Possible Upcoming Announcement

I kept an open mind when CMSF was announced (but not knowing if I'd like it) and man, what a blast...got introduced to all kinds of cool new vehicles and stuff. It was fun learning about all the kit and armor and IFVs...I can't wait to have that again in a temperate setting!

I played TacOps for years and enjoyed it quite a lot, but that might have had mainly to do with how the game played. A modern setting for CM will have to prove itself to me. Until then, I will sit on the fence on this one.

Michael

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I played TacOps for years and enjoyed it quite a lot, but that might have had mainly to do with how the game played. A modern setting for CM will have to prove itself to me. Until then, I will sit on the fence on this one.

Michael

Good idea ...

picket+fence+2.jpg

Joe

They can, but they drive through the trees, not around them. And can end a turn impaled on a tree. A graphical oddity.

Gerry

You're confusing the presence of tree models with the woodland terrain types. You can, in CMBN, have woods (light or heavy) terrain with absolutely no trees whatsoever. Likewise, if you have tree models sprouting from an underlying terrain that is grass, or hard ground, they will impinge not at all on vehicle movement, since vehicles ignore them due to the aforementioned pathing issues.

The ground type determines how difficult vehicles find the terrain (amongst other things).

Well, either it's Cold War - Western Europe 1989 or Cro Magnons vs Neanderthals. Maybe Space Lobsters as a dark horse?

My bet on number one in the list as they now have some western European terrain and a bunch of modern US/Soviet/British/etc equipment...

Michael

I thought you owned CMSF...are you playing CMBN?

Mord.

I never bought cmsf or any of the add ons, even now with the reduced price.

And I was one that wanted modern combat done before they ever mentioned it, requested it multible times when we had only the WWII stuff.

My reason is simple, they missed that main draw to what makes for a very popular game. Two major forces with the best weapons available in conflict against each other. Until they get hard core soviet forces against hard core allied forces and that is a normal feature I can work with within the game, it just has no appeal to me. Plus they gave us no tools to module anything but dessert. Thus I still cannot waste my time or my money with CMSF.

Now if I could Merge CMA soviet units and CMSF allied units and Terrain from CMBN. Then for me, they have found my weak point, I will be required to buy each and every thing they produce, because that will just be another addition that I will need to fill. A game I just cannot get enough of.

And Yes, there has been hints before now that they are producing a new modern game but the only thing I recall being said was that it would be depicted in a region where Terrain features will be more like what we see in CMBN. Now if they just give us what I think they might be giving us.

I cannot take it, Where the he11 is that annoucement

@slysniper

I think you are missing out on CMSF. As was mentioned earlier in this thread, there are a lot of scenarios where you are on a more equal playing field with the Syrians, especially in the Brit and NATO modules. Then there are user made campaigns like TF Panther where you are commanding US Airborne infantry with nothing more than Humvees in support (for as far I have reached in it anyway). There are also several Red vs Red campaigns and scenarios that are maybe the best of all. Also, you can mod things to color the terrain just a bit, or make it full on European. It isn't all desert anyway.

You might want to try the updated demo, it has at least one scenario from each module so you can get a taste of how much variety there is.

@slysniper

I think you are missing out on CMSF. As was mentioned earlier in this thread, there are a lot of scenarios where you are on a more equal playing field with the Syrians, especially in the Brit and NATO modules. Then there are user made campaigns like TF Panther where you are commanding US Airborne infantry with nothing more than Humvees in support (for as far I have reached in it anyway). There are also several Red vs Red campaigns and scenarios that are maybe the best of all. Also, you can mod things to color the terrain just a bit, or make it full on European. It isn't all desert anyway.

You might want to try the updated demo, it has at least one scenario from each module so you can get a taste of how much variety there is.

I figure I could make interesting battles or find some, yes. Likely Blue on blue, which it allows Yes. Let the US. take on Nato forces or something.

But then I am lacking the other part of what pulls me to this pasttime- the History.

I like stuff that protrays history or protrays History as to what if, So not having a modern game where it is the major forces of the world squaring off in a third World War just misses it for me. I do not care if that is what the game is presented as, but I want the tools so that is the game I can make scenarios of. And not just me, I want the game focus there so that is also the efforts of the community, thus a great value as to what I get.

I have missed nothing, I have found more than plenty of things to study and play from this site. Yes, I miss not playing with the weapons which are of our era, but as I said, I figire the time hopefully will come when I get the game I really want, so I just have not wanted to invest my time or money into something that just really does not deliver.

But then I am lacking the other part of what pulls me to this pasttime- the History.

Funnily enough, that was one of the best things about CMSF for me. My creativity was never constrained by historical events. I feel like I have to tread very carefully doing anyything with WW2 because of the high grog factor you're inevitably going to encounter on a WW2 game site. ;)

I quite like the idea of doing some more work with Modern Era for CMSF2 with its temerate climate setting. And of course, it will be hypothetical as well, as in no history. But we're quite likely to find that the Russians are still a pushover when facing the US.

Funnily enough, that was one of the best things about CMSF for me. My creativity was never constrained by historical events. I feel like I have to tread very carefully doing anyything with WW2 because of the high grog factor you're inevitably going to encounter on a WW2 game site. ;)

I quite like the idea of doing some more work with Modern Era for CMSF2 with its temerate climate setting. And of course, it will be hypothetical as well, as in no history. But we're quite likely to find that the Russians are still a pushover when facing the US.

Nothing is a pushover if designed right. Lets see, during the cold war era, what would be the numbers. 10-1. It would be a little like the arab/israeli war but not in the dessert. So a better chance of getting them weaker units in flanking positions and up close and personnal. Yes it would be less restrictive. But most of us like to wonder of what if.

Also as mentioned, you can make good battles no matter what units are used. That is correct. I just have not found a interest in what CMSF offered. I found the few things I played could be challenging. But I will stay with the comments as I mentioned before as to why it lacks.

Well it certainly is anybody's guess as to what may be forthcoming. I would like to see a remake of Flight Commander, taking into account what's been learned in the last few years when it comes to some models represented in the old version. Perhaps an iPad version...who knows.

As always we'll know soon enough. Of course time is relative, so we'll know what it is when BFC wants to let us know -- on their own time :-)