Artillery Support

Hunter

You may have already figured out how Artillery Support works, but I figured I would write a brief explanation, just so people understand how it will work.

First, any Maneuvre Element (unit on the operational map) that has guns in it (Field Guns, 81mm or bigger mortars, etc) can provide Artillery Support.

You hit A for Artillery Support and a blue box is drawn around the unit on the map, showing the furthest extent of the guns in the unit. A line is drawn to the cursor, and you can provide support for any unit within the blue box. The line is green if all of your guns are within range, orange if only some of them are, and red if outside the range of any guns.

artillerysupport2ll.jpg

That battery / battalion is then in support of that unit, and will lend its firepower to it in battles. When a battle occurs for the supported ME, a number of Forward Observers are included in its force, representing the guns and their training, ammo levels, etc

Mixed units such as Infantry Battalion with a few field guns can provide support to other units, although it would be unusual to, since there are probably better things for the force as a whole to do. The AI will rarely use a mixed force like that to provide support.

Any questions?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess my question also is in line with c3K, and my question is this, Will Aircraft be able to play a factor in CMC?

ie.. can you bombard a possible enemy defensive area with a bomb run with possibly Pe-2's and He-111's? sort of like pounding them with artilery but in this case if the enemy has flak units then I guess there would be some calculation as to aircraft being lost and such.

Also after such artilery fire or Air bombardment would there be physical damage to the terrain and surrounding areas? ie buildings on fire, craters and ruble, destroyed vehicles and troops damaged?

What about flat trajectory guns?

I mean, the reach of an 88mm, for instance, is well beyond 1,500 m.

Can anti-tank fire be directed from one 2x2 km tile to another?

I am just wondering, when an allied armour column travels across an empty* tile and a battery of 88mm's, set-up 500 meters further -but is sitting in the next tile- will they be watching, unable to intervene? ...and if not, can tanks return fire in order to neutralise the battery in the other tile?

And how is this simulated during the CMBB engagement?

(*) i.e. free of long range AT assets.

Originally posted by Salkin:

Awesome...nice to see some new pics. I asked Moon in the other thread but I'll ask you too Hunter:

Will any smaller campaigns ship with the game (battalion sized or maybe even company sized)?

Yes, definitely Battalion size anyway. Company ones will be easy to make, and it will be interesting to see how they play out. Any decent CMC map will be a LARGE area for a company to defend / attack.

Originally posted by 76mm:

Bruce,

Any provision for artillery fire outside the scope of a CMBB battle (representing interdiction fire, etc.)?

And can longer-range units support more than one ME?

No, at this stage we don't do pre-battle bombardments etc. Maybe in a later version.

Longer range units (all units) can only support 1 ME at a time (not for example, one ME with long range guns and another for short range guns)

Originally posted by c3k:

Hunter,

How will different capabilities be represented between German and Soviet artillery parks? Beyond the mere shell weight and range; organizational flexibility, mobility, mapping, ranging, counterbattery, etc.?

Thanks,

Ken

Organisational flexibility will be represented only by the signals capability and officer efficiency ratings (which affect how quickly they get and respond to orders).

Mobility will be impacted by the kind of transport you provide. Obviously SPA will be the most flexible kind of artillery support, whereas large guns drawn by horses will take some work to position.

Also, large guns require telephone infrastructure to work with their FOs. So they will not only need to deploy the battery but also to dig in to Entrenchment Level 1, thus establishing comms lines. Otherwise they are considered unready to fire.

There is no counterbattery fire at the moment, sorry tongue.gif

Hunter

Originally posted by Jurgen12/26HJ:

I guess my question also is in line with c3K, and my question is this, Will Aircraft be able to play a factor in CMC?

ie.. can you bombard a possible enemy defensive area with a bomb run with possibly Pe-2's and He-111's? sort of like pounding them with artilery but in this case if the enemy has flak units then I guess there would be some calculation as to aircraft being lost and such.

Also after such artilery fire or Air bombardment would there be physical damage to the terrain and surrounding areas? ie buildings on fire, craters and ruble, destroyed vehicles and troops damaged?

Planes will be in battles, so if you have air superiority and a bunch of air assets, you should see planes at the start of your battles (especially large battles).

Physical damage happens, yes.

