So How Good Are You in Combat Mission?

Time to find out who are the brilliant Generals and who are the great pretenders of 1944.

Now you can record your individual battle results for all of history (or until your Hard Drive fails) and have visual proof to display to your opponents that you can never be beaten. Introducing the "Combat Mission Battle for Normandy - Theater Operations Reporter". This is a simple to use Excel Workbook for you to enter all of your Single Player and Mutliplayer results into and see just how many pixeltruppen you have ever sent to their deaths. Using the 'Combined Casualty Report Workbook' I'm currently using for the Few Good Men Operation Overlord Narrative Campaign as a base, it's now been re-purposed for individual player use.

So what do you get?

Every time you enter data you get....

- Automatically updated stats about how you are performing overall and with each regiment type.

TheaterOperationsRecorder2_zps60dfc7d2.jpg

- Automatically updated graphs to show visually how you perform with each regiment type, infantry and armoured forces.

TheaterOperationsRecorder_zpsc7319e24.jpg

- Compare results between battles you play against the AI and human opponents.

What do you need to do?

- Have a copy of MS Excel handy. (Don't worry it will be invented in 1985).

- After every game take a screenshot of the AAR screen and enter the details into the respective blank cells in the datasheet. The workbook will take care of the rest.

TheatreOperationsRecorder_zpse29bba46.jpg

For example if you played a game with a UK Infantry force you would plus one to the number in respective cell in the top box along the row labeled 'UK Infantry'. Then move to the second box below, entering the damage you caused against the enemy in the green cells along the row labeled 'UK Infantry' and then the losses in the red cells further to the right. So it looks something like the picture above. That's it. Don't enter or change anything in cells with numbers (including 0's) already filled as these will auto update when required.

- Blue coloured tabbed worksheets are for single player games. Red tabs are for multiplayer matches.

How do I get it?

Version 1.0 is available from the following link.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/51696551/CMBN%20Theater%20Operations%20Reporter%20%28v1.0%29.xlsx

Cost?

Nothing (of course). But if I ever play you in a match please be kind with off map artillery. :D

Enjoy! Any questions or bugs you catch in the system please let me know. I'll update it and make it 'user updating friendly' when future modules are released.

I had a look at your spread sheet @Ithikial_AU - it is a nice piece of work. There are two things I notice about this: 1) I usually do not have only infantry or only armor forces in quick battles or scenarios. Such combined arms forces do not seem to have a home in your system. 2) I would like to be able to filter the multi player results by opponent name. I play against many opponents many many times so it would be nice to see the pie show me all results or filtered by a particular opponent.

Given that the database is for single player against the AI, i would of re phrased the OP title to "How good are you at beating up a blind cripple".:D

Hmm..not sure why I have to save scum so often then I find the tac ai and how that operates can even out the battlefield, infact if I didn't do that I've very rarely win.

I had a look at your spread sheet @Ithikial_AU - it is a nice piece of work.

2) 1) I usually do not have only infantry or only armor forces in quick battles or scenarios. Such combined arms forces do not seem to have a home in your system.

The whole purpose of the tool is meant to show how you perform with each regiment type over time. You are meant to use this as a ongoing 'tool' to record all of your battles not start a new workbook after every game. If you play a game with no armour or no infantry simply don't change the number in the respective cell when entering results.

The graphs are separated between vehicles and infantry because the infantry numbers would dwarf the vehicle numbers after about two or three games and you'd have scale problems making the graphs look funny.

2) I would like to be able to filter the multi player results by opponent name. I play against many opponents many many times so it would be nice to see the pie show me all results or filtered by a particular opponent.

I did think of that while building it but it would require using Pivot Tables/Charts which can get a bit confusing for people who don't use Excel much. Also at work (I do economic analysis as a day job) I've sometimes run into little problems with Pivot Charts when MS Excel updates itself. Followed the KISS principle - Keep it Simple Stupid. ;) Nothing stopping you keeping a record of opponents separately on another worksheet though - workbook is completely open for editing.

Given that the database is for single player against the AI, i would of re phrased the OP title to "How good are you at beating up a blind cripple".:D

The tool does allow you to record Multiplayer and Single player separately and it's all colour coded so you don't mix them up. :P If you think the AI is a blind cripple I expect to see the proof with a lot of dark green on your graphs. Time to put your money on the table. :D

The tool does allow you to record Multiplayer and Single player separately and it's all colour coded so you don't mix them up. :P If you think the AI is a blind cripple I expect to see the proof with a lot of dark green on your graphs. Time to put your money on the table. :D

I do like your database, i just wouldn't waste my time playing the AI, i like to know there's a person hurting on the other side when a plan comes together :D

As for multiplayer, i don't play enough games to warrant using it.

The whole purpose of the tool is meant to show how you perform with each regiment type over time. You are meant to use this as a ongoing 'tool' to record all of your battles not start a new workbook after every game. If you play a game with no armour or no infantry simply don't change the number in the respective cell when entering results.

I'm not getting it - sorry. So, if I fight a QB against an opponent and I have a Platoon of tanks and a Company of infantry how do you expect that to get recorded? I have done that many times. Right now I have a battle going where I have a Platoon of infantry and a Platoon of tanks. What will I do with that one?

I'm not getting it - sorry. So, if I fight a QB against an opponent and I have a Platoon of tanks and a Company of infantry how do you expect that to get recorded? I have done that many times. Right now I have a battle going where I have a Platoon of infantry and a Platoon of tanks. What will I do with that one?

Ith can probably give you a more detailed answer, but in the Overlord campaign, the "major formations" (mostly infantry/airborne with subordinate armor units) were the determinant. Since this system gives you overall stats, with a platoon of infantry and a platoon of tanks, you could have two entries: UK Infantry and UK tanks, for example. In that case, you'd need to check each unit after the battle to see the damage they caused individually in order to get total damage caused by each unit.

Ith can probably give you a more detailed answer, but in the Overlord campaign, the "major formations" (mostly infantry/airborne with subordinate armor units) were the determinant. Since this system gives you overall stats, with a platoon of infantry and a platoon of tanks, you could have two entries: UK Infantry and UK tanks, for example. In that case, you'd need to check each unit after the battle to see the damage they caused individually in order to get total damage caused by each unit.

You can do it like MJK suggests, however most scenarios you play you are using forces from a specific type of regiment with some support from other areas. ie the Scottish Corridor Campaign follows the actions of UK Infantry formations as a base. Personally I go with where I've spent most of my points in a match to determine the type of regiment. If I chose a German Panzer Grenadier Company as the bulk of my force in a QB or PBEM, that's the row I would enter the result into.

You can do it like MJK suggests, however most scenarios you play you are using forces from a specific type of regiment with some support from other areas. ie the Scottish Corridor Campaign follows the actions of UK Infantry formations as a base. Personally I go with where I've spent most of my points in a match to determine the type of regiment. If I chose a German Panzer Grenadier Company as the bulk of my force in a QB or PBEM, that's the row I would enter the result into.

OK thanks guys I can see that working for most instances. I'll flip a coin if I cannot make the call :)