenario dedicated to be used with the Euroscape mod.

So, the 2 nationalities i would love to see where either Brits and/or US Army vs Veteran Russian units. Would also fit Eastern Europe much better than the Syrians IMO.

So, how about these guys for example for the Russian OOB?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_4th_Guards_Kantemirovskaya_Tank_Division

Hit me with your reduced 2575 x 3000m Tactical Vignettes situation whenever you are ready. I will fire it up and let you know how it runs. Thanks GeorgeMC.

2575 x 3000m is still a very decent size battlefield.

I can't recall the max effective ranges of weapons, but since one hardly ever sees and shoots from and to the edge of the map, those dimensions would reduce the ranged firefights to 2500m or less.

Have you considered reducing the width but making it closer to 4K long again?

I can't recall the max effective ranges of weapons, but since one hardly ever sees and shoots from and to the edge of the map, those dimensions would reduce the ranged firefights to 2500m or less.

Have you considered reducing the width but making it closer to 4K long again?

I can't do 4km maps with rolling terrain, villages, woodland etc as I hit the OOM bug with CMSF. I can do them if they are just bare terrain - but 4km shooting matches over flattish terrain aren't all that much fun... If that floats your boat I have a trail map - really basic not even a scenario but you can drive Leopards and M1s around and shoot stuff.

Anyways this is academic as map is done and just putting finishing touches to OOB/Orders and victory conditions.

Sgt. Joch is correct, Sir George seldom plays small ball.

I did a test of his CMBN scenario, ‘Firebrigade’ a fictional large scale armoured meeting engagement (about a reduced battalion on each side i,e, several companies) on the Eastern Front in late July 1944. Map Size: 3232m x 3360m

My load times were @ 5:25 with Save Game files @ 50MB!

I have not played the scenario yet. Looks very impressive. Makes me wonder what kind of PC/Video Card set up he has to make and play these Huge Scenarios.

Re G's great-looking Fire Brigade scenario... I recall that after set-up and save (and exit), I couldn't get the saved game to load.

Was that solved or did one have to actually run the first turn b4 the savedgames were loadable, or some other trick to make it work?

Hi Guys

Cheers for the positive words. Nice to feel wanted :)

My PC is not all that big a deal. I'm at work right now but the spec is pretty average I guess. The windows experience rating (FWIW) is 5.9 - that's due to my old hard drive. Without that hard drive in the mix it gets a 6.9 (just got myself a GTX660Ti graphics card. prior to that my windows experience overall was 5.9). When I designed and played 'Firebrigade' that's what i was suing (the 5.9 rating). In CMBN prior to 2.00 I believe there were some out of memory issues but these were all fixed in 2.00 I've played 'Firebrigade' since then with no issue. It is worth noting though that large scenarios od push PCs. If your PC is at the lower end of the recommended spectrum for CMX2 then i suspect that large scenarios will crate issues with memory.

I think CMSF may have some old style OOM issues. I've encountered them when building this scenario in the editor. In saying that I've played this new CMSF scenario right through with no issues. For some reason I only get the memory issues when in the editor. If in doubt I would save often so if the game does go pop you can at least resume your game.

I'm pretty much close to having a beta version of this. I'm tweaking some Red AI Plans. Still have the Red briefing to do and the tac etc maps. I had hoped to get this done over the weekend but things ere a wee bit more hectic than initially planned. So realistically it may be the end of the week before this is all done.

The scenario is broadly based on the 'Zone Recon to LOA Steelers' I can't mind which one that is (3-96??!) but I have tweaked it to make it more of a varied and engaging scenario (least ways I hope so!).

Thanks again for the interest hopefully the scenario will live up to your expectations :)

Cheery!

336 views Sir George! Yeah it is good to feel wanted:)

Thanks for the information on you PC set up. My Mac Pro is not a "game rig" by any means but it lets me play most games on offer.

Erwin, I had no problem with one move plotted in a quick test of Fire Brigade. The saved game file loaded @ 1 minute faster that the initial loading.

Ready when you are Sir George. Thanks.

NK and/or China are the biggys of course. But, other than in the "Red Dawn" remake where they changed a Chinese invasion of the US to a laughable NK invasion, it's politically hard to make games on those subjects. Otherwise, we would have had Israel vs the Arabs years ago.

I think those who like to Thunder Run might want to download Euroscape version 1.0 by Dpabrams to get ready for Sir George's large map that is mech heavy. Modern warfare, especially mech heavy modern warfare just seems to fit better in Euroscape, IMO :)