German Assault Engineers' Uniforms And Gear

Hello, I can't find a thread about this topic in the forum so I'm starting it. :)

In my opinion there is something wrong with the German assault engineers.

They are wearing the "tank crew uniform grey" and they don't have any equipment...

But especially combat engineers should have even extra equipment beside the normal gear

like big shovles, wire cutters, mine detectors, satchel charges etc.

Maybe with the next module this can be fixed...?

My understanding is that Panzerpioneer and Panzerauflklarung troops wore (or were authorized to wear) panzer wraps. I would guess that as they are dedicated mounted troops, their additional equipment is assumed to be in their HTs.

There may still be some uniforms showing up in the wrong place (as was the case with 1 or 2 troops in other squads wearing the panzer wrap while everyone else was in standard infantry garb), but the halftrack-mounted panzerpioneer and panzerauflkarung units that wear the panzer wrap are not a bug.

My understanding is that Panzerpioneer and Panzerauflklarung troops wore (or were authorized to wear) panzer wraps. I would guess that as they are dedicated mounted troops, their additional equipment is assumed to be in their HTs.

There may still be some uniforms showing up in the wrong place (as was the case with 1 or 2 troops in other squads wearing the panzer wrap while everyone else was in standard infantry garb), but the halftrack-mounted panzerpioneer and panzerauflkarung units that wear the panzer wrap are not a bug.

Is that the case with both the Waffen SS and German Army units? That's what I was pointing out recently in another thread.

OK, I see - thank you for your explanation.

But maybe in the 4th module "additional '44 stuff" a platoon of fully equipped pioneers will be available, with flamethrowers etc.

In between I have replaced the "skeleton" .mds-files of the assault gun crews by the "m43-ankle-boots-soldier".

Now the pioneers have a little bit of equipment (just their normal gear). :)

Unfortunately there are no skeleton-files available from the base game.

I must ask for it in the modding section.

So its not a bug but a feature you say?

I'm not aware how it was in reality, but from the change log thread:

Would it be too late to mention a bug where two men of every german pioneer squad carry no field equipment and are dressed as assault gun crewmen?

Too late because it has already been fixed.

So the fix is give ALL pioneers assault gun uniforms and no gear?

At the very least they should hav ammo pouches, though.

These are Panzer-Lehr-Division guys btw.

9396539620d9e57dmed.jpg

I am not sure how I did it with the mods, but I found all my engineers had a special mottled uniform, while my regular Wehrmacht guys had a mixture of SS and regular.

So, it is possible to give the engineers specific uniforms, but I'd have to do a lot of checking to figure out why and how. It's possible that in the numbering of uniform alternatives, a certain number(s) applies to the engineers.

Erwin, it involves changing the bmp named "german crew grey" (and also "german crew black", I believe) to whatever regular uniform bmp's name you want them to look like. I'm not at home, so going from memory, here. But as Shorker pointed out, still not much kit on them. That would be the mdr file. Further experimentation is necessary, methinks.

I am all for keeping each unit type separated so that mods can be done. There are a few instances where this isn't the case, and it's a bit frustrating.

Yes, absolutely - that's the point! :)

As I learned here - thanks a lot to akd and Rokko for clearance - the German pioneers in CMBN are panzer pioneers

associated with the panzer troops and therefore their uniform is correct - but the ammo pouches are still missing which is annoying.

When I was reading "pioneers" I was thinking of these heavily equipped assault engineers (or storm pioneers) - so I was just expecting too much.

But anyway, I want my men to wear their gear when in battle. You'll never know - maybe suddenly someone opens fire on them and their halftruck

is blown off ... and then...? ;)

the German pioneers in CMBN are panzer pioneers

associated with the panzer troops

The panzer pioneers in CMBN are panzer pioneers. The majority of German pioneer units in CMBN wear standard infantry garb and gear. The Pioneer Battalion under "Infantry" has no association with panzer troops at all. It is a pioneer battalion in the standard infantry division.

Yes, absolutely - that's the point! :)

As I learned here - thanks a lot to akd and Rokko for clearance - the German pioneers in CMBN are panzer pioneers

associated with the panzer troops and therefore their uniform is correct - but the ammo pouches are still missing which is annoying.

When I was reading "pioneers" I was thinking of these heavily equipped assault engineers (or storm pioneers) - so I was just expecting too much.

But anyway, I want my men to wear their gear when in battle. You'll never know - maybe suddenly someone opens fire on them and their halftruck

is blown off ... and then...? ;)

Ahh that makes sense, I know the Russian front had specific Sturm Battalion's. They were Infantry units, not Panzer Pioneer's. So yeah, I totaly get what your saying here now.

The panzer pioneers in CMBN are panzer pioneers. The majority of German pioneer units in CMBN wear standard infantry garb and gear. The Pioneer Battalion under "Infantry" has no association with panzer troops at all. It is a pioneer battalion in the standard infantry division.

Now it makes sense. Thanks!

(Still, though, it looks strange seeing so many of the panzer pioneers with officer insignia on their uniforms).