Assault and Angriff

• 11 months later...

To any newbies to CMRT, like me: Beware! The Angriff briefing is a head fake. "We can expect logistics elements and rear guard units so this should be a walk in." Really!

I quickly closed my eyes and quit the scenario 30 seconds into it after losing half my light armor. So much for tacintel. I'll now try again; this time more prudently.

<_<

To any newbies to CMRT, like me: Beware! The Angriff briefing is a head fake. "We can expect logistics elements and rear guard units so this should be a walk in." Really!

I quickly closed my eyes and quit the scenario 30 seconds into it after losing half my light armor. So much for tacintel. I'll now try again; this time more prudently.

<_<

That's why it's good think differently.  When I read that my first thought was that all hell would break loose after getting through the first line.  After all, what's the point of giving either side an easy time of it in any battle?

Jyri

<snip>

"We can expect logistics elements and rear guard units so this should be a walk in." Really!

<snip>

LOL. :D  I have interpreted the intel in a similar way in some scenarios.  In real life I wonder how many commanders were briefed by the S2 or G2 about what to expect and then found something a bit different.  This game can be a little to much like real life sometimes. :)   

• 3 months later...

Just started Angriff myself - I really feel sorry for recon units in this war. They didn't really have a chance - I didn't even get the chance to move them! I suppose if I had left them behind the treeline to start - but  then they wouldn't be recon units then would they?

@derbius

They do not behave like recon vehicles. The recon vehicles in CM seem to be one of the weakest spots of the game. And they not even can be made to behave like recon vehicles (reverse on dangerous contact). They just stop movement or even engage tanks. :o This reduces their useage into Russian Roulette missions and has nothing to do with their real life useage or capability to survive. I wish if the hide-command was enabled, that they would reverse in conjunction with a movement command.

Edited by CarlWAW

Unfortunately recon vehicles are a weak point in any wargame - once spotted, their supposed security of being able to get out of Dodge fast usually has little effect on the enemy's ability to shoot and hit them.

At least in CMx2, the relative spotting model gives them some purpose and useful function. But they still die in droves :rolleyes: