The 'Never Say You've Seen It All' Thread

Machor

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, General Jack Ripper said:

Talk about awkward!

I've always hated those key openers. In the first place, even when they work right they're slow as hell. Not nice when you are hungry and it's only a five minute break. And what's worse, usually I get about half way around the can and the strip starts slipping off the roll. Makes you want to find the inventor and make him eat all the keys, strips and all!

Michael

• 2 weeks later...

How about CIA games?  Some work required.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/03/cias-in-house-board-games-can-now-be-yours-thanks-to-an-foia-request/

Love this!

https://www.facebook.com/godzillafanatics/videos/10155223452233751/

Here is inspired madness.

Michael Emrys,

Kipper snacks used to come that way, as did SPAM and toothpaste. As a little boy I watched with fascination as Dad rolled up the top of the kipper snacks. These days, it's more like pull gradually and gingerly, hope it comes of cleanly and you don't wind up wearing the contents!

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

Here's a stunning set of photos which juxtapose strong powerful black women (reimagined in period European gowns) against shocking imagery of the things being done to their people. The other twist is that the gowns are made of paper and were crafted and painted by the photographer herself!

https://mymodernmet.com/fabiola-jean-louis-rewriting-history/

Regards,

John Kettler

18 hours ago, John Kettler said:

These days, it's more like pull gradually and gingerly, hope it comes of cleanly and you don't wind up wearing the contents!

Antique packaging could be frustrating and even dangerous at times, but a lot of the contemporary stuff is downright infuriating. Consumer Reports used to have a regular feature (they may still do but I no longer have a subscription) that they ran once a year called "The World Is My Oyster" in which subscribers would nominate the worst, frustrating to try to open packaging of the year. It gets really insane at times. Sometimes I wonder if it wasn't designed for the express albeit unannounced purpose of driving the buyer mad.

Michael

13 hours ago, General Jack Ripper said:

This was pretty cool:

It was cool.  Thanks for sharing.  It was interesting that they said multiple platoons formed a division which then formed a battalion.  I guess they didn't use division to mean multiple regiments (or brigades).  Or maybe they used division more than once in the TOE?   +1

4 hours ago, MOS:96B2P said:

It was cool.  Thanks for sharing.  It was interesting that they said multiple platoons formed a division which then formed a battalion.  I guess they didn't use division to mean multiple regiments (or brigades).  Or maybe they used division more than once in the TOE?   +1

The definition does seem to get moved around a lot depending on which service is using it. Or maybe, as you suggest, depending on era. In the USN, a division is usually half a squadron and is the smallest tactical unit I've come across. In the Air Force a Division was half a Flight (or sometimes appears to be interchangeable with Flight), but anyway a Division was two or more Elements, which was in turn a pair of Airplanes, a leader and his wingman. Confused yet?

Michael

21 hours ago, Michael Emrys said:

The definition does seem to get moved around a lot depending on which service is using it. Or maybe, as you suggest, depending on era. In the USN, a division is usually half a squadron and is the smallest tactical unit I've come across. In the Air Force a Division was half a Flight (or sometimes appears to be interchangeable with Flight), but anyway a Division was two or more Elements, which was in turn a pair of Airplanes, a leader and his wingman. Confused yet?

Michael

If it confuses me, it will confuse the Hun!

General Jack Ripper,

Back when I was still doing my Soviet Threat Analyst thing, I got to see a satellite picture we thought was hilarious. Somehow, maybe ice, the An-225 special transport plane, with Buran atop it, skidded off the runway and went axles deep in the mud. Here's some great info on the Buran story.

http://www.astronautix.com/b/buran.html

Regards,

John Kettler