Aris Vehicle Thread...

FI terrain textures are so good that at first I decided it wasn´t worth the effort to improve them, moreover I didn´t even feel I could anyway, so it was a wasted effort everytime I tried to add something better looking to the stock graphics. Some of them are almost perfect to me, so eventually i decided to forget the project. But, man, I can´t resist the temptation to add something here and there. So I started selecting the ones that would be easily improved by entirely modifying them(just seven or eight textures actually) and on the ones that look superb I simply tried to retouch to further improve them. The task is daunting, but worth the effort. This is just an example of a new plough field.

CMFortressItaly2012-10-2721-02-04-33b.jpg

If you are interested I may post some more. Not that I have many of them so far and the differences on some of them is not so big, but well..., modding is fun... ;)

After the improvements your ground textures made to CMBN, I am fully confident that these new CMFI textures will be a considerable improvement over the stock ones, even considering how good the stock ones are. Very much looking forward to them.

If I may offer a tiny piece of criticism (which you are free to ignore, obviously), I find the size of the rocks in the Heavy Rocks texture pic above too regular and consistent. I prefer the more varied size and somewhat scattered effect of the original. Yours appears closer to a man-made culvert or something similar to my eyes.

Great work here!

As for the terrain I would apply the same dusty treatment you're using for the vehicles: this is particularly true for Sicily in the Summer; so as e.g. for the rocks for sure varying their sizes and distribution would help, and even more if you cover them in yellow/whitish dust eventually spreading it irregularly, I believe...

Well done Aris!

I'll make an attempt to answer that-looking at the vehicle mdr files they don't reference the bmp vehicles files by name i.e. fiat626-wheel.bmp or fiat626-wheel_normal map.bmpThey have the name hull and wheels. Is this the wireframe , the bmps I don't know. (NOTE: Some mdr flavor object mdr files DO reference specific bmp's) But the game somewhere reads the vehicle mdr and combines the hull and wheel bmp with the normal map.

The texture files for the terrain have no mdr file.

What I would do is just make a normal map of the texture and see what happens.

Name for example for the normal map for FI's ground pavement2.bmp would be saved as

ground pavement2_normal map.bmp

and drop in the Z file and see what happens.

FWIW

I looked at the file for pavement-it has no mdr file-but it has the bump maps.:D:confused::D That may be good news-somewhere the game combines the two.

Hmm can you try fooling or spoofing the game that the ground texture is pavement texture.(I don't know if there is a ceiling on the number of bump mapped pavement texture to be in game. But there may be.)

the pavement texture is numbered in a series to be called up in a scenario editor. highway 3a.bmp but it also may be a code to tell the game to combine the bmp with a normal map. Somethings reading the files numbers to combine.

Take our friend again terrain texture ground pavement2.bmp and rename it

ground pavement2 1a.bmp

and the normal map

ground pavement2 1a_normal map.bmp

Note there is a space between the file name and the next 'x'a digit.

And just because the other road map tiles doesn't have bump maps doesn't mean they wouldn't work-what is so special about the one in highway italy w bump maps EXCEPT they were provided bump maps.

Thanks for the tips, but...

Take our friend again terrain texture ground pavement2.bmp and rename it

ground pavement2 1a.bmp

and the normal map

ground pavement2 1a_normal map.bmp

The game engine doesn´t recognize the texture and loads the default one. I think we are tied to what we have.