What's in the truck?

Ted

This may be a silly question but I just want to make sure.

In a certain German truck I can acquire 7.92 and 9mm rounds.

The 7.92mm work with rifles and MG's and the 9mm pistols and MP40's, correct?

Are there ever any other ammunition you may find in a German truck such as 'fausts or grenades, that kind of thing?

Thanks!

I notice too American half-tracks often carry bazookas.

I just started to acquire the ammunition out of a truck during the setup phase rather than wait until a unit is low or out of ammo and run it back to the truck to acquire more.

The manual says units will share ammo if they are within a certain distance of each other. So why not grab what you can at the start?

Any idea how much extra ammo becomes detrimental for a squad to carry?

Thanks!

I notice too American half-tracks often carry bazookas.

I just started to acquire the ammunition out of a truck during the setup phase rather than wait until a unit is low or out of ammo and run it back to the truck to acquire more.

The manual says units will share ammo if they are within a certain distance of each other. So why not grab what you can at the start?

Any idea how much extra ammo becomes detrimental for a squad to carry?

Yeah, I like to stock up on ammo - especially heavy MG units, and the platoon(s) I anticipate will be in the fighting for the longest time. No point leaving it on the truck behind the lines - it's usually too hectic and dangerous to bring it up to the lines to resupply in the middle of a battle.

Nothing worse than running out, or low, on ammo when they are holding a position or are needed for a final push.

It's also nice to give my anti-tank team(s) extra fausts.

I've also noticed that halftracks carry AP ammo, while trucks carry "normal" ammo. Both are interchangeable, btw. I like givng my heavy MG42 an extra 1000 rounds of AP ammo. It should be a bit more effective against jeeps and other light vehicles, or at least more effective for a longer range I'm thinking.

I haven't noticed any detrimental effects for carrying extra ammo.

I do this too, it just flat out takes too long to do it in battle - restocking 2 squads can take 5 WeGo turns and that's not even counting the time to move to and from the truck/HT.

Hopefully BF will be able to alter the implementation at some stage so that you can Acquire while standing next to the vehicle ( abstracting a guy inside passing the stuff out ). (hope hope :) )

Haven't noticed any weight/speed issues although I guess they are there, I just don't run my guys that fast that it's become a problem. Typically I add 1k rounds to an HMG and 500 extra to a normal squad.

You know, you can be "nearby" a vehicle and get ammo from it.

I wonder what distance is considered "nearby"

From the manual:

"Note: while soldiers automatically can share ammo without explicitly being ordered to (from nearby vehicles, or from nearby infantry units in their formation,

as well as through buddy aid), the Acquire command gives you greater direct control."

You know, you can be "nearby" a vehicle and get ammo from it.

I wonder what distance is considered "nearby"

From the manual:

"Note: while soldiers automatically can share ammo without explicitly being ordered to (from nearby vehicles, or from nearby infantry units in their formation,

as well as through buddy aid), the Acquire command gives you greater direct control."

Yeah, but how long is a truck going to last on the front lines of some crazy battle?

This is useful for mortars or heavy weaps way back behind the lines - but not much use for squads battling it out on the front.

The thing is, ammo restocking is not a very fast process. You have a limited amount of clips or magazines and filling them with cartridges is tedious. You can stock up a squad with thousands of rounds of ammo in the blink of an eye in RT mode.

Also, ammunition is very heavy. Carrying lots of rounds tires squads in CMx2 but in my opinion it should be more pronounced. Go climb a hill while carrying hundreds of rounds of rifle ammo in addition to all the other stuff. There's a reason why 5.56 and 5.45 came to be.

This whole discussion brought some memories. It sucks to fill the belt of a PKM. It sucks tremendously. 7.62x54 rounds and the belts for them apparently didn't have very strict manufacturing tolerances. So you constantly end up with rounds that either slip out of the belt or won't go in unless you exert tremendous force. A very slow process. Especially when it's -25C and you have to take the gloves off to retain dexterity. But the food was warm and nobody was shooting at us and we got to eat donuts back in base. So I'm not really complaining.

They were really good donuts.

You can get fausts in halftracks

Actually... Not only are there no Fausts in the game there aren't any halftracks either! :) Well, no 251s, anyway. The smaller 250s are in armored Aufklarung units. No Fausts and no Shreks in the title. Tank hunter teams have rifle grenades.

You can get fausts in halftracks - not sure about grenades, though. Usually halftracks have at least one panzerfaust.

Not in CMFI - neither Panzerfaust nor Panzerschreck were yet fielded during Husky so those are things that we will see in later modules. Historically you would see some Püppchens in Sicily but that's not included for some reason. Maybe it will be included in the modules, too.

Well dang if Mikey didn't post a minute before. :)

Ammo sharing between footslogger teams only starts to work when one team is out, or almost out, of a given ammo type. It only works within platoons (or sections). I think vehicle ammo sharing observes the first restriction, but don't know if it follows the second.

Some vehicles in "the franchise" (don't have CMFI and know diddly squat about TOE of the era) will also have mortar ammo in them. Jeeps also can carry bazookas and bombs for 'em. No grenades, no spare demo packs or other ancillary weapons. So far.