Progess Report/Release Date? (Lurkers Abound)

MeatEtr

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm glad the testers are taking their time with the Beta testing. After all, if it weren't for them finding the bugs now we'd all end up with a copy of "Squad Assault: The Campaign"

And no good can come of that.

(with half-apologies to Eric Young)

Edited to apologize

And again to apologize for the apology

Sorry

oops..sorry

Eh, I'm not thinking Panzer Command so much. In all honesty, Uwe, it looks like a bargin basement Combat Mission imitator, which was bound to happen sooner or later. It's graphically 1/2 a gen behind CMAK, and unless there's some mind-blowing AI at work, why bother?

I mean, look at the screens...

Panzer Command

The environment, the terrian has no detail. Could it really have the complex armor penetration formulas that CM has? Not likely...

Hpt. Lisse, I am sure Panzer Command is not the "hardcore battlefield simulation" that CM is. As Matrixgames stated on their forum, PC will be easier accessible for the non-grognard and the calculation behind penetration, ballistics and damage model will be simplified.

On the other hand you get a campaign to it that is well in the frame of CM:C and no borg spotting (they actually said that for every unit on the map there will be a separate check for enemy units - IIRC every 5sec). Erik Rutins posted: "Each individual unit does its own spotting. If Tank #1 in a platoon can see an anti-tank gun, but Tank #2 technically has a line of sight (if there were no deductions for cover and distance) but is 50m further away than Tank #1 and fails its sighting check to actually "see" the ATG, it won't be able to actually fire at it just because Tank #1 spotted it."

You are absolutely right about the graphics of PC, but if graphics would be that important for me, I guess I would not play CM either ;)

I think it will be ok for the time until CM:C and/or WW2 RTS comes out. Somehow the beer and pretzels version of CM..... but that's totally fine with me.

Uwe

Originally posted by Hpt. Lisse:

Eh, I'm not thinking Panzer Command so much. In all honesty, Uwe, it looks like a bargin basement Combat Mission imitator, which was bound to happen sooner or later. It's graphically 1/2 a gen behind CMAK, and unless there's some mind-blowing AI at work, why bother?

I mean, look at the screens...

Panzer Command

The environment, the terrian has no detail. Could it really have the complex armor penetration formulas that CM has? Not likely...

Thanks for posting the link and making me aware of this game. The screenshots are from the Alpha development, and by a comparison to CM:BO Alpha the graphics are very good indeed. They are not trying to be another CM, but the game looks to have enough detail to make it a lot of fun without sacrificing too much realism.

It will find a place on my hard drive I think, while I wait for the WWII version of CMx2 (hopefully Normandy).

[ March 07, 2006, 09:43 PM: Message edited by: OGSF ]