BigDork vs Tiresias - Seizing the Windmill - American Version

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TURN 44 & 45

While I have ordered the Priest to cease fire, any Germans positioned near the windmills were not given a reprieve. My mortar strike starts falling all around the windmills and looks to accurately be hitting in the positions that Tiresias may have positioned his men.

Even as the mortars were falling I was pushing my men forward. 10 seconds before the end of the turn the barrage ended. Perfect timing for me to order my men forward. The Germans should still be shocked and taking cover and ripe for the picking.

turn451.jpg

It truly does. With around 50 HE rounds the thing is a killer. Of course it's also fragile and has to be babied.

And if one does go up you do *not* want anyone to be hear by. For that matter if one is burning stay away. The cooking off explosions can be just as big.

PriestCookOff.jpg

From the new game:

From CM 1x:

My personal favorite allied AFV is the 105 Sherman. It can deal every bit as devastating a blow as the Priest and does not require babying. Just as dangerous if they are burning though. And no available in Sicily. :-(

In CM5, you realize that when you agreed to the d/l terms, you have actually JOINED the Army!

(And some will STILL be demanding more realism!)

:)

Can you imagine the drill instructors when all us geezers start showing up and then challenging them on the firing characteristics of our MGs and Mortars?

Somehow I think our discussion of snippy responses will have a whole new dimension...

• 1 month later...

Back to the action...

I find myself having issues sealing the deal. Tiresias has taken a last stand on the reverse slope of the top of the hill and my men are too fragile and shaken to push forward. I tried to move my Priest forward and blast away the final resistance but all I ended up with was a dead .50 cal gunner for my troubles.

My best luck has been with this lone squad behind the stone wall. The protection of the wall has allowed them to not get shot up instantly and while they still panic every time some bullets fly their way they quickly recover and start firing on the stubborn Nazis.

turn511.jpg

Here's an overview of how things are right now. I've got Tiresias pushed back but not broken. My Priest crew has recovered and I'm slowly moving it forward in another attempt to blast away the last of the Germans. If that fails I think I still may have the upper hand because I've driven the enemy from the village and the windmills. If I do end up calling a quit to the fighting I should have enough of a hold on the terrain to still at least get a tactical win. Not quite as satisfying but a win is a win and Tiresias has proven an excellent opponent.

turn512.jpg

The noose continues to close in on the remaining Germans. Though my infantry are tired and easily broken from the days fighting they still push the Germans away from the windmill. I'm not sure infantry alone would be enough to clear the battlefield. Thankfully I have more than infantry... I still have my Priest.

turn541.jpg

Seeing the writing on the walls and wanting to spare his last few men Tiresias has called for a cease fire. I graciously accepted to prevent any my pixel men from needless death. What a hard fought battle!!! There were a few times when I really wasn't sure I was going to make it. Tiresias put up on heck of a defense.

end1.jpg

The number of men I have left is a bit deceiving. Many of them are support troops and have little to no combat power. The silver star goes to 3rd squad of 3rd platoon. They were in the push to clear the village and then moved up the hill and helped to clear out the remaining Germans. At the end of the battle they were one of my only squads who was still an effective fighting force having only lost a couple men and never breaking. Through the battle the wracked up an impressive 20 kills.

end2o.jpg

I'll post a lot of thoughts and opinions after I've digested this a bit. I'm gonna read back through my AAR and check out Tiresias' and wrap this all up.

BigDork,

I did not see that coming! I figured that Tiresias's ferocious defense, which pretty much ruined your men as a fighting force, would've yielded a much smaller victory margin. Would definitely call your last turn spectacular! Your casualties were horrible, his annihilating. Am amazed his force didn't simply break long before. Well done and quite the thrilling read!

Regards,

John Kettler

BigDork,

I did not see that coming! I figured that Tiresias's ferocious defense, which pretty much ruined your men as a fighting force, would've yielded a much smaller victory margin. Would definitely call your last turn spectacular! Your casualties were horrible, his annihilating. Am amazed his force didn't simply break long before. Well done and quite the thrilling read!

Regards,

John Kettler

I feel the same way! I was really doubting I would be able to push over that hill and destroy the rest of the defenders. Almost all of my remaining infantry were broken and fragile and as soon as they were shot at they would panic. If I didn't have the Priest in close support I think it would have been impossible to do more than stalemate Tiresias.

Tiresias made an interesting move by going with veteran infantry with high motivation. He got fewer men but boy did they fight with determination. I'm not sure if having more men but not as skilled and resilient would have gotten better results or not. Either way it was a hard fought battle and a lot of fun. We're gonna start up a new battle after the New Year so keep an eye out. :)

BigDork,

I didn't know he did that, but it would explain his resilience. But 105m shells in direct fire exceed the elastic limits of resilience!

As I noted to Tiresias, in the larger scale, you'd likely have a problem. The Germans routinely preregistered their positions, so that if they were overrun or the defenders had to retreat, the area could be pounded before a German counterattack occurred. In other words, you're probably not going to get the time to regroup and consolidate the position before the Germans come charging in--on the heels of that fire strike.

Much ugly fighting lies ahead. Isn't being in command great? "Dear Mrs. Smith, I'm writing to tell you your son..."

I look forward to your next clash and may manage to get another one going here.

Regards,

John Kettler

BigDork,

This was great. I really enjoyed the struggle. You two went at this like heavyweights in a slugfest. In the end you prevailed and that Priest sure helped. It just shows how important it is to safeguard some of your particular assets for use in the endgame. If you had lost that vehicle to an AT gun or that Marder, you might have been hardpressed to overwhelm Tiresias at the end, with a somewhat brittle force.

We are, of course, looking forward to the next battle. You both lay out details and keep us in the thick of the fight so nicely.

Thanks again.

Heinrich505