Asian

Tboyer

Hey Guys

Have you guys though about making a modern Asian combat mission with China ,Vietnam , Philippines , Japan ,South Korea and USA and NATO.   And what about upgrading Combat mission Afghanistan and add modern USA and NATO. I buy the series and would like to see these added on poll your buyers please.  I would make mods if i could my self but I am a disabled vet.

Thanks

Steve has pretty much expressed a general disinterest in doing anything in the pacific theater including WW2 to the present. We continue to gang up on him, but so far with no success. Polls are somewhat difficult as they represent a small minority of CM gamers. I think the current "how do you play" poll is a good example. The number of responders is really small.

And welcome to the forum.

I'm not from battlefront, but if you look how long the CMSF game was drawn out in terms of modules, and the longevity of the other CMs, I think it'll be a few years before we see a CM: Pacific Rim.  Also I've seen the horror of when a company starts cranking out sequels without taking time to perfect the last release.  I'd rather see Black Sea done up with all them NATO and Russian modules to the max, and then maybe another release.

That said I'd love to see a Combat Mission: Korea and would pay Steel Beasts level prices for it.  Same deal with Combat Mission: Pacific for a World War Two setting (although only if it was both USMC and US Army forces, tired of WW2 Pacific stuff that assumes only the Marines showed up).

I think Steve would be pleased as punch if he could come up with a plausible scenario that involved modern Chinese forces. But what would that be? And would anybody buy it? Not a particularly big American market interested in fighting along the Chinese-Russian border in Manchuria.

I think Steve would be pleased as punch if he could come up with a plausible scenario that involved modern Chinese forces. But what would that be? And would anybody buy it? Not a particularly big American market interested in fighting along the Chinese-Russian border in Manchuria.

It might not be that hard to cme up with a scenario pitting US and Chinese forces againt each other. Korea is the obvious one, followed by US itervetion n a Sino-Indian War. Other possibles are Chinese invasions of Taiwan or Japan thoug hese would be harder given US naval supremacy. Of course, such opertions might be feasible if the US were already engaged in a mjor war in anther theatre. Like Ukraine for example...

Well I've been vocal on this so you know where I stand...

Korea, Japan/China over disputed islands. Taiwan just to name a few. You also have Russia vs China and the US and Japan could conceivably get involved.

With what I've seen so far in Black Sea, with some improvements in infantry you would have a great game.

As for the market? Do what just about every company is doing...make the move East and market your product in China. You have a customer base in the billions that as it stands dwarfs anything in existence and the potential has only been about 25% penetrated.

Apple is an example of a runaway success in that market.

As I've said before I would pony up for it.

As for the market? Do what just about every company is doing...make the move East and market your product in China. You have a customer base in the billions that as it stands dwarfs anything in existence and the potential has only been about 25% penetrated.

Steve has expressed a lack of interest in managing an explosion in growth of that magnitude. He has asserted that he's not in it for "billions" and is happy making a decent living rather than megabucks, as it means he can do the things he wants to rather than act as CEO for a large concern.

Steve has expressed a lack of interest in managing an explosion in growth of that magnitude. He has asserted that he's not in it for "billions" and is happy making a decent living rather than megabucks, as it means he can do the things he wants to rather than act as CEO for a large concern.

Doesn't have to do it as a get rich venture. Just make it and break even. But if there is no interest, then there is no interest.

What may end up happening is someone with interest may just mod whats already out there, just like the Africa and other mods that got done for Shock Force.

It was mentioned in a thread elesewhere that one of the designers had a secret desire to get a DoD contract. I don't know if that was just a joke...but Asia is a natural fit for the US Marines and as a service I could easily see the whole heartely embracing a Pacific theater game with them in it as a training tool.

They tend to be the most creative and out of the box thinking service always looking for different and cost effective ways of doing things. Its in their culture.

Just to toss in two bits, the Chinese are equally likely to be shooting at the North Koreans in the event of a new Korean War, as they are to be resisting the US/ROK

On the other hand there's no reason why we cannot have a branching campaign, or just two separate ones that assume either invasion friendly or invasion hostile Chinese intervention.  

Maybe its better BF stays away from Asia. They make Shock Force then soon after look what happens in Syria. They announce and start working on Black Sea and look what happens in Russia.

