Which Combat mission buy ?

Hi,

I want to play Combat mission, mainly solo, I'd appreciate an advice.

Which one to buy ? The last one ? this one ; CM Battle for Normandy BIG BUNDLE (Windows) ?

JLouis from France

En français, plusieurs jeux, plusieurs versions, plusieurs patchs quoi acheter ?

Ultimately, this is your choice. If you want the most gameplay for your money, Normandy and Shock Force have the most material to date. All of the games have a robust singleplayer experience but I would say the modern games (Shock Force, Black Sea) generally focus on the singleplayer experience more than others.

Hope that helps. I'm sure you'll enjoy whatever you buy.

On 12.5.2017 at 6:00 PM, JLouis said:

Hi,

I want to play Combat mission, mainly solo, I'd appreciate an advice.

Which one to buy ? The last one ? this one ; CM Battle for Normandy BIG BUNDLE (Windows) ?

JLouis from France

En français, plusieurs jeux, plusieurs versions, plusieurs patchs quoi acheter ?

Did you try to play the Demos? They will give you a good impression what to expect. And ultimately, you will buy them all anyway...?

JLouis,

Welcome aboard!

In terms of bang for the buck, the CMBN Big Bundle (which I own) currently has more than any other CMx2 WW II 4.0 game or, for that matter CMBS, which recently acquired a sepatate Battle Pack. This is because CMBN has two modules: CW (Commonwealth) and MG (Market Garden) plus the only VP (Vehicle Pack) so far. Of the WW II games, CMBN has by far the most user created scenarios and mods. CMSF, which came out first, has one more Module and tons of user created content, but it doesn't have the current game engine (can't do many things possible under 4.0 and earlier) and can't be upgraded to it. Also, the rendering is nowhere nearly as detailed . What CMSF has, though, is an absolutely unbeatable price point, since BFC has drastically discounted the core game by 2/3 to $15 and offers all three Modules (Marines + British + NATO) for a mere and deeply discounted $40. Thus, $55 gets you  the core game and three (3) Modules for $5 less than what one current CMx2 game costs! StieliAlpha's advice is right on, and you are fortunate in that four months or so back, BFC finally updated its ancient CMBN Demo. Think of this as selecting ice cream, with each game being a different flavor. This list isn't comprehensive, but it should help you refine your game choice if you seek a high leverage solution of most gaming for least money.

Regards,

John Kettler

Depends on what time frame interests you like most/what you want out of it.  As the others have said Battle for Normandy has the most content as of right now, but don't think the other games are skimpy on value either.  There's several campaigns in each game, a bunch of scenarios,  a quick battle generator, and multiple forms of multiplayer. And each scenario can last you awhile depending on your ability or desire to do better.  I heard Shock Force wasn't very good, but I haven't actually played it. I liked the Normandy demo, but haven't bought the game yet, and I'm really enjoying Black Sea so far. 

@JLouis

For solo play, CMBN big bundle has more scenario's than any of the other WW2 modules.  It also has the greatest number of community designed scenario's at The Scenario Depot (TDS III) http://www.thefewgoodmen.com/tsd3/.   CMBF is the game which represents the 1944 battles for France.

As others have said though, it really depends on your interests.  The game engine and mechanics are the same for all titles.  The troop qualities and organizational equipment differ in each theater.  CMRT is East Front '44.  CMFB is Ardennes '44 and the battle for Germany 1945.  CMFI is Sicily '43 and Italy '44.  They are all very good.

On 5/15/2017 at 9:50 AM, StieliAlpha said:

Did you try to play the Demos? They will give you a good impression what to expect. And ultimately, you will buy them all anyway...?

That would be about right, as the only ones I don't have is CM:SF and CM:A. Have also got the 3 CMx1 titles, and bought 2 copies of the CMAK/CMBB bundle.

1 hour ago, Johnny Canuck said:

That would be about right, as the only ones I don't have is CM:SF and CM:A. Have also got the 3 CMx1 titles, and bought 2 copies of the CMAK/CMBB bundle.

Me too, me too. I was referring to the WW2 titles.

I don't have A, SF and BS.

CMBB, I even bought three times. The first disk was so worn out, that I had to replace it. The second broke due to some mishandling and the third still sits proudly on the shelf.

CM:SF & CM:A are still great games, the former has so much content available that it's a total steal at the price even with all the modules.  CM:A is dead quirky (& dead cheap), but it's actually a slightly more sophisticated game-engine than CM:SF and at present it is by far the best for asymmetrical warfare.....What CMA really lacks is good user generated content (& functional trucks).

Just my 2c, FWIW

PS - I bought the CMx1 bundle twice because I wore a disk out!  ;)

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

1 hour ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

CM:SF & CM:A are still great games, the former has so much content available that it's a total steal at the price even with all the modules.  CM:A is dead quirky (& dead cheap), but it's actually a slightly more sophisticated game-engine than CM:SF and at present it is by far the best for asymmetrical warfare.....What CMA really lacks is good user generated content (& functional trucks).

Just my 2c, FWIW

Yep, no doubt about that.

I just never came to like temporary games. I remember playing "Fulda Gap"during my Bundeswehr time in the early 80's. Whenever a Battalion disappeared from the map in a big blast, I thought "OMG, that could have been me."

Modern-themed CM games are a lot harder to play though. In WW2 themed ones (which are not anywhere close to being easy either) you have a huge freedom to make mistakes compared to, especially, Black Sea. Can just run a squad through a field under the enemy fire and not lose anyone because the volume of fire from WW2 semi-automatic rifles and their precision leave a lot to be desired. In Black Sea assault rifles with optics just completely obliterate a squad in the same scenario. Same goes for tanks which in modern era are 1-shot-kill machines and have the tools to spot and gun stuff from miles away.

I love modern setting a lot more cause of this though.

Basically go WW2 if you want to get SHOOTY and go Modern if you want to get SNEAKY

Edited by kraze