White Phosphorus Artillery

I am pretty sure he means white phosphorus deployed offensively with the intent to kill not conceal...I would hope not honestly, I am pretty sure there is some kind of international law now barring its use in that way.

This is what that looks like and it is not pretty...not for the squeamish...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kET05jtaFjA

*Video is from Spec Ops: The Line not an actual white phosphorus attack, however it is no less disturbing.

Edited by Raptorx7

The Russian do and would use Thermobaric weapons; which are far more napalm than napalm.

Last time I checked it's one of the areas where they lead, or have an edge. Deployed for arty, air and miniaturised for squad use too.

USMC have some in their inventory. Not really up to date on the rest of the West.

The Russian do and would use Thermobaric weapons; which are far more napalm than napalm.

Last time I checked it's one of the areas where they lead, or have an edge. Deployed for arty, air and miniaturised for squad use too.

USMC have some in their inventory. Not really up to date on the rest of the West.

"The West" use and have used thermobaric weapons in Afghanistan and Iraq.  The RPO-M is in the game (refer to the manual page 62) however the question was about the use of WP and chemical agent grenades. 

My concerns precisely, white phosphorus tends to make me partially squeamish to face and use. I know both sides have it, and I know that on occasion both sides use it, I was primarily concerned with whether or not I would have to make my men run away from smoke screens ....

Edited by jamo552

There are no civilians in the game, so you can use WP anywhere you want without having to worry.

Technically, you are not allowed to use it in civilian areas (with a few exceptions), but technically you are also not allowed to blindly bomb civilian areas using any kind of artillery or airstrike, and technically there are a few other things you aren't really allowed to do. But you can still do all of that in CM, the game doesn't punish you for performing war crimes of any kind. So, I don't see why WP wouldn't be allowed in game, at the very least it can be used to create smoke screens or weaken enemy concentrations as is its use in real life.

Edited by BlackAlpha

But you can still do all of that in CM, the game doesn't punish you for performing war crimes of any kind.

You must've missed out on CMSF. The mosque you were under no circumstances to destroy would inevitably be festooned with machine gun and RPG positions. Should you surrender to frustration and level it, you'd lose big-time points.

You must've missed out on CMSF. The mosque you were under no circumstances to destroy would inevitably be festooned with machine gun and RPG positions. Should you surrender to frustration and level it, you'd lose big-time points.

And the Hospital on the last level of the US Army campaign... all Syrian SF and RPG-29's :(

And the Hospital on the last level of the US Army campaign... all Syrian SF and RPG-29's :(

I forgot how I solved that particular tactical problem. I do remember at one point dropping airburst HE and WP rounds in front of a protected building to suppress the defenders long enough that my Strykers' machine guns (no MK19s) could take over and allow a squad of infantry to get in the side door and finish the job up close. But I'm not sure that was the last mission, it has been years since I played it.

I wasn't aware engaging enemy forces in a house of worship, hospital, cemetery, etc.whom are engaging you was a war crime.

I wasn't aware engaging enemy forces in a house of worship, hospital, cemetery, etc.whom are engaging you was a war crime.

It is not.  However, it might violate US / Coalition ROE under certain circumstances or at certain time periods.  ROE are frequently more restrictive than international law of war.  Technically, it is a capital crime under the law of land warfare to resist (through armed resistance or providing intelligence, etc...) uniformed service members of an occupying force, if you yourself are not a uniformed service member.  Punishable by death, which can be enforced by an occupying force using acceptable expedient tribunal procedures, as long as the rule of law is still applied universally.  Would theoretically justify non-summary, but expedient with fair hearing, execution of every insurgent captured since 1967 or so.  Not strategically desirable if you buy into COIN doctrine, but perfectly legal.  Point is just that law of land warfare is not unilaterally applied, enforced or interpreted, and current public/social opinion about what is acceptable level  of violence is the actual 'law' in use - CNN factor wins every time.