What kind of specs should a PC have to run CMx2 well?

I know this topic has been trodden heavily, but I've been playing Battlefront games for 20 years and here are my observations regarding getting the most bang for your buck, hardware-wise:

Remember that Combat Mission (even iteration 4) is a single-threaded executable, so no matter how many CPU cores you have, the CM exe will only attach to a single core, and it's core 0 so it's competing with the operating system. (thank God the Windows 10 core is multi-threaded) With this in mind, front-side BUS and CPU clock speed is a significant factor in overall system performance. You'd be better off with a 4-core, 4Ghz CPU than an 8-core, 2.7Ghz processor. Another major consideration is your choice of graphics card. OpenGL ain't the most efficient graphics engine, so a fast GPU will definitely affect the speed of graphics rendering and corresponding lag in the game. If you play a variety of games (like most of us) then it's a tough choice. You can build a custom system that will run Combat Mission at the highest resolution and most detailed models/textures without any lag. However, this system may not play multi-core DirectX games quite as efficiently. Like everything else, getting a "rockin" Combat Mission system may involve some tradeoffs. 

'

Edited by Mr. Yubby

On 9/4/2018 at 7:30 PM, Lethaface said:

Built a new pc last year (goal: discrete high end gaming system; no LED arrays or extra overclock capabilities, just high spec quality components).

i7 7700K
Nvidia 1080
MSI mobo 
16GB DDR4 (matched set of high spec ram)
M.2 PCIe-x4 SSD, 256 GB (Samsung evo)
3TB SATA
27" 1440p 165hz IPS (with Nvidia Gsync)

Now this wasn't a cheap build as some components were very expensive, but am very pleased with it. Only the monitor was around €800 already and the 1080 wasn't much less iirc. Gsync is a culprit (adds 200), but it's worth it as the days of VSYNC perf issues or tearing frames are over.

It does run CM very well. There is massive difference when compared to my previous system (first gen i7 build with updated GFX card). Especially on larger battles, I can play those smoothly now even in RT.

The problem with posting builds are that they change every few months. When building a pure CM system I would invest in a CPU. CM is happy with higher clock frequencies. GFX wise any decent recent GFX card will rock your boat. Also, the m.2 PCIe SSD's are REALLY fast. So while they aren't rock cheap, I would 100% advise one. 

@Thomm

Lethaface, is this still a pc you would recommend? I'm also planning to buy a new pc, mainly for CM, and I would appreciate the advise.

@Aragorn2002, I would surely still recommend it for a high end (ish) gaming system. Although I'd change the CPU to a newer intel series, the recent AMD cpu's seem to be good as well. 

For CM you don't need the nvidia 1080, a cheaper GPU will probably still be good. An i5 cpu probably will also be enough for CM although higher clockfrequency is better. You could get a larger SSD if you don't need a lot of storage, so you can run everything from a SSD.

Also, have a look here: https://tweakers.net/reviews/6497/desktop-best-buy-guide-september-2018.html

It surely does run CMx2 great, I made a quick video of it running CMBS a while back:

Edited by Lethaface

1 hour ago, Aragorn2002 said:

Lethaface, is this still a pc you would recommend? I'm also planning to buy a new pc, mainly for CM, and I would appreciate the advise.

I'm running a

i7 7700K

MSI Z270 GAMING M7 (MS-7A57) (U3E1) Motherboard

MSI 8MB 1080 Gaming X graphics card

32GB DDR4 3000mhz of Corsair Dominator Platinum RAM

250GB Samsung Evo SSD

and two Seagate 2TB Firecuda hybrid hard drives

EVGA Supernova 1000 watt power supply

With a Viotek 32" 1080p, 144mhz monitor along with a couple other odds and ends.

Win 10 Home Edition

With all that said, I don't have CM on the SSD, I only use it for Win10. I have one 2TB Firecuda setup for gaming and one for other media. Nothing I dl goes onto my SSD, all programs and such are divided onto the hybrid HDs by type.

With CM, a cold boot can take upwards of 20+ seconds depending on how many mods I have installed. However afterwards, if I log off and then log back on it is super quick, and will stay that way until I reboot the computer. The games themselves run ok. Satisfactory. Better than my old AMD rig from 2015. My frame rates, on max settings, can run anywhere between 15 to 30+ depending on the situation. However I don't notice much difference in them. The two games I built the rig for, CM and Total War, are the two friggin' game series I get the least performance boost for. LOL Typical. All I can say is that my specs are close to what you listed and it's about as good as CM is ever gonna get until it's overhauled for today's computers or completely rewritten.

