Aris Vehicle Thread...

Mod is 95% ready, Doodads will come in a separate Pack, as they must blend with the new textures color balance (stock ones are way to green as it happened in CMBN...). Most of the new textures are new now and are HD (bigger size, better detail) so the mod will be quite big in size...so I will use CMMMODS exclusively to avoid file splitting, just one file is what I look for. Regarding performance,...I bet you won´t notice the difference,...

Aris - Im very irritated with you.. in a good way. I had to get a new laptop and replace ALL of your goddamned mods for CMBN and CMFI. Do you have any idea of how many friggin mods you've made?!?! It's like actual work trying to get them all!

lol!

seriously though, out of laziness I've been playing unmodded for a week or two and since I added them. its like a different game. Since I first got introduced to the CMBO beta in 99 I dont think anyone EXCEPT battlefront has put in so much effort to the game. thank you again.

Uploading to CMMODs, this is version 1.0 or 0.9 I should say (as you may find some bugs,...no testers were harmed in the making of this mod after all) I may update it someday,...or not.

It seemed impossible to me at first, but I think I have improved the terrain,...time (and you guys) will tell...File size...270 MBs!

This has been the most challenging mod I have ever made...in any game...Terrain Modding is not as easy as vehicle modding to me. Enjoy!

P.S: I haven´t modded trees and some other foliage. 95% of doodads are modded anyway, and I think you may notice the difference this makes now. No walls were modded either, this "may" come in a future mod ( I should say "WILL").

Aris - Im very irritated with you.. in a good way. I had to get a new laptop and replace ALL of your goddamned mods for CMBN and CMFI. Do you have any idea of how many friggin mods you've made?!?! It's like actual work trying to get them all!

lol!

I have been thinking about creating a Torrent file which has all of my mods in just one pack, just unzip and drop to Z( that would be good, huh? ;) , well,...maybe, one of these days,...

I keep a backup on an external drive. I keep a folder with all of the downloaded ZIP files and I have a copy of the Z folder with all of the unzipped mods. If I have to reinstall windows or move to a new computer it is very easy to copy and paste the Z folder to the new computer.

Very nice. Good work!

Oh, and we're no gods or something, just doing what we can to make a good game. Actually there are a lot of graphics artists out there whose talent makes my cry when I look at my attempts at creating textures... :D

Anyway, thanks for the laurels, but you deserve some too. And one of those days you may even be asked to come aboard - who knows?

I've tried your Terrain Pack - it's a improvement indeed! What I didn't find to my liking are washed-out doodads who match the ground colours and thus aren't as visible as they (by my humble opinion) should be. They are also too grey in coparison to other bushes and trees. I already got my solution since if I use vanilla doodads everything looks just perfect for my personal taste.

Bravo Aris and may the modding Gods be with you for a long time! :D

I think that BFC deserve to have the README for this Mod pasted here:

When I first unpacked the original, stock Terrain textures of CMFI, in the search of something to be modded and improved, I realized that the development team had gone on steroids as compared to CMBN. I sighed, in disbelief, staring at the beauty of a work well, very well done, possibly way out of my scope as a modder. Thus, I said to myself, well, bud, just play it, then.

And I played it, sure I did, but after some time, I found some features, some textures that could, (should, from a modder standpoint...) improved. I could see a tiny possibility there.

I make mods for myself, because I have fun in the process. I wish you could feel what I feel after a new texture is loaded in the editor and feels like an improvement. Addicting sensation. But this was a daunting task. A difficult, frustrating one...a challenge, and well...I love challenges because they help me improve and learn.

So here you are, my humble attempt at improving something made by pros, something made by people who know how to make games shine.

GaJ

One more thing - your and vanilla distant ground do not fit well with distant hills. What do you think about matching distant ground colour and texture pattern more with distant hills? Have you done any experiments on this already?

I may give it a try. The problem is that Distant Ground BMP is repeteadly used and tiled. It MUST be seamless, good looking from closer ranges and far away. Blended with the terrain and the distant mountains too,...quite a challenge. Blending it with distant terrain would imply a very diffuse and blurred bitmap from close range, so it´s kind of a compromise. Regarding color, it may better blended with mountains, but not with the game terrain itself...but I will give it a go someday this week.

One more thing - your and vanilla distant ground do not fit well with distant hills. What do you think about matching distant ground colour and texture pattern more with distant hills? Have you done any experiments on this already?

This is one experiment ;) Learning to make distant grounds, I ended up with something more suitable for Tunisia though,...:)

CMFortressItaly2012-10-3117-35-46-59b.jpg