Russian army under equipped?

Heeeeey pay no attention to the embarrassing pile of Russian hardware in the Ukraine, HERE IS AN ARMATA OOH AND AAH OVER IT.

Yes, it was predictable :)  Armata hasn't been mentioned in this thread since January (Page 2) and even then only in passing.  It's about as relevant to this thread as talking about a T-34.

Steve

I think Armata and the glorious non-invasion of Ukraine by HATO nemesis Spetsnaz War Robots are both utterly independent of any given thread subject under discussion. 

It could probably be some kind of law,  let's call it after its ruthless inspiration:

PUTLER'S 1st LAW states:

The more non-relevant and pointless it is to talk about Armata or deny the Russian forces in Ukraine, the greater the requirement that they are mentioned. 

Edited by kinophile

This is particularly maddening in the actual case and its real life everyday equivalents. Like a friend of mine who came back from Afg. And started using hard drugs. I warned him he was playing with fire so he said well you smoke once in awhile. Im like ya.. thats playing with fire .. i guess... but it has nothing to do with anything we.re talking about and is an order of magnitude different. Sigh.

Some more evidence of "coal miners" armor and weaponry found only in russian army  in depths of said coal mines obviously - put together in a few videos for anyone interested

youtube.com/watch?v=gupUasybpuw

youtube.com/watch?v=KuB_uYsAeuA

youtube.com/watch?v=uhxldlWRVn0

Subtitled in english

Man, capturing them T72B3, Vystrels and Strela 10 from ukrainians must have been really tough eh?

Edited by kraze

Yup.  There are some indications that one (of many) reasons for Russia ceasing it's air campaign in Syria was due to running out of bombs to drop.  Which is not surprising since that's a problem for countries engaged in prolonged campaigns no matter who they are.  In December the US military stated it was going through stocks of bombs faster than they could be replaced and that more money was needed in Fiscal 2016 to replace the stocks.  It's unclear if Russia was able to keep it's supply up to the rate of depletion.  For sure most of the munitions used were "dumb" because of the shortage of "smart" munitions, which itself indicates budget issues.

Steve

Yup.  There are some indications that one (of many) reasons for Russia ceasing it's air campaign in Syria was due to running out of bombs to drop.  Which is not surprising since that's a problem for countries engaged in prolonged campaigns no matter who they are.  In December the US military stated it was going through stocks of bombs faster than they could be replaced and that more money was needed in Fiscal 2016 to replace the stocks.  It's unclear if Russia was able to keep it's supply up to the rate of depletion.  For sure most of the munitions used were "dumb" because of the shortage of "smart" munitions, which itself indicates budget issues.

Steve

But all bombs hit the targets.....

:P:D:lol:

Steve

But what about a dedicated computing subsystem GEFEST "SVP-24", "SVP-24-25". Which allows you to drop a silly bomb like smart. The spread will remain of course the computer will not be able to take into account the different nuances. Budget savings in times, in Russia bombs with the Cold War is enough a very long time - I am quite serious. Most likely get rid of the stupid bombs .Most likely Russia got rid of the stupid bombs .In Russia silly bombs name - chuguniya, from the word cast iron.

А как же специальная вычислительная подсистема Гефест "СВП-24" , "СВП-24-25" .  Которая позволяет сбрасывать глупые бомбы как умные . Разброс разумеется останется компьютер не сможет учесть различные нюансы . Умные бомбы можно оставить для уничтожение штабов и главарей НВФ . Экономия бюджета в разы ,  бомбы у России ещё с Холодной войны хватит ещё очень долго - я вполне серьёзно .  Вполне возможно избавлялись от старых бомб . В России глупые бомбы называют - чугуний , от слова чугун .

Edited by HUSKER2142

I had seen that and got a laugh out of it!  Russia has just given evidence of war crimes because roughly 45% of all the people killed by Russian airstrikes were civilians, they bombed hospitals (repeatedly), and hit dense civilian areas with cluster bombs.  So what the Russian Ministry of Defense is saying is that they deliberately hit all these things and are darned proud of it too!

But what about a dedicated computing subsystem GEFEST "SVP-24", "SVP-24-25". Which allows you to drop a silly bomb like smart. The spread will remain of course the computer will not be able to take into account the different nuances. Budget savings in times, in Russia bombs with the Cold War is enough a very long time - I am quite serious. Most likely get rid of the stupid bombs .Most likely Russia got rid of the stupid bombs .In Russia silly bombs name - chuguniya, from the word cast iron.

If Russia used up all of its "dumb" munitions without replacing them with "smart" munitions, that doesn't seem very good for future combat.  Dumb bombs are better than no bombs.

Steve

http://www.spiegel.de/politik/ausland/afghanistan-usa-trafen-klinik-in-kunduz-angeblich-bewusst-a-1058062.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3448951/Russia-accused-committing-obvious-war-crimes-Syria-50-die-hospital-school-bombings-report-finds-Moscow-killed-civilians-Assad-ISIS-month.html

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/nov/25/medecins-sans-frontieres-kunduz-hospital-attack-us-military-17-minutes-to-act

War is not good; War is unfair; War is a load of xxxx;

I love all the CM´ Games because of my affinity to the technical and strategycal side, but in the (actual) real life- every "Side" have their own propagandas- "justifications", "reasons" or pressures to do what the do, with all "unavoidable", "collateral" and intended actions. Every dirty action from one side can be compared with an equivalent action from the other side.

