For the love of God, what patches do I need?

GJK

Wave - hi all - CM player of long ago, old school with a question about CMSF.

Long story short, my son is very interested in modern warfare and so I thought of CM:SF. I was in the Marines and so I see that BF has CM:SF with the Marines add on for a very reasonable price. Great, I make the purchase. I install and the readme says that I am about to install version 1.11. Great. Install runs and now I run the "Check for updates" link that is put in to my programs folder. I go to this BF page:

http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_versions&catid=24&myVersion=1.11

So, seeing that I just installed 1.11, I figure that I need each of those patches. I see that they are "incremental". Super. I click on the download link for v1.21a (not knowing if I need a v1.21) and it takes me to the page for v1.32. The link for v1.31 does go to a page with a download link for v1.31. Where or how on earth does one find the v1.21a patch?

Someone help a grumpy guy that has gone back to board wargaming for these types of reasons understand what patches and in what order I need to download and install and how do I get to them. And has it been suggested to BF that their "check for updates" actually download and install the correct patches automagically for the purchaser of their games in a manner similar to what Matrix games or Steam does?

Thanks in advance and sorry for my late hour grumpiness.

Oh, one last question - I did a search and found (and it is my understanding) that I can install this game on two PC's with this license. My goal is to play against my son. The message from Moon that I saw was a bit dated but it indicated that CM:SF could be installed on two PC's using a single license. Please tell me that this is still the case. Thanks again!

Addendum: I found this link that seems to have all of the patches that I need:

http://www.worthdownloading.com/game.php?gid=2525

Before I install v1.20, et al, I should ask - is it correct to run each of those patches in sequence for the CMSF/Marines combo pack (installer v1.11) that I just installed?

Silly question: what if I bugger up my game by running the wrong patch or run them in the wrong sequence and have to start from scratch. Does that use up one of my PC installs that I have available?

Hello, always fun to see a familiar face! (or a nickname in this case)

http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_versions&Itemid=317#Combat Mission: Shock Force (PC)

Working download mirrors for all the patches should be found in the link above, install 1.21 -> 1.31 -> 1.32 and you ought to be set, although it has been a long time since I've installed CMSF having lost my key and executables to the sands of time.

Atleast back then a single CMSF key could be used on two computers simultaneously, although I'm unsure whether it will use the license two times but then they can also be unlicensed. This was my golden standard for wooing fresh blood into the wonderful world of CMx2.

I hope you get it to work smoothly. Happy father-son times!

Thanks guys and good to see you again ZPBII. Ok, got it going by installing patches in the order you suggested and it seems to be working fine. A little later today I'll find out if it will let me install and run two copies concurrently on two different PC's.

Yeah - I've dabbled with CMBN (I actually own it as well) but for some reason (familiarity) I still hang out with CMx1. In fact, I see that my pbem turn just came in to my email as I'm typing this.

GJK,

As one who wasn't too eager to get into modern, CMSF (patched ;) ) is great. If you haven't, you should SERIOUSLY consider getting the next two modules, British and Nato. The units bring a very different feel to the battle. Syrian's get some better equipment and the Europeans have a bit of fun, as well.

If nothing else, you can get a USMC vs. German battle going. That's worth it, right there!

I don't know what those modules cost, but if you and your son enjoy CMSF/USMC, consider it.

Ken

Knowledgebase to the rescue!

CMSF reinstallation

If you have a CMSF module, then you do not need your base game license key (ever again). That's because when you activate a module with a module license key, the base game is activated automatically as well. There is no need to license the base game separately if you intend to install a module with it. For Windows Vista and Windows 7 users we recommend running the installers by right-clicking and selecting "Run as administrator" from the popup menu. The default directory for Battlefront versions is usually '\Program Files\Battlefront\Combat Mission Shock Force' for 32-bit versions of Windows and '\Program Files (x86)\Battlefront\Combat Mission Shock Force' for 64-bit versions of Windows. Please double-check where you install the game and ensure that modules and patches install to the appropriate directory. A new folder/directory in the game's actual directory would be an incorrect location to install a patch to. Most patches will replace the main game executable and you should get confirmation that the patch installed properly by looking for this version number at the bottom, middle of the main menu screen.

