CMSF Mojo Returned - Op TELIC Campaign/Missions

Indeed the maps are looking fantastic. and youre chunring them out jaja good job

Thanks - to be honest I had a couple in the can before I went public with the announcement that I was doing a campaign but basically I've set myself the target of a map a day and today I start the final map. So far I've shown you 7 maps of which 6 will make the final cut. I have another 5 to post.

I have to say that while I do get satisfaction from putting the maps together and making them look right, I do find it very hard work and soul destroying at times and so I am pleased that I've got this far without losing motivation.

That said some of the ones that I've done still need some touching up in terms of sorting out the building details and flavour object placement but by the end of today I will be able to move on and do what is the fun stuff for me - putting the units out and creating and testing the AI plans.

Chainsaw ... hopefully you won't have to wait for too long. I'm now on the last map - I must admit I'm struggling with it but it is all in hand.

Mission-wise I've now got Mission 1 pretty much to behave how I want it to so will finish that off tomorrow before starting on Mission 2. Bizarrely (but that's the way I work) Mission 6 is about where I want it to be as well. This will all be concurrent with chipping away at that last map.

Ok Mission 1 is in the can - minus briefings because I plan to do those right at the end just in case I have to make some changes to the missions to make the campaign as a whole work.

Mission 1 is C Coy 40 Commando's heliborne insertion and assault on the Al Faw Monitoring and Metering Station (MMS) which took place on the night of 20/21 Mar 03. C Coy assaulted after RVing with 3 Cdo Bde's Brigade Reconnaissance Force (BRF) so while this is essentially a dismounted assault you do get to play with the BRF's WMIKs.

Battle length is an hour and a half - longer than I would like but it is a dismounted assault and as you've seen from the map, there is a lot of ground to cover!

Ok Gents - I've been working on Mission 2. This is B Coy 40 Commando's heliborne insertion and assault on the Al Faw Pipeline Complexes (PPLM and PPLK) which took place on the night of 20/21 Mar 03. This is a purely dismounted battle and like the first involves lots of walking and again is longer than I would like (90 minutes again).

I still haven't got this one right yet as I need to get a decent balance between manageable enemy force levels and keeping the player busy. Right now there are slightly too many 'down' periods. I may also have to work on the victory points allocation as I have just tested it and Blue suffered a tactical defeat when it should have gained a victory of some description although I think I can get round this by ensuring that the brief has all the right information in it.

However it is there or thereabouts and after a quick tinker and playtest it should be ready to go.

Time for another photo bone ...

This will be Mission 8 and is a place called Al Seeba located at:

30 19 20 32N 48 15 13 88E

Map dimensions are 944m x 752m

Actual Google Earth overhead:

AlSeebaActual.jpg

CMSF overhead screenshot:

AlSeebaCMSFScreenshot.jpg

CMSF oblique taken looking down the road from the bottom right hand corner of the area above:

AlSeebaOblique.jpg

Enjoy ...

Sorry I've been a bit quiet of late - had a pretty full social diary and have been back at work.

More pictures for a mission that will simply be called 'Armour Action' which in reality took place on 24 Mar 03. This is mentioned in the book that I've been using as my primary source of research but was also featured in a documentary that I'd seen and saved onto the digibox. Unfortunately my wife managed to delete that in favour of a Harry Potter film or some other such nonsense before I got around to looking at this mission in earnest but I remember enough to give the mission the correct feel!!!

The area of ground chosen best matches that described in the research but I can't be sure that it is the actual place that the action took place and is on the outskirts of Abu Al Khasib. Geo Coords are:

30 26 32 04N 48 01 37 17E

I had to rotate the ground slightly to facilitate mapmaking.

The real and CMSF map area is 992m x 704m.

This is the place for real on Google Earth:

ArmourActionActual.jpg

This is the CMSF overhead screenshot of same:

ArmourActionCMSFScreenshot.jpg

This is an oblique taken from the N-S running road (as it will be in CMSF) red will setup on the left and blue will setup on the right.

ArmourActionOblique.jpg

Enjoy!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Ok you've probably noticed things have gone a bit quiet on this thread. The reason for this is I am now in the place that CMA is set in and will be here for a while now. I'm sure I will have some time to work on this project while I'm here but it will be a fairly long and slow process. Rest assured I will finish this campaign and I will update you guys as I get things done.

Ok you've probably noticed things have gone a bit quiet on this thread. The reason for this is I am now in the place that CMA is set in and will be here for a while now. I'm sure I will have some time to work on this project while I'm here but it will be a fairly long and slow process. Rest assured I will finish this campaign and I will update you guys as I get things done.

keep your head down!

• 3 weeks later...

Hello again everyone - not good news for you I'm afraid.

This Afghan campaign I'm in is RT playing at the highest difficulty setting and I haven't been able to find an 'esc' key to hit!!!!

Frivolity aside I am very time poor and likely to be for the forseeable future. On top of that I missed a suicide bomber which went off at the same time and place that I was patrolling in 22 hours earlier this week which killed 2 of our US colleagues last Sunday.

In the short term therefore I suspect nothing will get done on this project. I reiterate that I will finish it and I have other campaigns planned for CMSF to keep the modern flame burning.

Rest assured I am doing my best to keep my head down (especially after last Sunday) and as before I will update you if anything changes.

Regards