WeGo Moments

I've had so many of these moments.  Quite a few of them became stories that I've posted.  Some of the most vicious close action was in that Stalingrad story I posted.  I tried to catch as many of those moments as I could.  These are the moments that make this family of games so amazing.

One of the most memorable was when I was moving up to take the outskirts of a town.  I can't remember which map it was on, or which battle it was.   But I was attempting to take a rail station with some British lads.  They'd suffered a bit, taken quite a few casualties, and there was a mean feeling among the men.

As they moved to take the rail station, someone stumbled into a minefield.  There were more wounded and killed. 

I moved some of the lads into the station and they were cut down.  Damn!  Where did the gunfire come from?  I eased a scout team around the edge of the building and moments later they were shot down.  My frustration was building as much as my virtual troops.  I could almost hear them cursing.  I tried moving in a small half-squad at slow into the train station and they came under fire immediately, losing more men while breaking and running out of the building.

Then two survivors from one of the mangled squads had enough.  I recall they were veterans - might have been Scots too.  ;)  They were bloody well crazy and they'd had enough.

The two ran around the side of the building and came face to face with two German soldiers, one with an MP.  The Germans had been firing through the window into the train station.  My Brits opened fire at point blank range, cutting the two Germans down in a hail of well-aimed rifle fire.  Then, with the two Germans down, they continued to pour rifle fire right into their bodies.  The lads' berserk status was pegged and they emptied their rifles into the two Germans who had tormented so many of their mates.  It was amazing and I watched it over and over again. 

Now, I posted something about it and someone said that it was a game function, something about action spots and seven seconds of AI reaction that had the AI continue to react as ordered for a brief time after things were done.

BAH!!!  I know what I saw.  Those two Brits were after bloody revenge for the death of so many of their friends and they just kept firing their rifles into the lifeless bodies of the enemy until they had to reload.  :o  I still remember that...hmmm, should have written a story on that too.  These games are so amazing!!!

Heinrich505

2 hours ago, Heinrich505 said:

*snip

The two ran around the side of the building and came face to face with two German soldiers, one with an MP.  The Germans had been firing through the window into the train station.  My Brits opened fire at point blank range, cutting the two Germans down in a hail of well-aimed rifle fire.  Then, with the two Germans down, they continued to pour rifle fire right into their bodies.  The lads' berserk status was pegged and they emptied their rifles into the two Germans who had tormented so many of their mates.  It was amazing and I watched it over and over again. 

Now, I posted something about it and someone said that it was a game function, something about action spots and seven seconds of AI reaction that had the AI continue to react as ordered for a brief time after things were done.

BAH!!!  I know what I saw.  Those two Brits were after bloody revenge for the death of so many of their friends and they just kept firing their rifles into the lifeless bodies of the enemy until they had to reload.  :o  I still remember that...hmmm, should have written a story on that too.  These games are so amazing!!!

Heinrich505

I have seen this before as well and definitely well beyond 7 seconds. I was advancing into a town and split off a scout team to go find the enemy. They rounded a corner and were immediately shot down, one man dead and one man wounded, pretty well right at the end of the turn. About half way through the next turn, there was a burst of fire, than another and then one more. It took a bit for it to register, but they were shooting the wounded guy. The firing stopped when he was KIA. I was reminded of the scene from Saving Private Ryan where the messenger gets shot and then again.

8 hours ago, Heinrich505 said:

One of the most memorable was when I was moving up to take the outskirts of a town.  I can't remember which map it was on, or which battle it was.   But I was attempting to take a rail station with some British lads.  They'd suffered a bit, taken quite a few casualties, and there was a mean feeling among the men.

As they moved to take the rail station, someone stumbled into a minefield.  There were more wounded and killed. 

The two ran around the side of the building and came face to face with two German soldiers, one with an MP.  The Germans had been firing through the window into the train station....  These games are so amazing!!!

Heinrich505

It sounds like your berserk Jocks were fighting the 2nd or 3rd mission from The Scottish Corridor campaign. I certainly remember a cunningly positioned minefield at a railway station.

19 hours ago, Warts 'n' all said:

It sounds like your berserk Jocks were fighting the 2nd or 3rd mission from The Scottish Corridor campaign. I certainly remember a cunningly positioned minefield at a railway station.

1 hour ago, Heinrich505 said:

Warts 'n' all,

Ah, that must be it.  That damn minefield...arrgghh!!!  What a campaign that was. :)

Heinrich505

On that mission at the moment, damn that nuisance mining or booby-trapping, cost me about an sections worth men from an platoon that I was pushing through to continue the advance, odd thing though was that (or rather the stroke of luck for those concerned was that) I had already passed another platoon through those spots whilst attempting to get an foothold onto the train station. Someone in 14 Platoon seems to be an bit more heavy footed than everyone else in C Company. :rolleyes:

9 hours ago, c3k said:

As he got hit, he threw it to his mate! What a fighter! :)

And obviously his mate then said "stuff that, it's cursed" and threw the Vickers back at him.

Edited by Oliver_88

7 hours ago, Oliver_88 said:

And obviously his mate then said "stuff that, it's cursed" and threw the Vickers back at him.

Well, it's not so much that he thought it was cursed. It was the fear of the supply sergeant and his lack of a properly signed chit for that piece of kit. He knew his mate's widow, named Vicky, would have the cost of that Vickers taken out of the MOD death benefit if he kept it.

So, to keep Vicky from being victimized by a Vickers loss, he kept to his virtue and with great vim and vigor, verily tossed the Vickers back onto his mate's variously torn up body.

Ken "'V' is for 'Victory'"

40 minutes ago, Warts 'n' all said:

Nice little story. Although in fact, the MOD didn't actually come into existence until 1st April 1964. 

Silly English. Always fashionably late. I'll bet they wanted the MOD earlier than 1964. Perhaps Val, our valiant Vickers tosser, viewed the future's various new variants of government officialdom?

8 hours ago, c3k said:

I'll bet they wanted the MOD earlier than 1964.

Well, while they may not have had a duly legislated MoD until later, when Churchill took office as PM, he created the portfolio of Minister of Defense and kept it for himself, thus becoming the Generalissimo of the entire war effort.

(Zinged by Warts, I see. Oh well...)

Michael