Problems installing CMFI

Hi,

My CMBN and CMCW games are installed in c:/programfile/combat mission battle for normandy. Both work fine. But when I install CMFI in this directory I just get a new game subfolder Combat Mission Fortress Italy. Not sure what to do here.

Can anyone tell me what the path should be? I cant mess around either cause ive already uninstalled it once.

Question two: How do I unlicence because none of the documentation on the site seems to work.

Thanks,

Mike

Hi,

My CMBN and CMCW games are installed in c:/programfile/combat mission battle for normandy. Both work fine. But when I install CMFI in this directory I just get a new game subfolder Combat Mission Fortress Italy. Not sure what to do here.

Can anyone tell me what the path should be? I cant mess around either cause ive already uninstalled it once.

Question two: How do I unlicence because none of the documentation on the site seems to work.

Thanks,

Mike

What windows version are you using? You shouldn't have to alter the default path, which should be Program Files (x86) for the game and other stuff that goes into my documents. The CMFI install is going to be different than the CMBN / CW install because Microsoft requires the specified path in order for the game to work (if I remember correctly). Don't alter the default installation path and it should work just fine.

I don't think there is a separate unlicensing anymore. You just uninstall and I think the game takes care of the rest. Even for CMSF modules if you just uninstalled the unlicensing seemed to happen automatically with a brief prompt as I recall.

Moon will be the expert with this stuff though so you may want to post something in the tech support forum

Not exactly sure what the problem here is, but due to Windows 8 security measures CMFI installs very differently than previous CM games. So the fact it isn't installing the same way is normal. Also, CMFI is a "stand alone" game and therefore has absolutely nothing to do with any existing installs. Sounds like you're expecting it to install like a Module, which it isn't.

Short of it is... looks like everything installed just fine. Try launching the EXE from within the Italy folder and I think you'll find everything works.

You can install and uninstall a game as many times as you like. The game doesn't care. What it does care about are "activations". This is done once you launch the game for the first time and you are prompted to enter a code. After you do that you will consume one license. It is computer specific so you can still install/uninstall as many times as you want and you won't have to relicense for that computer. Only when you "activate" on another computer will you consume another one of your licenses.

Steve

And certain hardware changes can trigger an activation also. I had to use up another CMBN activation when I swapped CPUs. Nothing else was changed.

Oh yeah! Definitely there is that possibility. Didn't seem likely in this context :D

Steve,

Thats it. I was expecting it to install as a module and I didnt know where the in and out folders where until I read another post. Only problem I have now is H2H wont pick up the file but ill find away around that.

Excellent! Glad you're all straight now.

Steve

When i installed CMBN (not the CW module) i told it to place it in my D drive as i have split drives, that worked fine, however when i came to install CMFI, it put a folder called Battlefront containing all the sub folders into my C drive, and when i tried to move it to my D drive it wouldn't read the scenarios and consequently they didn't appear on the list until i returned the folder to it's default location on the C drive.

So now i have to have a copy of the Battlefront folder on my D drive as i re install a copy of my C drive when i think something nasty has got on my PC, so is there a way i can direct CMFI to look in the Battlefront folder on my D drive and not the one in the default C drive location ?

To digress...

After I first installed CMFI, I (of course) ran the program immediately, or at least attempted to. This didn't work because my trusty Norton anti viral system had taken it upon itself to decide that the CMFI exe file was a serious viral threat and in consequence quarantined it. After I had sorted that little problem out I had no more trouble.

Has anyone else had the same thing happen to them?

SLR

To digress...

After I first installed CMFI, I (of course) ran the program immediately, or at least attempted to. This didn't work because my trusty Norton anti viral system had taken it upon itself to decide that the CMFI exe file was a serious viral threat and in consequence quarantined it. After I had sorted that little problem out I had no more trouble.

Has anyone else had the same thing happen to them?

SLR

Exactly the same.

Norton is our enemy. We don't know why, but it hates us despite us doing nothing wrong as far as we can tell. Our standard advice is to disable Norton when doing an installation. It's been bad before, but it seems to be getting worse.

And we are not alone. For many years now I've seen many people joke that Norton itself is a virus :D

Steve

When i installed CMBN (not the CW module) i told it to place it in my D drive as i have split drives, that worked fine, however when i came to install CMFI, it put a folder called Battlefront containing all the sub folders into my C drive, and when i tried to move it to my D drive it wouldn't read the scenarios and consequently they didn't appear on the list until i returned the folder to it's default location on the C drive.

So now i have to have a copy of the Battlefront folder on my D drive as i re install a copy of my C drive when i think something nasty has got on my PC, so is there a way i can direct CMFI to look in the Battlefront folder on my D drive and not the one in the default C drive location ?

Maybe someone can offer a work around, but as far as I know we are following procedures that were started for Vista and are now required for Windows 8. And that means, as far as I know, there's nothing we can do to help. I know for sure that when we first started the design to comply with Windows 8 this came up as an immediate (and obvious) concern which apparently Microsoft provided no work around for. Seems they assume you always have room on your primary drive and/or always want to use it.

Steve

Partial aside, I don't understand the criticism that "CM is teh only game that does this!!!" No, no it isn't. Most of the game I have (and I have a lot of them) split their save files into MyDocuments. And it's getting more common, and will very soon be standard, if it isn't already. This is just the way things are done now, people will have to adapt.

• 4 weeks later...
Norton is our enemy. We don't know why, but it hates us despite us doing nothing wrong as far as we can tell. Our standard advice is to disable Norton when doing an installation. It's been bad before, but it seems to be getting worse.

And we are not alone. For many years now I've seen many people joke that Norton itself is a virus :D

Steve

With Fortress Italy it's not just installation that's a problem with Norton. Even after I had rescued the .exe file from quarantine after installation, Norton 360 v5.0 would swoop in and re-quarantine the file every time I'd try to run Fortress Italy. I finally figured out how to tell Norton to leave the .exe file alone, and now it works fine.