Here is the correct way to reinstall CMSF and its modules (as of patch v. 1.32):

• Install CMSF, do NOT license it if it is a Battlefront version.
  • Install the v. 1.10 patch for your distribution (Battlefront or Paradox). This step is sometimes not needed if you have the Marines module, but bundles that include the Marines module may not have all of the necessary files that are part of the v. 1.10 patch.
  • If you have the Marines module, install it now.
  • If you have the Marines module, launch CMSF and use the Marines license key to activate (this activates both CMSF and the Marines module).
  • If you have the British Forces module, install it now.
  • If you have the British Forces module, launch CMSF and use the British Forces license key to activate it now.
  • Install the v. 1.21 patch. Make sure to make the correct selections for the modules you have. Making an incorrect selection will result in modules disappearing or license key requests for modules you do not have. If you run into this problem reinstall the v. 1.21 patch again and make the correct selections. You must install the v. 1.21 patch BEFORE installing the NATO module.
  • If you have the NATO module, install it now.
  • If you have the NATO module, launch CMSF and use the NATO license key to activate it now.
  • Install the v. 1.31 patch. Make sure to make the correct selections for the modules you have. Making an incorrect selection will result in modules disappearing or license key requests for modules you do not have. If you run into this problem reinstall the v. 1.31 patch again and make the correct selections.
  • Install the v. 1.32 patch. Make sure to make the correct selections for the modules you have. Making an incorrect selection will result in modules disappearing or license key requests for modules you do not have. If you run into this problem reinstall the v. 1.32 patch again and make the correct selections.

As someone going through the clean install process right now: I'm realising how much I've become accustomed to one-click installers. Given that Battlefront's orientated itself entirely around a modular sales strategy I'll be very disappointed if the next wave of games hasn't had some work put into making this end of things more user friendly.

As someone going through the clean install process right now: I'm realising how much I've become accustomed to one-click installers. Given that Battlefront's orientated itself entirely around a modular sales strategy I'll be very disappointed if the next wave of games hasn't had some work put into making this end of things more user friendly.

Can't tell whether Moon is being ironic or truly doesn't realize what kind of a game on top of a game that is.

Can't tell whether Moon is being ironic or truly doesn't realize what kind of a game on top of a game that is.

I found a bonus stage: email support to have your elicense reset because at some point in the past someone thought that DRM that limited installs was a totally customer friendly move :(

Actually, the newer games (CMBN and CMFI) use a slightly different - and easier - strategy as of 2.10 that simplifies the process, because it is not necessary to activate the modules step by step, but rather you can install everything and then activate as the last step and in any order by bringing up the activation interface. CMSF is still using the older eLicense system that we do not use anymore for the newer titles.

We have also already provided a combined installer for the Mac for CMSF, and we are working on updating the full version installer for CMSF PC (as well as CMBN and CMFI) to the latest version, as well. Believe it or not, it is a surprisingly large amount of work to do this, and there is always a shortage on resources. Especially, since as long as the game is still in flux with more patches planned, it is quickly superseded by newer patches, which then means all the work has to be done again. This isn't the case for CMSF any more, though, so we should have updated installers in the near future. And, we will also simplify CMBN and CMFI tremendously (everyone who purchased or purchases now will benefit from the new installers).

Also, we are working on a special tool that will make reinstalling, patching etc. a LOT easier. But shshs, it's a secret still.

Keep in mind though that since we are selling modules separately, there will always be some additional "work" in installing. It's inherent in the modules concept. The tool I mentioned above that doesn't exist and I will deny every mention of it and people in black helicopters will come to your house if you do should take the sting out of that as well, though.

While I do appreciate that decisions made many years ago can't be simply undone, and I'm actually surprised to hear that there's a tool in the works to clean up the CMSF install process (I wouldn't have been surprised or upset to hear that it was only going to be for CMBN and CMFI because 'newer'), the delivery of DLC is not exactly a unique problem that only Battlefront has to grapple with.

I know grognards tend to get all weird and Luddite over programs that 'call home', but a launcher that interrogates a server for version details and then downloads and applies patches automatically is a pretty standard expectation these days.