I wouldn't go with an AMD anything for CM and I was a hardcore AMD user for 20+ years until I got my first Intel, this rig.

Mord.

Edited by Mord

12 minutes ago, Mord said:

I'm running a

i7 7700K

MSI Z270 GAMING M7 (MS-7A57) (U3E1) Motherboard

MSI 8MB 1080 Gaming X graphics card

32GB DDR4 3000mhz of Corsair Dominator Platinum RAM

250GB Samsung Evo SSD

and two Seagate 2TB Firecuda hybrid hard drives

EVGA Supernova 1000 watt power supply

With a Viotek 32" 1080p, 144mhz monitor along with a couple other odds and ends.

Win 10 Home Edition

With all that said, I don't have CM on the SSD, I only use it for Win10. I have one 2TB Firecuda setup for gaming and one for other media. Nothing I dl goes onto my SSD, all programs and such are divided onto the hybrid HDs by type.

With CM, a cold boot can take upwards of 20+ seconds depending on how many mods I have installed. However afterwards, if I log off and then log back on it is super quick, and will stay that way until I reboot the computer. The games themselves run ok. Satisfactory. Better than my old AMD rig from 2015. My frame rates, on max settings, can run anywhere between 15 to 30+ depending on the situation. However I don't notice much difference in them. The two games I built the rig for, CM and Total War, are the two friggin' game series I get the least performance boost for. LOL Typical. All I can say is that my specs are close to what you listed and it's about as good as CM is ever gonna get until it's overhauled for today's computers or completely rewritten.

I wouldn't go with an AMD anything for CM and I was a hardcore AMD user for 20+ years until I got my first Intel, this rig.

Mord.

You should put CM on the SSD, it's not that big. I checked recently and I do have the 500GB 960 samsung EVO. Anyway CM and Total War are on the SSD :), with windows. Although my /User folder is on the Sata. CM boots fast, scenario's load a little less fast (they are in the /user folder).
Edit: And TW loads real fast, battles and all.

Edited by Lethaface

I thought about it, but the load time on CM doesn't bother me much. After the first boot, it's incredibly quick if I log out and then back in. Scenarios are fine unless they are huge but I think I tested the Nijmegan map and got it going in about 2 minutes.

Do you have Shogun II? That thing takes forever no matter what!

Mord.

1 hour ago, Aragorn2002 said:

Did you guys ever tried the really big scenarios like for example Der Ring der 5. Panzerdivison (CMRT) or CW Schnelle Truppen Angriff (CMBN) and do they run smoothly on your system?

Because that's what I'm aiming for, to run the biggest battles fluently. 

Well, I just loaded  Der Ring der 5. Panzerdivison cold and it took 112 seconds to get to the scenario briefing. I processed one turn moving half the vehicles and that took about just over 20 secs. I processed a second turn giving almost all the vehicles move orders and it took 30 seconds to blue bar it. Here's a vid, you can judge how smooth it looks.

Here's a quick vid of the first turn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZURSiOdstIw

Mord.

Edited by Mord

14 hours ago, Lethaface said:

@Aragorn2002, I would surely still recommend it for a high end (ish) gaming system. Although I'd change the CPU to a newer intel series, the recent AMD cpu's seem to be good as well. 

For CM you don't need the nvidia 1080, a cheaper GPU will probably still be good. An i5 cpu probably will also be enough for CM although higher clockfrequency is better. You could get a larger SSD if you don't need a lot of storage, so you can run everything from a SSD.

Also, have a look here: https://tweakers.net/reviews/6497/desktop-best-buy-guide-september-2018.html

It surely does run CMx2 great, I made a quick video of it running CMBS a while back:

Very impressive, Lethaface. Curious to know how the Ring der 5. Panzerdivision performs with your system.

9 minutes ago, Lethaface said:

@Aragorn2002 Very similar to Mords, although I have it on SSD. I tried loading it up and giving all units an order to the end of the map. The blue bar took very long, but than played out 'smooth' (as in well playable). I'll try to upload a video over the weekend.

Much appreciated Lethaface, thank you. My nightmare is to buy an expensive pc, just to come to  the conclusion that the performance of CM has hardly improved. I will buy with more confidence once I know for certain that the system can handle it.