They announce Combat Mission Asia with China, Russia, North/South Korea, Japan and the US in it and I wouldn't want to think of a world where the same trend takes place.

As they say bad things happen in 3s.

Yes avoid asia....

I think Chinese players would love a game where they get to kick some western ass. Its hugely popular in the Battlefield series. I found there are tons of people still playing Battlefield 2 and the servers where all Chinese . lol.

Theres potential there. Lots of cool vehicles. Chinese have those long range carrier killers in the future and their own stealth planes. wouldnt be one sided soon.  As a scenario though doesn't really feel realistic . not for decades anyway.

Personally Id rather have full NATO panoply in BS.

I have no interest in a WW2 Asian game. Nor 50's Korea or Vietnam.

I think Chinese players would love a game where they get to kick some western ass. Its hugely popular in the Battlefield series. I found there are tons of people still playing Battlefield 2 and the servers where all Chinese . lol.

Theres potential there. Lots of cool vehicles. Chinese have those long range carrier killers in the future and their own stealth planes. wouldnt be one sided soon.  As a scenario though doesn't really feel realistic . not for decades anyway.

Personally Id rather have full NATO panoply in BS.

I have no interest in a WW2 Asian game. Nor 50's Korea or Vietnam.

This would certainly be a case of "build it and they shall come" You wouldn't need to even market it. if just 1% of the Chinese population bought a CM product you'd make a profit. Its hard for many to grasp the size of that market. Apple has just 14 stores in China, yet the number of IPhone 6 sold in China blew the what was already an elevated estimated projected sales number out of the water.

I would not be interested in a WW2 Asia oriented game at the moment. I think a lot of improvements to the infantry side of things would need to take place. 1950 Korea is a forgotten war and will probably stay that way. Viet-Nam....hmmmm, we're getting warmer.

A modern day CM in Asia. Now were talking. The current Black Sea engine ported to Asia would be a very good game. I wouldn't hold my breath though. BF is a small company and they already have a lot on the plate. They still have modules for CMBN/Red Thunder and probably Italy on their plate and Black Sea will get the Brits, US Marines and others before they can even think of going to Asia and it sounds like the interest isn't there.

So for now the best hope that a modder will carry the torch or perhaps something more unortodox. As I mentioned modern day Asia and the US Marines is a natural fit. The US is already in the process of pivoting defense posture to Asia. The US Army had a huge hit with Americas Army computer game. it would be interesting to see the USMC put a tiny fraction of their Pentagon budget money into modding Black Sea to the Asiatic theater and use it as a recruiting tool, just like Americas Army was. It could also double as a training tool.

Unfortunately there are many huge practical and legal difficulties to accomplishing the goal of using CM as a recruiting tool, but modding it to Asia and using it as a training tool would certaintly be in the realm of doable for the Marine Corps. It could then be made available for the public. It would be a great training tool and the good PR and goodwill generated from making an Asia based mod could always be positive.

However, for now and the forseeable future I would not expect to see CM in Asia.

Edited by db_zero

Just to toss in two bits, the Chinese are equally likely to be shooting at the North Koreans in the event of a new Korean War, as they are to be resisting the US/ROK

On the other hand there's no reason why we cannot have a branching campaign, or just two separate ones that assume either invasion friendly or invasion hostile Chinese intervention.  

The end of Larry Bond's "Red Phoenix" comes to mind.

A good friend of mine in the C: MANO community is currently working on a scenario that involves the Chinese trying to "secure" (see: "drop a 500kg GPB down the ventilation shaft of...") the WMD storage facilities of the DPRK in the midst of a succession crisis. While ground combat is a bit undermodelled (though you can't expect much in that regime in a game that has a distinct lack of "Land" in its name), his research on both the Chinese and DPRK OOBs is, to use understatement, impeccable.

Edited by Agiel

I'll have to ask him where he got the North Korean OOB. Might well be a mix of looking up the systems that are known to be in North Korean service, Google Maps imaging, and a spot of extrapolating based on terrain (ie places an at least reasonably competent air defence battalion commander might put a SAM complex).

I'll concede when it comes to North Korea, you can't take anything at face value. What the North Koreans say is a tank regiment is more likely three duty NCOs and a park of mothballed APCs.