Originally posted by McAuliffe:

What about flat trajectory guns?

I mean, the reach of an 88mm, for instance, is well beyond 1,500 m.

Can anti-tank fire be directed from one 2x2 km tile to another?

I am just wondering, when an allied armour column travels across an empty* tile and a battery of 88mm's, set-up 500 meters further -but is sitting in the next tile- will they be watching, unable to intervene? ...and if not, can tanks return fire in order to neutralise the battery in the other tile?

And how is this simulated during the CMBB engagement?

(*) i.e. free of long range AT assets.

I understand this would be good. No, you can't do it.

A particular campaign I am developing for CMC saw 88s engaging at about 6k range (from memory) and taking out T-34s. CMC doesn't allow it, but it does allow you set up at the rear of a 2kx2k map and have a crack at that range.

Originally posted by Hunter:

...but it does allow you set up at the rear of a 2kx2k map and have a crack at that range.

So, if I understand correctly, when an indirect fire artillery unit is within support range - and designated to a particular tile or unit - this will be represented by a FO on the map in the CMBB battle for that particular tile, right?

Should I deduct from this, that any unit, able to fire directly and within range, is 'physically' transferred to the CMBB battlefield for a particlar tile, even when it was initially located in the next tile on the CMC map? And that those units are set up at the back-end or edge of the CMBB map ?

If that's the case, that solution is not too bad, given the reasonable big size of the tiles.

Just thought, it would not be correct, if these 'neighbouring' units were not able to influence in any way the CMBB battle.

Heretic!

I expect anoyone on this board, regardless of nationality, to be pulling for an Italy/England/Germany/France showdown

[yeah yeah...Brazil sent a contingent to fight in the Italian campaign, but so what...it was a fiddling, miniscule force?!]

;)

Originally posted by scottie:

thanks Hunter, delighted to get an update. You made my weekend.

now if portugal can just beat england ... smile.gif

So, if I understand correctly, when an indirect fire artillery unit is within support range - and designated to a particular tile or unit - this will be represented by a FO on the map in the CMBB battle for that particular tile, right?
You have to assign the gun to support a particular unit. When that unit is in battle, you will get a spotter for those guns...if the order has had enough time to propagate through the system, by the time the battle happens.

I think that's how it works.

Originally posted by McAuliffe:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Hunter:

...but it does allow you set up at the rear of a 2kx2k map and have a crack at that range.

Should I deduct from this, that any unit, able to fire directly and within range, is 'physically' transferred to the CMBB battlefield for a particlar tile, even when it was initially located in the next tile on the CMC map? And that those units are set up at the back-end or edge of the CMBB map ?

If that's the case, that solution is not too bad, given the reasonable big size of the tiles.

Just thought, it would not be correct, if these 'neighbouring' units were not able to influence in any way the CMBB battle. </font>

You have to assign the gun to support a particular unit. When that unit is in battle, you will get a spotter for those guns...if the order has had enough time to propagate through the system, by the time the battle happens.
So can an ME support itself? I.e. your infantry battalion ME has 6 x 81mm mortars. Can these be assigned to support the battalion and thus grant it an 81mm mortar FO instead of 6 x 81mm teams?

How are regimental level indirect assets handled? I assume these are separate MEs of battery size? Or do they have to be attached to (and thus included in) another ME to be represented?

Originally posted by Steve McClaire:

So can an ME support itself? I.e. your infantry battalion ME has 6 x 81mm mortars. Can these be assigned to support the battalion and thus grant it an 81mm mortar FO instead of 6 x 81mm teams?

How are regimental level indirect assets handled? I assume these are separate MEs of battery size? Or do they have to be attached to (and thus included in) another ME to be represented?

No, you can't support yourself. Your 6 x 81mm mortarts will appear onboard. This is how I would prefer it if it were me?

Yes, there will be separate MEs of Battery or Battalion Size running around, Regimental, Divisional or Army assets

Originally posted by Hunter:

No, you can't support yourself. Your 6 x 81mm mortarts will appear onboard. This is how I would prefer it if it were me?

Individual mortars are pretty much useless in CM in any situation with limited LOS (bocage / woods, night, fog, etc). The FO unit allows you to call for fire anywhere and also doesn't risk the loss of the mortars themselves. Good news about the battery-sized units though.