What I Miss About CMx1

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I really miss the Dance of Death. Where a squad woud get caught in the open, get to the routed/ broken state, and run back and forth until exhausted and the finally wiped out.

I see the opposition remnants doing that all the time. There's a whole thread (probably several) saying they should surrender.

And I do believe there's a typo in BD's post anyway.
There isn't, but the grammar is archaic and therefore confusing. It might also be missing a comma or two.

"you're all delusional fools if you think CMx2 doth CMx1 beat."

should be read

"you're all delusional fools if you think CMx2 [doth CMx1] beat."

or

"you're all delusional fools if you think [doth CMx1] [CMx2 beat]."

Sburke,

You are way off man. No offense but there ARE things CMx1 did better. Fire, Fog, ect.

It's okay to say that it was done better in CMx1. I don't understand why people can't admit this. We can hope that CMx2 willl catch up. Why the denial?

There isn't, but the grammar is archaic and therefore confusing. It might also be missing a comma or two.

Nope. It's archaic all right. "Doth" went out with "quoth". Nevermore shall it be common usage.

"you're all delusional fools if you think CMx2 doth CMx1 beat."

should be read

"you're all...delusional fools if you think CMx2 [doth CMx1] beat."

Directly updated into modern usage, the original statement says:

"You're all delusional fools if you think CMx2 beats CMx1," which is clearly not the intent of the post, from context. Putting the "doth CMx1" in any sort of punctuation doesn't change its meaning one whit, it just makes it incorrect. No commas are needed.

"you're all delusional fools if you think [doth CMx1] [CMx2 beat]."

Even if you allow that some sort of clumsy punctuation makes this mean "CMx2 > CMx1" surely, getting the two terms the wrong way round is a larger typo than just transposing the numbers?

Will you be swearing again? I do so love your potty mouth.

Anyway, about the 60mm thing which you so love to bring up on every forum you can think of, despite being told everytime that the one guy you've spoken to probably wasn't telling you the whole story, let me lay it out for you yet again.

A fire mission is quite involved. It starts when someone identifies a threat AND decides that the threat can best be dealt with by indirect fire. That decision has to be relayed to someone who can do something about it. That someone has to get into a position where they can see the target and communicate with the fire unit (by voice, wire, radio, hand signals, flags, smoke signals, or carrier pigeons). Then the spotter has to figure out where they are, where the target is, and what effect they want on the target. Then they have to convert that into a fire order, and relay it to the fire unit. Then someone at the fire unit has to convert those fire orders into a bearing, elevation, and charge to use. Then the weapon crew have to apply that, and fire the first spotting round. Then we all wait while the round wings it's merry way to the target. Then the spotter has to observe the round, and figure out where it landed in relation to the target, and order an adjustment. Then the calculation has to occur again, the new bearing and elevation applied, and the round fired. Then the wait again, then more adjustment until the round land on or near-enough to the target, and only THEN can you go to FFE. And still you have to wait for the rounds to wing their merry way to the target.

Your old guy? My guess he worked a mortar, and his 30-seconds was from when he received the order containing the bearing elevation and charge. And hell yes, I can apply a bearing and elevation and fire a round within 30 seconds. But in terms of the overall time to conduct a mission that is a trivial component. He is (probably) correct about the bit he was concerned with, but wildly misleading about overall mission times.

It's lovely that you talk to old people. It's not so great that you think talking to one old guy with a limited perspective makes you The Guru on all things indirect.

It is actually a family member of a forum member here. He may speak up. I hope he does. It's sad that you think ALL testamonials are anecdotal. You miss the truth that way. I take what they say as pure gold. You consult your books and think you know it all.

Sburke,

You are way off man. No offense but there ARE things CMx1 did better. Fire, Fog, ect.

It's okay to say that it was done better in CMx1. I don't understand why people can't admit this. We can hope that CMx2 willl catch up. Why the denial?

