The v1.10 patch for the base game, CM:BN, will be made available for free in a week or two from now (tops). It will give you the same engine improvements and bug fixes (but obviously not Commonwealth, SS or LW units to play with, and none of the new scenarios and maps).

The patch (which includes fixes but no new units or scenarios) is free, no module purchase necessary, and will be available sometime in the next couple weeks.

Thanks guys. And thanks for making the *up to* 36 hour wait for the download only crowd more like 6 hours!!! :) Downloading right now and can't wait to play.

+1 to that - I feel like I am part of the club again:D

Now go get yourselves a hot meal and a few hour's rest!!!

Good idea - the real flood of tickets, posts and PMs start in a few hours.

Well initial test shows that Tigers go as fast in reverse as they do in fast forward. For a "realistic" game this sucks mightily. Surely everybody knows that WW2 tanks were very slow in reverse and should be modelled as such. Surely as far as coding goes it should be trivial in the extreme.

You are using reverse on a Tiger? Don't you know that retreat is forbidden?

C'mn Diesel, ya gotta have soemthing positive to say at some point or we will suspect you are simply playing to punish yourself for some preceived sin.. or maybe you feel guilty about playing it. Really it is okay to like it even with it's flaws.

Just ribbing you man, don't take me seriously. ;-)

Well initial test shows that Tigers go as fast in reverse as they do in fast forward. For a "realistic" game this sucks mightily. Surely everybody knows that WW2 tanks were very slow in reverse and should be modelled as such. Surely as far as coding goes it should be trivial in the extreme.

I just ran 2 tests. First test is 2 Tiger Is (late) on dirt from a standing start, one going backwards with a Reverse order and the other forwards with a Fast order. 2nd test is the same except on pavement.

Distance traveled in 60 seconds

Test 1 (dirt)

* 205m in reverse. 12.3 kph/7.6 mph

* 425m forward (Fast). 25.5 kph/15.8 mph

Test 2 (pavement)

* 205m in reverse. 12.3 kph/7.6 mph

* 540m forward (Fast). 32.4 kph/20 mph

I have seen various top speeds listed for the Tiger I, from 35 kph to 45 kph. If I had timed it from a running start it would probably have been in that range.

I only have one source for a reverse speed, which is 9.2 kph/5.7 mph. So the Tiger in the game does seem to go faster in reverse than it should (and road surface does not seem to affect reverse speed for some reason), but not by a very large degree, and it certainly doesn't go anywhere near as fast as it does forward. I have no idea how you got your result and I frankly wonder if you really did the test.

It was a quick test and I realised that over 100 metres it was not going to be final. Now I have some time I think it looks like speed has been tweaked. Possibly in a generic fashion judging by the above post.

I did have some test fields given to me last year with 7 Shermans Vs. & MkIV's that wer immobilised so I thought I would play with that. Having taken car of the gunnery side I had two Shermans with 500 metres of grass. They covered 400metres in a minute which equates to 15mph. On reversing they were travelling at just gver 200metres a minute so that would be 7.5mph.

Now the interesting thing is that whereas going forwards reduces speed travelling cross-country on grass reverse does not have any penalty. It is above the Sherman reverse speed I believe anyway ... when I can find it. Ah here it is "This seems to be significantly in excess of the 3mph I have seen in a photo of a Sherman engine plate for reverse speed." Of course there are Shermans and Shermans .....

The other thing is that tanks in both tests seem to be getting to maximum reverse speed within a minute - which given the Tiger has 4 gear changes to do and yet still hits over speed........

One of the interesting plays was to have a MkIV turret right with a cover arc off map leaving only the driver facing forward. He spotted the Sherman when it was advancing fast over cratered ground [about 200 metres per minute] and observed it for the several minutes it took to get 800 metres distant so roughly 6 minutes from 1700 metres. At no time did the MkIV change from its arc setting even when it was being pot-shotted at. The movement order ended and with 5 seconds and at 714 metres the Sherman nailed it thogh th hull killing the driver and the crew bailed.

Is a covered arc overriding the AI?

All bar one of the IV's lost and this was at a range of 1700 metres+. The Shermans seemed to get more hits despite the supposed inaccuracy of the Sherman 75mm gun system at range . The Sherman that died did not spot the MkIV firing at it anytime during the 3 minutes it was fired upon - it did get a icon as it was hit on the upper front hull. It then moved and was hit rear right hull and knocked out.

Units will usually disregard their covered arc if they are taking fire, but there is some randomness to it, and it also depends a lot on their motivation level. Units with higher motivation are more likely to slavishly obey orders, and in fact Fanatical units will never override a covered arc.