CMRT - BETA AAR - Soviet Side

I am seeing a common theme with your requests.. a lot of infantry,, much of it SMG... that we can do for sure.

Armor, yes the Russian tank platoon has 3 tanks.. I need to explore the point costs of tank riders and their mounts... maybe I can afford more than one platoon?

Indirect artillery. can I ask why you guys, almost all of you, would like of map artillery? My philosophy is, even though I do a lot of area fire, is that I hate wasting firepower.. and indirect artillery takes so long to come in that it can be wasted if it doesn't arrive in sync with the attack. However, I had a very successful artillery barrage in my AAR with ND (CMFI BETA AAR).. so maybe. But I prefer on map assets.. either SP guns or mortars.

Yes I am thinking of bringing several trucks for resupply.

Aircraft - I was thinking of perhaps buying two strafing IL2s, problem is they bring a big hit to the rarirty cost.. 79 to purchase, 257 rarity...

But rarity might not be an issue for me:

Tankodesantniki Company - 3 platoons, with two platoons of T-34/76 costs: 1711 points and 0 rarity. That is six T34 tanks... maybe a good core to build on?

I was thinking of an OT-34 to take care of my flamethrower requirement.. it costs 250 points and 1175 rarity. I suspect Elvis will purchase dismounted flamethrower(s) and think the armored variety would be fun.

If I add two rifle companies to that with Battalion mortar and HMG support (6 82mm mortars, 6 Maxim HMG teams) my total goes to 3589 with 1649 rarity... so very close to my 3500 point limit. I could then play with the various settings to get beneath the 3500 point cap.

I did not account for supply trucks so will have to sacrifice something to get at least four.. they are cheap though, from 32-35 points so I should be able to make room.

Thoughts? Tweaks?

Yeah forget off-map artillery, grab a few SU-122's or SU-152's and blast away!

:cool:

I am seeing a common theme with your requests.. a lot of infantry,, much of it SMG... that we can do for sure.

Armor, yes the Russian tank platoon has 3 tanks.. I need to explore the point costs of tank riders and their mounts... maybe I can afford more than one platoon?

Indirect artillery. can I ask why you guys, almost all of you, would like of map artillery? My philosophy is, even though I do a lot of area fire, is that I hate wasting firepower.. and indirect artillery takes so long to come in that it can be wasted if it doesn't arrive in sync with the attack. However, I had a very successful artillery barrage in my AAR with ND (CMFI BETA AAR).. so maybe. But I prefer on map assets.. either SP guns or mortars.

Yes I am thinking of bringing several trucks for resupply.

Aircraft - I was thinking of perhaps buying two strafing IL2s, problem is they bring a big hit to the rarirty cost.. 79 to purchase, 257 rarity...

But rarity might not be an issue for me:

Tankodesantniki Company - 3 platoons, with two platoons of T-34/76 costs: 1711 points and 0 rarity. That is six T34 tanks... maybe a good core to build on?

I was thinking of an OT-34 to take care of my flamethrower requirement.. it costs 250 points and 1175 rarity. I suspect Elvis will purchase dismounted flamethrower(s) and think the armored variety would be fun.

If I add two rifle companies to that with Battalion mortar and HMG support (6 82mm mortars, 6 Maxim HMG teams) my total goes to 3589 with 1649 rarity... so very close to my 3500 point limit. I could then play with the various settings to get beneath the 3500 point cap.

I did not account for supply trucks so will have to sacrifice something to get at least four.. they are cheap though, from 32-35 points so I should be able to make room.

Thoughts? Tweaks?

Good mix!

Off map artillery: Soviet use on the attack would've been pre-planned. Coordinating once the troops cross the start will take too long. You have been given sufficient forces to crush resistance. Do not rely upon artillery to do what your men should be capable of.

There was a reason why the Soviets had the big-bore HE chuckers on armored chassis. If you've got room, something in that vein would be nice. I'd get rid of the mortars to make room for a pair of SU's of some variety.

As to tactics? Really? Don't dance about: ATTACK!

;)

This should be fun.

Ken

P.S. That map looks made for you: Looooong edges, you edge-hugging gamey bastiche! :) <-- (I'm only jealous because I wish I could've done it in our game.)