So there is nothing to discuss, about what side is "good or evil", both (or more) of them "do war"- and war is the filthiest, un- smartest and simple dumbest way to show what a country can do in (to) the world.

Lets play wargames, and be peaceful :-)

cheers

Kobra

New analysis of Russia's August/Sept 2014 counter offensive and the mistakes made responding to it on the Ukrainian side.  It's from an unashamed pro-Ukrainian reform website, which means it has plenty of criticism for the Ukrainian side of the battle.  Which, I should add, is an interesting detail to keep in mind.  There is a presumption that "pro-Ukrainian" = "pro-Kiev government".  More often than not the opposite is true.  Which makes sense because the Euromaidan movement is against corruption and incompetency.

http://euromaidanpress.com/2016/03/16/evidence-confirms-major-russian-invasion-in-summer-2014/

The bulk of the documentation in the above article comes from here:

http://ukraineatwar.blogspot.de/2016/03/google-earth-now-shows-major-russian.html

I can tell you, as someone who spent several hours a day combing Ukrainian, Russian, and Novorussian websites looking for battle information this was an extremely confusing time.  The Ukrainian general staff had not yet learned the downside of lying while the other two sides had nothing to gain from telling the truth. Which meant hour to hour it was uncertain what was going on.  Things usually only became clearer several days later when enough facts had been accumulated to indicate, roughly at least, what was going on and what wasn't.  It was a mess.

Steve

That second link is remarkably coherent and well thought out.

Which means it's obviously a piece of propaganda :D

The role that Google Earth, geotagging, cellphones, and bragging service members on social media has played in this war is fascinating.  As is the ability of people in Ukraine and elsewhere to document it all.  Simon Ostrovsky's recreation of pictures uploaded by a Buryat soldier is nothing short of brilliant.  The irony is that Russia's propaganda and electronic warfare methods are vastly more sophisticated, prolific, and funded than pretty much the entire West put together times ten.  Yet I have a very strong suspicion that Russian leadership never predicted how pathetically paper thin their lies would be because of the actions of their own soldiers and the need to boast on VK.

Steve

Edited by Battlefront.com

• 1 month later...

I was doing some research on Putin's "little green men," which is how I found the two very good articles below. 

Here is a most interesting, as it happened, 2014 analysis of Putin's "little green men" and the emergence of a new, peculiarly Russian way of waging war in a whole new way. There is a fair amount of material there on the treaty which in Putin's view dismantled the Soviet Union and some fascinating material on how a popular Russian alternative history novel, Island of Crimea," got reflected in something Putin said. The novel posited Crimea became Russia's Taiwan after the land connection was removed following the triumph of the Whites in Crimea in 1920, and Putin referenced the floating island's return in one of his speeches. Also of interest, I believe, is that Crimeans invented the Russian slang which translates as "little polite green men." The visual used on social media is also of import, as is the twist on the Russian saying "Bravery takes cities" into "Politeness takes cities."

https://anthropoliteia.net/2014/03/31/little-green-men-russia-ukraine-and-post-soviet-sovereignty/

This 2015 article talks in detail about the LGM and Spetsnaz, comparing and contrasting western views on Spetsnaz vs what they actually/supposedly do. It specifically addresses the Vladimir Rezun/Viktor Suvorov disclosures which put Spetsnaz on the radar of the citizenry in Europe, America and elsewhere, talks about Spetsnaz formations; their use in Europe, official Russian disclosures of female Spetsnaz and the new altogether to me fact the Ukrainian government had arrested female Spetsnaz operators there. The picture at the top is a real attention-getter, in that at first blush, you'd think you were seeing a SEAL, for the operator is wearing what used to be a SEAL peculiar piece of headgear.

http://www.moderndiplomacy.eu/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=676%3Arussian-spetsnaz-ukraine-s-deniable-little-green-men&Itemid=488

The site itself seems to be very solid, with a heavily credentialed staff of global writers and advisors.

Regards,

John Kettler

Though I have no idea how many Russian troops remain in Syria, there is apparently a 48-hour ceasefire there, during which some Russian troops are rehearsing for the Victory Day Parade. This short video offers a look at troops in both Russian desert utilities and combat kit. The color is highly distinctive. Judging from the rank after rank of lovely female medics, it's a wonder male Russian soldiers aren't trying to be hit!  Am also wondering how Altama hid its contract with the Red Army for desert boots.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/russian-military-active-syrias-hmeimim-144556506.html

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

This modern Russian military is looking wonderful.

1 hour ago, John Kettler said:

Though I have no idea how many Russian troops remain in Syria, there is apparently a 48-hour ceasefire there, during which some Russian troops are rehearsing for the Victory Day Parade. This short video offers a look at troops in both Russian desert utilities and combat kit. The color is highly distinctive. Judging from the rank after rank of lovely female medics, it's a wonder male Russian soldiers aren't trying to be hit!  Am also wondering how Altama hid its contract with the Red Army for desert boots.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/russian-military-active-syrias-hmeimim-144556506.html

Regards,

John Kettler

The guy with the classic white garden gloves just HAD to ruin everything, huh?

