A 96 year old man plays Combat Mission!

After reading the comments section of the 96% review of Commonwealth at Armchair General, I found this little gem:

My Dad is an amazingly spry 93 year old man with an incredible history. He fought in both WW2 and Korea. His last 2 weeks in the service just happened to coincide with the Cuban Missile Crisis. His war stories are numerous and to the best of my knowledge, true.

The craziest part is that he’s still a grognard. The game he chooses to play, and the only game(s) he plays is the Combat Mission series. He feels that these games model tank warfare better than most. Who am I to argue? I wasn’t there when Patton pissed in the river, Dad was.

It’s the coolest thing in the world to watch my father put together a custom map and play a battle he fought in real life. When I play one of his maps he provides a play by play which I cannot even describe the feelings that rumble around as I’m doing the usual sterile act of moving units around.

While there are some minor technical issue with this series, CMBN and the new expansion are considered by my Dad to be well done with more and better attention to detail than some of the more hardcore wargames. I’ll take his word for it.

Whoever does marketing for Battlefront needs to get a hold of and interview this man before he passes. Do you have any idea how attractive it would be to gamers to discover a war game that an old man likes and finds realistic? It would set Combat Mission MILES apart from any other game!

[EDIT]: Whoops, I mean 93-year-old. My bad.

After reading the comments section of the 96% review of Commonwealth at Armchair General, I found this little gem:

Whoever does marketing for Battlefront needs to get a hold of and interview this man before he passes. Do you have any idea how attractive it would be to gamers to discover a war game that an old man likes and finds realistic? It would set Combat Mission MILES apart from any other game!

[EDIT]: Whoops, I mean 93-year-old. My bad.

Yeah... not bad. Mind you, I reckon in Michael Emry's eyes this guy is a veritable whippersnapper seeing as he has recollections going back to the Boer War from what I'm told.

Regards

KR

Yeah... not bad. Mind you, I reckon in Michael Emry's eyes this guy is a veritable whippersnapper seeing as he has recollections going back to the Boer War from what I'm told.

Regards

KR

Wasn't he in the Grande Armee marching back from Moscow ?

All right, all you tadpoles! Let me ask you one thing, where were you when the Persians came streaming across the Bosporus by the millions onto the sacred soil of Greece, the cradle of democracy? Huh? Where were you when the chips were down and everything was on the table? If it hadn't been for me and Leonidas and a few of our buddies, you'd all be kowtowing to some ayatollah now, by Zeus!

Michael

All joking aside: the past is not that far away. As a young boy my grandfather talked to someone who had fought at the battle of Waterloo. Granted, the person was something like 16 at the time of the battle and played no significant role, but it still means I am just one step away from hearing an eyewitness account.

That's true Cymru, my great-grandfather was 14 years old during the Boer War and used to tell us stories about going to town on an ox-wagon.

He lived to 101, so he basically lived from "Aeroplane ? What's that ?" to "Space Shuttle". He was amazing to talk to.