Advancing in open ground...

All good comments, can't thank everyone enough.

If your patience will allow- the following quote is interesting and I have a short question regarding it...

The missing ingredient -- at least for me -- was having the squad(s) "shoot from the hip" as they advance.

Bob

How do I go about having my squads 'shoot from the hip' when advancing? I assume the 'assault' button? But I thought that was, one team from a squad moves (seems like they are on 'fast') to said waypoint while the remainder of the squad remains stationary to provide overwatch/ suppressing fire. And then the further most team stops at said waypoint provides cover and the remainder of the squad towards the rear 'bound' forward, etc. and it carries on?

When I've ordered 'quick' to X point, I've never seen the men 'shoot from the hip'...? I have seen one or two stop and take some pot-shots at the enemy. I've just never really seen an action where a squad is 'quicking' to a waypoint and silmutaneously firing on-the-run. Maybe I'm not paying enough attention?

On smoke, don't drop it where you're crossing but where the enemy is. OR behind the front line of the enemy to isolate them.

Otherwise when your men come out the other side they meet unsuppressed defenders while they're isolated from their own support. Not pretty.

And give a thought to which way the wind, if any, is blowing. I try to drop the smoke just a little upwind of the enemy positions and let it drift down on them just as it is reaching full bloom.

Oh, and BTW, the smoke fired by the American armor is WP, so firing it directly on the German positions might also have a useful demoralizing effect. I don't know for certain as I haven't tried that.

Michael

Regarding the dropping of WP smoke directly on the enemy...

I've not tried that specifically, but when firing my own misdirected (poor los to target) 75mm smoke barrage, the rounds started falling right on my forming up units and then proceeded to walk all over my scattering troops. The casualties were horrendous. One squad reduced to a single man and several others decimated. Approx 30 men lost in all.

Needless to say, I'm now much more carefull about getting a good line of sight to the target area and the company commander who directed this massacre has now been sent to guard my lorry park and think about what he's done.

Thanks Agua... I should have thought of that lol.

IME, troops on Quick don't fire enough while moving to have an appreciable effect on the enemy you're hoping to suppress. Giving Pauses at waypoints for 10s or so will give them chance to cause some suppression.