Not surprised with generals being greedy and not giving the ACUs for 82a-s. But I kinda get it, why bother with ACUs if the guys keep riding outside. Feel bad for the crews tho.

Here's another good vid showing all manner of Russian forces and equipment in Syria. Of particular note are the Pantsir S1 hybrid SAM/gun systems. According to Carlo Copp on Australian Airpower, the design specs for these, which are intended to protect mobile strategic SAMs and other critical assets, explicitly includes the US HARM missile. This is a much more difficult target than the Tunguska can handle.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/09/middleeast/russia-military-syria/?iid=ob_lockedrail_bottommedium

While rooting around CNN's World section, I also found this most interesting opinion piece by Les Aron, who runs the Russian Studies branch of the American Enterprise Institute. He has a great deal to say about Putin's very inexpensive (in terms of daily operating costs) foray into Syria and leverage from that intervention, capital flight from Russia, major inflation and a huge hit on the ruble's value.

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

• 4 weeks later...

Even with a bombing computer Husker domb bombs are nowhere near as good as guided. Dumb bombs cannot correct course or anything once dropped.

The US obviously has computers that either use CCIP ( continously computed impacted point ) where a small reticle constantly moves where the iron bombs will fall. This is still drastically inaccurate compared to guided weapons from the late 80s. Theres also CCRP or continously compued release point where the pilot places the aiming point on target and holds the fire button. The plane drops the bombs when its computed theyll hit. Again the slightest human deviation will make the bombs.miss and they miss anyway.

You also must remember the US has a very cheap compared to laser guided bombs bomb called the JDAM which the Russians as of now do not have a counterpart. Someone must be lasing a target for an LGB to be dropped therefore bad weather can hamper ops.

JDAMs can be attached to any dumb bombs with a relatively cheap kit and they utilize the GPS. So you can have a plane flying higher than you can see or hear drop a bomb it cant see that will fall and guide itself through cloud cover mist or whatever. Theyre remarkably accurate and also dont give a laser warning at all.

Also for every Russian SU25T or Su34M that is risking AAA ( if they want to accurately use iron bombs you basicaly have to expose yourself to AAA manpads etc. No flying at 20k and calmly dropping LGBs. )Any return fire will hamper accuracy, and for all those planes the Russians also are using Mi35s and Mi24s to drop iron bombs. And theyre not even using proven techniques to improve accuracy such as diving or toss bombing.

Theyve been recorded dropping dumb.bombs from height flying straight and level. Im almost certain Russian helos ( US ones dont carry bombs ) dont have a bombing computer so thats essentialy barrel bombing with nicer bombs and helos.

On 5/3/2016 at 9:41 PM, John Kettler said:

I was doing some research on Putin's "little green men," which is how I found the two very good articles below. 

Here is a most interesting, as it happened, 2014 analysis of Putin's "little green men" and the emergence of a new, peculiarly Russian way of waging war in a whole new way. There is a fair amount of material there on the treaty which in Putin's view dismantled the Soviet Union and some fascinating material on how a popular Russian alternative history novel, Island of Crimea," got reflected in something Putin said. The novel posited Crimea became Russia's Taiwan after the land connection was removed following the triumph of the Whites in Crimea in 1920, and Putin referenced the floating island's return in one of his speeches. Also of interest, I believe, is that Crimeans invented the Russian slang which translates as "little polite green men." The visual used on social media is also of import, as is the twist on the Russian saying "Bravery takes cities" into "Politeness takes cities."

https://anthropoliteia.net/2014/03/31/little-green-men-russia-ukraine-and-post-soviet-sovereignty/

This 2015 article talks in detail about the LGM and Spetsnaz, comparing and contrasting western views on Spetsnaz vs what they actually/supposedly do. It specifically addresses the Vladimir Rezun/Viktor Suvorov disclosures which put Spetsnaz on the radar of the citizenry in Europe, America and elsewhere, talks about Spetsnaz formations; their use in Europe, official Russian disclosures of female Spetsnaz and the new altogether to me fact the Ukrainian government had arrested female Spetsnaz operators there. The picture at the top is a real attention-getter, in that at first blush, you'd think you were seeing a SEAL, for the operator is wearing what used to be a SEAL peculiar piece of headgear.

http://www.moderndiplomacy.eu/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=676%3Arussian-spetsnaz-ukraine-s-deniable-little-green-men&Itemid=488

The site itself seems to be very solid, with a heavily credentialed staff of global writers and advisors.

Regards,

John Kettler

Idk I believe Suvorovs been pretty discredited. Any info he had is long since stale and old. And his " proof " of a Russian attack in 1942 etc is  bunch of BS as are many of his other observations imo.

Most historians and people whose opinion i respect do not hold him in high regard.. and yes JK i know the guy is literally a favorite of yours. You should youtube him theres several videos of lectures he gave you.d like.