Interrogative...

Gentlemen,

This question is posed to anyone that has played both Shock Force and Any of the WWII titles on the CMx2 engine. I'm aware that there are version differences between SF and the WWII versions. Have any who've played BFN or FI found this to be game-breaking or irksome? Not factoring in the absurd amount of content CMSF has to offer do the limitations of the early engine cause any problems at this point? I ask because of the issues that first arose when the CMSF engine was tested. Though I am aware of the patching that has been done, I am still wary that the older engine is still a hinderance. Am I wrong about this?

Gentlemen,

This question is posed to anyone that has played both Shock Force and Any of the WWII titles on the CMx2 engine. I'm aware that there are version differences between SF and the WWII versions. Have any who've played BFN or FI found this to be game-breaking or irksome? Not factoring in the absurd amount of content CMSF has to offer do the limitations of the early engine cause any problems at this point? I ask because of the issues that first arose when the CMSF engine was tested. Though I am aware of the patching that has been done, I am still wary that the older engine is still a hinderance. Am I wrong about this?

It's very subjective question. My best advice would be to play the demo's and get a feel for yourself. As to your original question, the two engines are very similar (in my opinion), except for the new features such as armour cover arc, trenches that are subject to fog of war and more detailed icons. I still play both and I do not notice much difference (I might be blind though :)).

I picked up the OSX version of CMSF a few weeks ago when it came out and have playing it a fair bit recently.

Definitely nothing "game breaking" missing in CMSF. There are a few things to adjust to. The way ammo levels are displayed in the UI in CMSF is just plain wrong; always has been IMHO and it's very good they changed this for CMBN/FI. And I'd definitely love to have CMx2 2.0 Cover Armor Arcs in CMSF.

But for the most part, it plays pretty similarly. Switching between CMSF & CMBN/FI, I find the the bigger adjustment is the tactical mentality required one modern battlefield; the engine/UI differences are a minor concern after this.

It's very subjective question. My best advice would be to play the demo's and get a feel for yourself. As to your original question, the two engines are very similar (in my opinion), except for the new features such as armour cover arc, trenches that are subject to fog of war and more detailed icons. I still play both and I do not notice much difference (I might be blind though :)).

I appreciate the suggestion and I did consider the demo. However as a college student throwing off the yokes of old by using a state-of-the-art Mac (and I say that tongue in check) the demo will not work with the tools I used. I have only the experience when I tried the demo years ago and the word of the lovely people here to rely on

Both stikkypixie & YankeeDog give good advice. Nothing "game breaking" is missing in CMSF MAC. More user generated battles "the absurd amount of content CMSF has to offer" than you may have time to fight. With all the modules as a complete package, it really makes the game much more complete than the base with another module. Add DPA's complete Eurofacation of CMSF and that is another theater!

"Switching between CMSF & CMBN/FI, I find the the bigger adjustment is the tactical mentality required one modern battlefield... " agreed.

If you have CM FI/BN/CW try to keep your CMSF MAC hotkeys set up as close as possible especially if you play RT.

I have some CMSF MAC sound mod issues (can't get the CMSF PC sound mods to play in Mac) but that is not a game breaker at all.

It's a great shame that CMSF isn't more flexible in terms of creating scenarios from the world's news. If it featured French units, we could be playing the Mali situation. Also, the terrain is limited, so it's hard/impossible to create other realistic environments.

These features wouold make CMSF much more relevant and current (although admittedly Syria is pretty current). However, wold be great to simulate other ME conflicts with other nations.

Initially I had the same thought when considering buying the Mac version of CMSF: will I be disappointed with CMSF after CMBN and CMFI? But I was pleasantly surprised, and haven't found anything that ruined the experience for me. Quite the opposite, it makes for a very refreshing change after the WW2 games.

As Buzz says there is a LOT of content available. Not sure I will ever get through it all. I think the Mac Bundle of CMSF is the best value for money wargame purchase I've had in a long time.

Isnt CMSF2 going to be about NATO vs Russia? So guess France, Turkey and Israel would be possible candidates. Maybe they are going to be in the modules.

I think NATO vs Russia is CMSF MAC 2?

Someone more knowledgeable than myself may point out what equipment France, Turkey and Israel currently have. Might be able to approximate a scenario if you wanted to with CMSF MAC now.

Interesting as all three countries are currently abuzz with military activities. Israel's strike in Syria! Turkey's border issues and France's Mali intervention.

• 6 months later...

after getting the 2.0 upgrade for CMBN seems to me the UI is a bit more intuitive and crisper. ability to move a waypoint makes vehicle movement easier to handle.

but altering between SF and BN too, TOE and terrain are too different compared to the few new stuff in BN

CMBN has a more advanced engine than CMSF (tweaked, improved, etc.) but still the same basic engine. CMFI brought even more advanced features. CMBN then caught up to CMFI with CMBN v2.00. The two of them (CMBN v2 and CMFI) are very similar to CMSF. If you can play, and enjoy, CMSF, then either of the WWII titles will make you feel right at home. Check their forums out.

Ken

I have all of the Shock Force and Combat Mission games. I haven't played Shock Force in a long time. All I can say from playing Combat Mission is to play h2h as soon as you feel comfortable doing so. A completely different experience. Many of the things you learn/do against the AI will lead to disaster against a human opponent.

I would also try playing Ironman or the equivalent in SF against the AI. I started doing so in Combat Mission and it completely changes the experience when playing against the AI.

We have some h2h ladder games going on with Normandy and Italy and I setup the game to be in Ironman mode. Never played a human like that so I don't know what its like or what I'm getting into. I do feel players do have too much information in some of the other modes, on the other hand it may be too fustrating playing with too much realism.