Hmmm, maybe sacrifice a platoon of T-34's and maybe get rid of the battalion Mortars/HMG's?

The assault guns can definitely replace any off map/indirect arty support, at least in a point situation such as this.

Yeah it'd be at the cost of one tank platoon.. I could purchase one SU-152 and one SU-122 if I cut three T-34s. Might be a good exchange.

Sorry Speakeasy, I am not a fan of rocket artillery ;)

Yeah it'd be at the cost of one tank platoon.. I could purchase one SU-152 and one SU-122 if I cut three T-34s. Might be a good exchange.

Sorry Speakeasy, I am not a fan of rocket artillery ;)

Yeah that sounds pretty good, in your (Original) list it doesn't look like you have any kitty killers so they could fill that role as well...

I think some big SP guns are necessary, maybe 2x SU-122s? That should give you a pretty good direct fire capability, which might be nice in the BUA or if Elvis has some field defenses. I think a single T-34 platoon with desantniks should fill out your armor. As cool as SMG companies are, if this is anything like BfN then you might run out of ammo quickly. Perhaps 1x SMG company, 1x Rifle company, and a platoon of engineers could give you a pretty well rounded infantry force. I'd also suggest multiple man-pack Flamethrowers dispersed among your infantry instead of a flamethrower tank. Finally, I'd spend as little on an aircraft as possible. Maybe it will get lucky, but spending valuable points in something that could get shot down immediately or accidentally strafe your own troops seems risky.

I am a huge fan of the katyusha, so I will be a very happy camper if some rocket artillery makes an appearance at any point in this battle.

I'm with you, buddy. But I think this is shaping up to be somewhat of a hasty attack put together on the fly by forces in pursuit after the breakthrough battle coming on a German ad hoc blocking force. Much as I love rocket artillery (and I love rocket artillery), I don't think it has any place in this scenario quite aside from Bil's objections to it.

Michael

I was thinking of an OT-34 to take care of my flamethrower requirement.. it costs 250 points and 1175 rarity.

Would be very cool to see the OT-34. And sounds good to sacrifice a platoon of T-34s in order to afford the SU-122 / SU-152 combo. Go big or go home.

OK to skip the off board arty and I'd say just spend the bare minimum points on aircraft.

That is a gorgeous map, nice choice, and thanks to GeorgeMC.

Bil, which Soviet units have the capability of calling in artillery support? I saw it mentioned that some Soviet squads have HQ's imbedded in them (can act as HQ's). Will you need to purchase Forward Observer's?

This is all shaping up brilliantly.

Glad to hear you're probably taking a flame-tank - do the Germans get any variety in their orbat ? I don't see anything listed, but am not 100% grog-ish on nomenclature of such beasts. IIRC they used PzII's and III's - are they still around in this time-frame ?

Would like to see you buy at least one "ammo dump" since it's a new feature too ;)

Personally I'd get SU122's and not SU152's - but again - do the SU122's have AT capability ?

The SU tanks have HEAT rounds. But I don't think they carry very many.

Okay I will purchase a couple of those big gunned tanks instead of a platoon of T34s.

I'm open to off map artillery but not too excited about it to be honest. Yes I would then need to buy an FO as well. I don't think every Russian HQ can call in artillery. Well we'll see how big the outcry is for arty, but of course I have veto power. ;)

Baneman,

I don't believe that the SU's or ISU's used AP shells. IIRC they destroyed German armor using their massive HE shells. Given that, I presume that all the SU's and ISU's have AT capabilities.

ISU-122s most definitely had and used AP shells; the ISU-122 carries the same long barrel, high velocity 122mm gun as the IS-2 tank. The ISU-152 also carries some AP rounds -- the 152mm howitzer gun velocity isn't as high but the sheer mass of the round makes up for it. They're both more than powerful enough crack open a heavy cat, though the low rate of fire (especially on the ISU-152) makes them less than ideal as a tank hunters.

The SU-122 has a short-barreled 122mm howitzer so it's not so great for kinetic AP rounds. They do, however, carry a limited supply of HEAT rounds, which are very effective if you get a hit; much like the other Soviet assault guns, it's scoring a hit before the SU-122 itself gets penetrated that tends to be the challenge.