Patience sir, it will come and it will be better. Just because CMx1 had something because the overall engine requirements were simpler doesn't make it better. It simply means you have to eat your meat before you can have your pudding. How can you have some pudding if you don't eatchyer meat?!

And no, I'm not gonna take offense, it is only (dare I say it) a game and everyone has their own opinion. I just accept that CMx2 is a work in progress as opposed to lamenting they haven't yet included everything the game will eventually have because some other lesser game had those features. I'm just glad they released it now instead of waiting till they had every last item in it as I'd probably be drinking dinner through a straw while folks stood around trying to decide if it was right to pull me off life support yet.

Typical from a guy who never got his hands dirty. Read yer books JonS. You know it all.

Anecdotal has a negative conotation that suggests it isn't true. That they are filling in the blanks with their own made up memories. That is not alawys true.

Typical from a guy who never got his hands dirty.

rofl

Anecdotal has a negative connotation that suggests it isn't true. That they are filling in the blanks with their own made up memories. That is not always true.

Who said that? I was quite clear that his memory might - even after over 60 years - be completely accurate. And yet still be completely wrong.

There are good reasons why some historians deliberately exclude veteran accounts.

Proof that you can be up and firing a mortar in under a minute ;)

Congratulations.

hell yes, I can apply a bearing and elevation and fire a round within 30 seconds.

If you don't care where the rounds land, any fool can get them in the air in about 10 seconds.

Yeah, it's hilarious. I always wet myself laughing when somone rick-rolls me into watching someone kill them self :rolleyes: And like I said, any clown can get rounds in the air quickly if you don't care where they land.

But do you really want to play Hilarious Videos Of People Dying?

JonS, I see you have managed to win people over with your charm once more:eek:

As for some wanting to mention for at least the 100th time some of the features they miss, why get them mad. They can comment as much as you feel you must comment on each and every thing,.

But here is the sad part, now I need to somewhat get on the same side of this issue with you.

Do any of you think BF would not have put in most of these features if they could have. They thought these things were worth having before, so do you really think they just did not want them now.

I for sure do not know what was the reasons for what made it in the game and what did not. I have no issues if someone wants to request them back, so let it be. But I also would like people to get over it, likely many of these things are not coming back in this version of the game. Only BF could ever answer that, which they do not do. So make your post, wish and move on.

Unless you have the skill to develope your own computer game, if not. Back to ASL for you, there you can make whatever rules you like.

Ps. I would like many of these things back also, but I just know it is not worth the effort to go there, as you have seen. Plus, really most of us really do not understand the challenges of doing a game like this in computer format. These guys need praise, not the same old comments about what we dont have at the moment.

I for sure do not know what was the reasons for what made it in the game and what did not.

Development cycle and feature creep, that's why. In order to ship product within the 21st century, they had to make a list of the things to keep from CMv1 and what to leave out.

Me? I miss fire, AAA and the on-map plane silhouettes. There was a certain "Oh crap, here it comes" moment when a plane's shadow swept across the map, no matter whose side the plane was allegedly on...

Even though there's things I miss, I'll never trade down to v1. v2 is so much better in most every way.

Yeah, it's hilarious. I always wet myself laughing when somone rick-rolls me into watching someone kill them self :rolleyes: And like I said, any clown can get rounds in the air quickly if you don't care where they land.

But do you really want to play Hilarious Videos Of People Dying?

Yeah that's really funny coming from a wiseass who plays wargames for entertainment or is your version of CMBN the Special Paintball Edition.Jesus for such a wiseass you really are dumb ;)

SlySniper,

In my original post I did say that CMx2 is better then CMx1. It is my first sentence.

I just wanted to get it off my chest what I miss about CMx1. I wanted all the points listed in one spot. My mind was racing and I couldn't sleep so I banged it out. It might be the 100th such list but there is no real harm in making them. Who knows? Maybe it will inspire the Devs to put one or two things back in before they originally planned to?

It was going well until a certain someone posted. Oh well. My sandcastle has been kicked.