Water/Landing Craft?

I'm curious, how's CMx2 handling water? I suspect they've now got considerable experience in that line handling Dangerous Waters and Modern Naval Battles. Use of landing craft would really come in handy for Overlord or Pacific battles. If Vietnam is on their short list there's those Mekong riverine craft & partol boats. If they try their hand at 1970s -style NATO/Warsaw Pact they've got all sorts of floatable armor (M113s, BMPs, etc.) to contend with.

So, in view game engine adaptability, are water operations being looked at?

Originally posted by MikeyD:

If they try their hand at 1970s -style NATO/Warsaw Pact they've got all sorts of floatable armor (M113s, BMPs, etc.) to contend with.

But would these vehicles be used to cross waters during a "CM-scale" operation? Isn't the amphibious capability of this kind of vehicles more of a strategic art? To be able to cross rivers to get to the area where they will fight?

IIRC BMP's use some kind of screen to protect the vehicle from waves during the crossing, but this screen also hinders visibility and prevents the use of the weapons.

Landing craft during WW2 and "brown water" craft during the Vietnam war is another issue and are (to some extent) designed to be used where there is actual fighting

Originally posted by MikeyD:

I'm curious, how's CMx2 handling water? I suspect they've now got considerable experience in that line handling Dangerous Waters and Modern Naval Battles...

Did Charles code either of these games? My recollection is he didn't. Does BFC even have access to the code of these games (include T-72 for purposes of discussion)? Seems to me you're drawing some huge inferences here not supported by anything yet revealed on the forum.

Ive often wondered the same thing MikeyD. if they are going to do a Pacific version, and i hope to god they do, they have to do something major and outstanding in the way of landing craft. I think that the whole thing could make or break a pacific version of CM. while a Higgins boat type of landing craft would be just a landing craft, the later war versions like the Buffalo, could be used as support weapons with their short 75mm and 37mm guns. if done right it could be amazing.

Yeah, we had nothing to do with those other games so they are irrelevant.

The CMx2 design inherently supports amphibious or water only vehicles. However, since there is no need for either (for a little while, anyway) zero thought has gone into how they will work. I suspect it will be fairly straight forward. A LCT is nothing more than a truck that floats :D

Steve

For whatever its worth, just look at how many D-Day scenarios got produced after CMBO came out. People want to see a beach assault. Doesn't have to be the focus of the game, but if the game has something close to a D-Day or an Iwo Jima scenario it needs to be in there.

And yes, my favorite Steel Panthers Modern Battles scenarios involved the brown water navy. Something to do with being too fond of Joseph Conrad and Apocalypse Now...

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

Yeah, we had nothing to do with those other games so they are irrelevant.

The CMx2 design inherently supports amphibious or water only vehicles. However, since there is no need for either (for a little while, anyway) zero thought has gone into how they will work. I suspect it will be fairly straight forward. A LCT is nothing more than a truck that floats :D

Steve

My reading of that is that yes, there will be amphibious vehicles. They will feature in a future game, so he hasn't bothered to work out the details yet. He akins the simplicity of making an LCT to that of a truck that floats.

So yes, we can do D-Day or Anzio or Iwo or wherever else there were amphib ops.

Originally posted by simovitch:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Elmar Bijlsma:

So...

Normany:OUT

Walcheren:OUT

Crossing the Rhine:OUT

Anzio:OUT

Salerno:OUT

Sicily:OUT

Gallipoli:OUT

etc. etc. etc.

Steve, are you aware of just how many dreams you just crushed? smile.gif

By golly it's the Ardennes, of course. :cool: </font>

Actually, while Battlefront didnt code those other games, the knowledge base is there if they care to use it. a WW2 game without amphibs is mighty limited in scope and accurate history. Isnt that something the grogs rail on continually?

Count my vote in FOR some sort of amphibious capability. An LCVP for a platoon and an LCM for a tank or truck isnt asking too much and I sincerly doubt is that far a cry from assualt boats for coding. Wind and waves can be simulated in the mission editor by speeds and starting locations, or even "drift" during movement or initial placement.

Well, nearly the whole Eastern Front, far and away the larget land warfare theatre in the war, can be done with nothing more than the type of assault boat the CM currently models (yeah, yeah, I know. . . schnorkel and amphibious tanks, how many tactical engagements can you name on the Eastern Front where they actually played a significant role?)

If you take a moment to read between the line (and some clearly have), Steve has just offered a very large clue as to the setting of the first CMX2 release -- it will be a setting where amphibious operations were not very important at the tactical level.

At the same time, it's clear that they are "sowing the seeds" so that they will be able to do amphibious stuff in the future. So all you PTO enthusiasts can take heart!

But given the stated more limited scope of the CMX2 releases, there's plenty of settings where Amphib, or even just river crossing capability, is more or less irrelevant.

So, my tea leaves say, Aphib eventually, yes. First release, no.