Good grief this is hard

Haven't read all the suggestions here but I'm sure they are all great ... I thought I would add a few of my own observations.

Watch your C2 (Command & Control) status on your units. When you first make contact and start to developed the situation, split your squads into teams and keep them dispersed so that one mortar round doesn't wipe out the whole lot. When you split squads remember to watch your C2!

Always have plenty of fire support before you move this means tanks, MG's and on board mortars. If you don't know exactly where the enemy is located then area fire at suspected locations.

When you pinpoint a known location then bring as much fire to bear as possible and try to flank the position instead of charging head on.

i am particularly fond of putting y squads on Assault orders instead of splitting them up. The squad advances using fire and manouvre but the point about the artillery threat is well taken,

i am particularly fond of putting y squads on Assault orders instead of splitting them up. The squad advances using fire and manouvre but the point about the artillery threat is well taken,

Assault works well in certain situations and I have used it on occasion but when you first make contact and your not ready to assault yet, splitting your squads and forcing them to disperse seems to help to keep down the casualties.

Also by directing your assault yourself you can take advantage of little techniques like this:

When assaulting a building move your assault element using <quick> to the door of the building and have them stop or pause (10-15 secs) at the door. During this pause period they will in some cases attempt to throw grenades into the building before entering.

Keep in mind that many times your fire and maneuver is conducted at the PLT level where you have one squad laying down a base of fire and another squad conducting the assault.

In most situations my SOP is to break 2/3 of the squads so each has a scout team and send the scouts out like ants to find important enemy positions.

Although it sound like a good idea to keep the rest of the squads close enough behind for backup and C2, I now believe this to be a tactical error. So many times the enemy may spot your scouts and as you bring up the rest of the platoon, they walk into an arty barrage.

So, I now believe that in the GAME, it is better to let the 2 man scout units wander off way ahead of your main force - maybe keep em in pairs, so if one scout team suddenly dies, the other team may be a witness.

I rarely worry about C2. The effects are so subtle (as with "snipers" etc) that I do not perceive any discernible advantage most of the time. I do make an effort to keep my main assault force in C2 as they need every advantage they can have - but it is very possible to handle leaderless platoons quite well.

WHEN I HEAR THE WORD SLOW, IT DRIVES ME CRAZY.

Yes, to most of what has been said before, but it does not need to be slow.

I agree with that especially when playing a human. Inertia, initiative and the occasional gamey flag rush are as important to winning as they were in reality.

I think whatever speed you travel, keeping a strong overwatch to get immediate fire superiority is the key. You can also try to get the fire superiority initiative by speculatively shooting HE at every bush, barn and house that could possibly hold a few Germans.

And what JonS said, keep a fresh reserve for when your initial advance goes badly (or well).

I agree with that especially when playing a human. Inertia, initiative and the occasional gamey flag rush are as important to winning as they were in reality.

I think whatever speed you travel, keeping a strong overwatch to get immediate fire superiority is the key. You can also try to get the fire superiority initiative by speculatively shooting HE at every bush, barn and house that could possibly hold a few Germans.

And what JonS said, keep a fresh reserve for when your initial advance goes badly (or well).

No such thing as ROE in Normandy!!!

WHEN I HEAR THE WORD SLOW, IT DRIVES ME CRAZY.

Yes, to most of what has been said before, but it does not need to be slow.

You move a 2-3 man scouting team out on quick unless you expect contact, then it is on hunt, if you want to spend the time. then with the rest of the units you have them in overwatch, once the scouts verifies the next objective is clear. As quick as possible move your units up to take that point.

It cracks me up how slow some are playing, not only does it give me time to understand what forces I am up against and where they are headed. But I have plenty of time to move up reserves set ambush points, harass the enemy, then pull back the front line troops to the new reinforced defensive line and then lay some heavy fire power on the fools that are afraid to push their attacks. Speed is still very important, one needs to learn how to do it safely or at least at a risk they can afford and still win.

Don't try that with troops whose fitness level is questionable. They wear down fast and recover slow. You'll need to plan a lot further ahead and only move them when you are sure where you want to commit them. On defence it is sometimes wiser even to give up ground and let them come to you rather than tire your men out to move into a position you likely won't hold anyway.

The first thing you should do prior to even drawing up a battle plan is examine your force. Unless you always play at higher levels of fitness you need to pay attention to how much you can ask of your troops first. Also check for experience level particularly of your FOs. You may find you have a force that is going to be sluggish to respond and not have much staying power. Beware of how you apply your tactics and make sure your force is capable.

Assault works well in certain situations and I have used it on occasion but when you first make contact and your not ready to assault yet, splitting your squads and forcing them to disperse seems to help to keep down the casualties.

Also by directing your assault yourself you can take advantage of little techniques like this:

When assaulting a building move your assault element using <quick> to the door of the building and have them stop or pause (10-15 secs) at the door. During this pause period they will in some cases attempt to throw grenades into the building before entering.

Keep in mind that many times your fire and maneuver is conducted at the PLT level where you have one squad laying down a base of fire and another squad conducting the assault.

If you have several companies (eg a battalion) you can use fire and manouvre tactics at this level. Lead with one oe two infantry companies to find and fix enemy positions. Have between one and three infantry companies plus armour as your reserve/manouver force. When your lead companies engage an enemy they cannot defeat on their own your reserve force attempts to flank the enemy posdition either to bypass it or to attack. It is exactly thesame principle at company level.