LOS issue for FO's

I have an FO in a church tower with what seems like xnt views of several inf and vehicular units.

However, not only can he not fire (should he wish to) at any of the units as there is no LOS for targeting, but he cannot even call down arty on their positions, or anyplace close to their positions.

I understand the issue with squads and teams that one guy can see the target but the gun itself cannot. But, surely an FO who spots a target should be able to call down arty on that spot, or close to it (or at least fire at the target since all team members have weapons).

1) Never figured out how to take screenshots and post with this newfangled technology. :(

2) No, they are not hiding. Can bring down arty on lots of other positions with no problem.

You can test this out for yourself in the 2nd KG Engel mission where you can set-up at the top of a church tower with great LOS.

It's the FO that has clear LOS but for some reason cannot TARGET directly OR arty on (or even near) some units it can clearly see and identify. Nothing to do with placement of the mortars themselves.

The FO has been functioning fine targeting other units in other locations with the mortars.

Haven't tried facing. I always give em a short arc covering the area I want them to observe. (Definitely do not want an FO trying a few pot shots for fun.)

But, the point still is if the FO can SEE units, why can't he target arty on them or anyplace around them?

Like I said, power up mission 2 of KG Engel and with the FO at the top of the church tower see if you experience anything different. There will be targets he can see and TARGET or call down arty on, and there will be units he can see, but cannot TARGET or call arty down on or anyplace near.

The FO shouldn't have to move or point in another direction if he can already see the units.

I'm thinking maybe the other guys in the unit (radioman, etc) can see those points, but the spotter himself cannot and therefore you can't call in artillery on those points. Kind of a backfiring of the super detailed individual spotting. Something that could certainly use a bit of tweaking, if it is the case.

Why everytime I hit quote the site takes me back to the log in page?

Anyway I'm playing this map. I haven't noticed this part of your post. "there will be units he can see, but cannot TARGET or call arty down on or anyplace near"

I have been able to so far hit everything I have wanted too. When I get back to the game I will check that out and repost.

Love the nebelwerfer rockets, I don't think they sound right though. Is this something that could be modded?

Hi Erwin

Loaded up that scenario and had a look.

Where do you have the mortars setup?

I put one behind the church and the other a little further back behind the wall.

I was able to get spots on the map which had no Line of Fire for both of them setup in this way. This means that the church steeple was blocking the line the shells would have to travel to get to the spot aimed at.

This was during setup, when normally you can target anywhere on the map for the pre plan. So the game takes into account whether the shell can reach the spot aimed at or not and tells you at the aim point of the cursor.

One would have to setup the mortars in a different spot to be able to target the whole map with the FO.

The only place I got a no Line of Sight was over the TRP. Strange.

I'm not sure what you mean they couldn't use their rifles. I ran it forward a minute and there were a couple of spotted units, which the FO could shoot his rifles at with the target command and of course area target worked where ever they had LOS. :)

Ok, so you're saying the mortars can fire over the roof of the church ok, but if the direct line of fire is across the higher steeple, that would block fire.

Ok, I tested targeting with offboard arty and I could do it.

Am impressed that the engine makes that distinction. Thanks for the explanation...

Ok, so you're saying the mortars can fire over the roof of the church ok, but if the direct line of fire is across the higher steeple, that would block fire. ...

Actually you can set a mortar next to a house, or even a bridge and this will cause some blind spots for the Line of Fire some place on the map. One poster even mentioned under a tree, this I don't know about, since I've never tried it.

So one has to take this into consideration when setting up on board mortars. Give them plenty of elbow room if you want them to be able to reach out a long way, or at least as far as the FO can spot. :)

I was fully aware that you can't place mortars too close to buildings as they may not fire over them.

Am just impressed that even tho' they could fire over the church, they couldn't fire over the steeple. (I had assumed that a building is a building and height differences wouldn't be an issue.) Will try and move the mortars laterally a few meters and that should give abillity to fire at the previously untouchable enemy.

(Still having a hard time figuring out the C2 issues tho'.)

I couldn't seem to come up with this problem. One thing though when i started this map I left the mortars in their default positions. I did not move them. I tried using the spotters target tool and the arty tool to find bad spots but couldn't find any. I didn't look too hard as switching between these tools is a pain. I found that i could aim and fire over the steeple as long as the spotter had a LOS.

I moved my mortars into the graveyard directly behind the church as I had C2 problems since the HQ's didn't have radios so I wanted visual/voice. (I had moved the halftrack with the radio next to them for C2, but wanted to move the halftrack and ATG elsewhere.)

The FO in the steeple could see all sort of things, but the mortars could only fire at some of them cos they could fire over the church, but were too close to the steeple. Moving them laterally solved the problem.