5 minutes ago, Aragorn2002 said:

Much appreciated Lethaface, thank you. My nightmare is to buy an expensive pc, just to come to  the conclusion that the performance of CM has hardly improved. I will buy with more confidence once I know for certain that the system can handle it.

Als de performande zoals in Mords video een duidelijke verbetering is tov je huidige systeem, dan kan je denk ik met een gerust hart de aankoop doen :) Overigens blijft CM een framerate van zo'n 20 a 30 fps houden, maar het speelt wel erg soepel. Zeker vergeleken hoe het speelde in 20008 op een pentium 4, of vergeleken met mijn vorige i7 uit 2009 oid.

1 minute ago, Lethaface said:

Als de performande zoals in Mords video een duidelijke verbetering is tov je huidige systeem, dan kan je denk ik met een gerust hart de aankoop doen :) Overigens blijft CM een framerate van zo'n 20 a 30 fps houden, maar het speelt wel erg soepel. Zeker vergeleken hoe het speelde in 20008 op een pentium 4, of vergeleken met mijn vorige i7 uit 2009 oid.

Ha! Ik heb een AMD Athlon II X4 640 Processor, dus dan weet je het wel 😀  Er werd mij gegarandeerd dat het een monster was. Dat klopte ook wel, maar niet in de goede zin van het woord . Maar ja, ik heb hem al weer een hele tijd, dus tijd voor iets beters.

According to a video I watched (and subsequent comments) having Win 10 on the SSD and my games on the hybrid drive was the correct setup. But I also learned something very interesting about my Firecudas. Apparently the Firecuda "remembers" programs you use (for that PC session) and will open them faster the second time around. Which explains why CM takes longer on the first boot and is way quicker on the second. The amazing part is we are talking about 90% faster. I think the last time I tested it I got to the BF intro vid in about 3 seconds. Not bad considering I bought the two Firecudas (4TB total) for $99.99 a piece.

@Aragorn2002 If you need help rationalizing the purchase, not only will CM run better than on your older comp but if you decide to buy any state of the art games you'll blow them out of the water. So, far I haven't run into any 64bit games my comp doesn't knock out of the park maxed out. I used to spend a lot of time reading specs on something I wanted. I don't even bother now.

Mord.

10 minutes ago, Mord said:

@Aragorn2002 If you need help rationalizing the purchase, not only will CM run better than on your older comp but if you decide to buy any state of the art games you'll blow them out of the water. So, far I haven't run into any 64bit games my comp doesn't knock out of the park maxed out. I used to spend a lot of time reading specs on something I wanted. I don't even bother now.

Mord.

Thanks, Mord. If that isn't the ultimate recommendation I don't know what is.

44 minutes ago, Aragorn2002 said:

Well, I have bought the current top of the line PC components and the games performance has hardly improved from my 6 year old rig so keep your expectations down and you will be fine. :)

The "k" is for performance boost, in other words it can be overclocked as far as I know. I have actually seen mine run faster without me touching anything.

The  i7 7700K runs at higher clock speeds out of the box than the 7800 series, 4 core 4.2 ghz vs 6 core 3.7 Ghz. But more cores isn't a good thing for CM from what members have said. I believe CM utilizes one core so that would be 4.2 divided by 4 cores for the i7 7700k vs 3.7 divided by 6 cores for the 7800K.

Gaming wise the 7800K is slightly better than the 7700K. From what I have seen the 7700K is much better than the 7800X.

In my opinion you'd do very well with the 7700K, probably better off for CM anyway. I bought mine for gaming and I am very satisfied with it.

I'd also recommend if you are gonna spend the money, get yourself an 8GB Geforce 1080. My MSI has been very good. I originally had an EVGA 1080 and it burned my system up! Had to return all my parts to Amazon. I read the Amazon reviews more in depth after that and some people said it had actually caught fire! You should've seen how the slobbering fanboys attacked me when I complained about what happened to me.  One a**h*** told me I deserved it. LOL.

Search Youtube for i7 7700K vs i7 7800K.  You can find ALL the info you need on comp stuff there. Though beware it can be a rabbit hole! I spent probably 50+ hours researching EVERY part I put into my build.

But if I was you I wouldn't go lower than a 7700K. You never know what you are gonna do with a comp in the future. Better to be as close to ahead of the game as you can reasonably get.

Mord.

Edited by Mord