Trees?

Pud

Has anyone worked out how to mod trees yet. I was thinking they are a bit wishy washy in colour for my taste, but for the life of me I unable to locate the correct bmps.

Poke me in the eye and call me blind but I exploded the brz files found everything else, even the bmp for trees at a distance but nothing else. Am I right in assuming their are located in the mdr file (within the folliage directories) if so are they then moddable at all?

I see the transparency is handled totally differently from the old CMx1 which I was used to.

Yes I just bought the game on weekend and started digging around :)

Looks like a learning curve is ahead of me.

That's weird, I tried that by placing a big black dot on all tree bmps in the foliage directory and moved them to Z, then loaded up game this is what happens. At a distance they all had black dots but as I moved the view closer, a more "high res" tree replaces them.

See the trees in the back with the black dots.

before.gif

Once I move closer a higher res version is apparently used, note no dot now, so the close ones must be located someplace else.

after.gif

Or am I missing something?

• 9 months later...

Love the looks of the foliage and trees while I am playing but hate the fact that in a dense map I loose sight of my units. I need to flip the trees on and off as I play. Usually I just outright turn them off with just the trunks showing.

My question...

Is it possible to make the foliage on the trees more transparent? That way one could leave the leaves on and still see his units. If so, has it been done. I searched the forums and did not see anything.

Love the looks of the foliage and trees while I am playing but hate the fact that in a dense map I loose sight of my units. I need to flip the trees on and off as I play. Usually I just outright turn them off with just the trunks showing.

My question...

Is it possible to make the foliage on the trees more transparent? That way one could leave the leaves on and still see his units. If so, has it been done. I searched the forums and did not see anything.

much like houses

• 1 month later...

I tried that mod and did not think it really helped much. Playing with trees on it was still too obstructive to viewing my units. I was looking for something that kept the full size and weight of the tree but just made it about 50% more see-through. Wish I had some modding skills because I would attempt this.

I tried that mod and did not think it really helped much. Playing with trees on it was still too obstructive to viewing my units. I was looking for something that kept the full size and weight of the tree but just made it about 50% more see-through. Wish I had some modding skills because I would attempt this.

Well you know the old saying be careful what u wish for, so if you use stock (default) trees I can make u a quick Mod with 50% opacity in the tree leafs so you can see what it does.

Up to you

ez

Just uploaded it to cmmods and the repository. Link to cmmods: http://cmmods.greenasjade.net/mods/4708/details

It's pretty easy to do. If you open up one of the leaves bmps, there's a channel included called an alpha channel (you can find it under the channels tab in Photoshop). This controls the opacity of a texture or parts of a texture. Black is transparent and white is opaque. Shades of gray control different levels of opacity. I just selected all the white areas of the alpha channel and painted them 90% black. This makes the game display the leaves as translucent. PM if you want a step-by-step on how to do it.

I tried to modify the hedge, but no dice. I added red/orange berries to the bmp, but it doesn't change it in game. My goal was to make the hedge more distinguishable from low boccage.

I too am having trouble modding bocage and hedge foliage sections; a modded segment either becomes totally invisible or is ignored altogether in favour of the default bmp. Anyone have any better luck with this?

• 10 years later...
On 7/6/2012 at 5:28 AM, Rambler said:

It's pretty easy to do. If you open up one of the leaves bmps, there's a channel included called an alpha channel (you can find it under the channels tab in Photoshop). This controls the opacity of a texture or parts of a texture. Black is transparent and white is opaque. Shades of gray control different levels of opacity. I just selected all the white areas of the alpha channel and painted them 90% black. This makes the game display the leaves as translucent. PM if you want a step-by-step on how to do it.

Hi,

Does anybody has the step-by-step by Rambler on how to do translucent trees please?

I know it's a shot in the dark, but one never knows...