CM Helper 1.7.3 - CMFB support - available

CM Helper (and an alternative, Whose Turn Is It) "manage" the game files in PBEM games ...

Nowadays, one uses drop box to share the game files, rather than - literally - email, despite the PBEM naming.

CMH / WTII keep track of any and all of the PBEM battles you are fighting, and move your opponents' turn files in from the dropbox folder(s) to the appropriate game's incoming turns folder, and vice versa moving your turns from the game's outgoing email folder to the drop dropbox folder.

CMH also alerts you if you have a new turn awaiting your go, allows you to chat with your opponent, etc.

If you do PBEM, you really should use one or other of these two helpers: makes thing much MUCH easier! (I use CMH ...)

• 3 weeks later...

What is the newest version of CM Helper that is done being tested and that we should be using?  The title of this thread says CM Helper 1.7.3 however the link in the opening post leads to a 1.7.5 and a 1.7.6.  I have some in progress PBEMs and don't want to risk screwing anything up by downloading a version that is not ready. Thanks.   

18 minutes ago, MOS:96B2P said:

What is the newest version of CM Helper that is done being tested and that we should be using?  The title of this thread says CM Helper 1.7.3 however the link in the opening post leads to a 1.7.5 and a 1.7.6.  I have some in progress PBEMs and don't want to risk screwing anything up by downloading a version that is not ready. Thanks.   

In my experience, the version of CMH has never had any effect on its function - ie. the basic "move turns back and forth" always works, it just may have other bugs or features added and removed.

I would not worry about it. But similarly, using an "out of date" version will also not be a problem - the non-CMFB-supporting version worked fine for my AAR with Bil and c3k, but it had a little icon telling me it didn't know wtf that game was B)

Just grab the latest non-beta one you see and go :) 

Edited by Baneman

On 5/9/2016 at 5:04 PM, PhilM said:

What I usually do is drag the old app to the trash, place the new version in Applications, then run it.

Or at least, this is how it has worked for me, deleting the old one first before running the new version.

I noticed the above parts of a post you made while helping @BadgerDog.  It got my attention because at first I was not going to delete the old version.  If I need to delete the old CM Helper before installing the new one what is the best way to do that since I have PBEMs in progress?  I see you are on a Mac.  I have a Windows 10 machine.  

11 hours ago, Baneman said:

Just grab the latest non-beta one you see and go :) 

Thanks.  I have the Zip file for CM Helper 1.7.5 downloaded to my desktop.  Before I un-zip and install it I was wondering if I need to delete my old version 1.6.2?  I'm on a Windows 10 machine.  

7 hours ago, MOS:96B2P said:

I noticed the above parts of a post you made while helping @BadgerDog.  It got my attention because at first I was not going to delete the old version.  If I need to delete the old CM Helper before installing the new one what is the best way to do that since I have PBEMs in progress?  I see you are on a Mac.  I have a Windows 10 machine.  

Given that we are on different operating systems, I'm reluctant to offer any firm suggestions: you'll be better waiting for a Windows 10 user I think.

But ... FWIW, and assuming GaJ will have made both the Mac and the Windows version follow the same principles of operation, I *think* that you can set aside the potential issue of upsetting ongoing PBEM games from deleting the current version first; I would assume (!) that Windows CMH will remember / re-find those ongoing games and just carry on from where the old version was, just like the Mac version ...

Indeed, on the contrary I think it's more likely that you'll have glitches from opening the new version before deleting the old one, as you may / will get duplicates of files going into and out of dropbox and game folders, as both versions of CMH try to do their thing with file transfers to and from your CMx2 titles; if so, this may well confuse your opponents (or their PCs anyway, if not them personally!) as well as giving you duplicate files.

I would close the old version of CMH first (I normally leave it running permanently), then delete it, then install the new version.

10 hours ago, MOS:96B2P said:

Thanks.  I have the Zip file for CM Helper 1.7.5 downloaded to my desktop.  Before I un-zip and install it I was wondering if I need to delete my old version 1.6.2?  I'm on a Windows 10 machine.  

I'm on Windows 7, but CMH usually doesn't even need to be "installed".

I just unzip it and create a shortcut to the exe. Voila, it works. :)

Don't run more than one version at the same time and you'll be fine.

• 1 month later...

As of today I just started getting this error message:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 6, in <module>
  File "__main__.py", line 128, in <module>
  File "__main__cmh__.py", line 125, in <module>
  File "controller.py", line 51, in __init__
  File "appstate.py", line 52, in __init__
  File "permadict.py", line 29, in __init__
  File "permadict.py", line 79, in load
ValueError: File not in a supported format

No idea why.  Powered off PC yesterday and now this message.  Running 1.6.2 but downloaded latest version (1.7.5) and same message appears.

Running Windows 7 Ultimate X64

9 hours ago, Vanir Ausf B said:

Navigate to Users --> (your user name) --> roaming --> GreenAsJade and delete everything in there. If that doesn't work I'm out of ideas. GAJ rarely visits the CM forums anymore so I don't know how to contact him outside of CM Helper.

Not sure if it would already be captured by what Vanir recommends above ... but deleting the file "appstate.txt" often helps to free up CMH if it has got "stuck" and won't start / run correctly ...

(I think that file stores the current state / settings of CMH, and if those settings etc somehow get themselves in a twist then deleting the files allows CMH to start afresh and create a new version of the file. It does (should ...) NOT lose all of your battles in progress if you try this.)

• 3 months later...

ok, first... do a search on your C: drive (or where ever you have CMH installed) for: greenasjade
a subfolder  should show you CMHhelper
mine was C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Roaming\GreenAsJade\CMHelper
i renamed it in case i screwed something up, (i read someone on BF Forum said delete it)
i just added xxx in front of the name :)

then back to CMH
C:\Program Files\cm-helper-1.7.5

find the cmh.exe and double click... it WORKED!!
i did have to go back in and reset the paths to battles in progress... but so what?!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Ive been moving from an old mac to a new one. As part of the process the setup pulled over the old helper setup. But when i reinstalled all the CM stuff i started getting errors. I keep getting errors now when i try to add a dropbox game.

Ooops, individual game file folders have to be under your specified Dropbox root: /Users/mikeleathem/Dropbox

Can't set game file folder to /Users/mikeleathem/Documents/Dropbox/The Quarry 

Can anyone help please?

Mike

Just a guess, but looks like your Dropbox folder needs to be here:

31 minutes ago, Spartan said:

Ooops, individual game file folders have to be under your specified Dropbox root: /Users/mikeleathem/Dropbox

Instead of here:

31 minutes ago, Spartan said:

/Users/mikeleathem/Documents/Dropbox/The Quarry

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Thanks for everyones help. I now have 5 games running. 3 are fine and synced to dropbox folder but there are 2 others which will not pick up the dropbox share no matter what i try.

There are setup same as the working games. Ive tried setting up new dropbox folders and reshaping but nothing. Yet the folder share itself is working ok as I'm passing files there manually.

Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this?

Thanks,

Mike

7 hours ago, Spartan said:

Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this?

On 7/26/2016 at 7:17 AM, Vanir Ausf B said:

Navigate to Users --> (your user name) --> roaming --> GreenAsJade and delete everything in there. If that doesn't work I'm out of ideas.