Alchenar, we have decided against using systems that "call home", go online without your knowledge or monitor stuff behind your back. People may have gotten used to them, but that doesn't make them any better, and they have their own set of problems associated with them, and are far from a magical solution.

Problem encountered:

Install CMSF, do NOT license it if it is a Battlefront version.

Install the v. 1.10 patch for your distribution (Battlefront or Paradox). This step is sometimes not needed if you have the Marines module, but bundles that include the Marines module may not have all of the necessary files that are part of the v. 1.10 patch.

If you have the Marines module, install it now.

If you have the Marines module, launch CMSF and use the Marines license key to activate (this activates both CMSF and the Marines module).

If you have the British Forces module, install it now.

If you have the British Forces module, launch CMSF and use the British Forces license key to activate it now.

Install the v. 1.21 patch. Make sure to make the correct selections for the modules you have. Making an incorrect selection will result in modules disappearing or license key requests for modules you do not have. If you run into this problem reinstall the v. 1.21 patch again and make the correct selections. You must install the v. 1.21 patch BEFORE installing the NATO module.

If you have the NATO module, install it now.

If you have the NATO module, launch CMSF and use the NATO license key to activate it now.

Install the v. 1.31 patch. Make sure to make the correct selections for the modules you have. Making an incorrect selection will result in modules disappearing or license key requests for modules you do not have. If you run into this problem reinstall the v. 1.31 patch again and make the correct selections.

Install the v. 1.32 patch. Make sure to make the correct selections for the modules you have. Making an incorrect selection will result in modules disappearing or license key requests for modules you do not have. If you run into this problem reinstall the v. 1.32 patch again and make the correct selections.

I have the Paradox>Battlefront conversion 1.21 patch and it doesn't give me an option to install for Marines+Brits modules. If I install it before the modules then they don't get patched, if I install it afterwards then access to them gets removed.

What do I do? Install my conversion 1.21, install Marines+Brits, install 1.21a again and then proceed?

If you have the Marines and British Forces modules, then you DO NOT NEED the Paradox 1.21 patch. That patch was created specifically for customers who had ONLY the Paradox CMSF game and NO modules. Once you purchase a module, then you are using the eLicense copy-protection system and you can use all of the Battlefront patches.

In this situation, use the Battlefront 1.21 patch and NOT the Paradox Retail 1.21 patch (which is not needed if you have any of the modules).

If you have the Marines and British Forces modules, then you DO NOT NEED the Paradox 1.21 patch. That patch was created specifically for customers who had ONLY the Paradox CMSF game and NO modules. Once you purchase a module, then you are using the eLicense copy-protection system and you can use all of the Battlefront patches.

In this situation, use the Battlefront 1.21 patch and NOT the Paradox Retail 1.21 patch (which is not needed if you have any of the modules).

Ok that makes sense. Thank you.

I remember dropping $1 to upgrade to 1.21 to see what the game-state was after a year of not playing and a few days later I was having a good enough time to get the Marines+Brits pack, which is how I ended up with these options.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have the CMSF + Marines bundle. I'm thinking of getting Brits and NATO. Is it any easier to install if I buy the Marines + Brits + NATO bundle or should I buy Brits and NATO separately?

If I don't care to play the other countries, is it worth getting the other modules for what the Syrians have in them? Or did the Syrian stuff come in updates?

Or wait for the mystery pack???

• 4 weeks later...

Sounds like a good idea. I have had nothing but a nightmare trying to install CMSF again. I have x3 copies and all the add-ons. Still can't even get to my ticket :)

Arrrgh

I think I might just break down and buy a bundled copy. Trying since Dec 18th to get this thing running.

ps does anyone else have 2 passwords on for the forum and the other for the Main page/repository?

I have one name and password for the forum and a different set for the main page. I save the emails with the passwords to a folder in my email for when I can't remember them.

I forgot about this thread when I installed the bundle. I unlicensed CMSF/Marines, then ran the installer. I finished and asked to the NATO license, then the Brit license, then the Marines license. Seemed to work.

Ya having problems with my email I guess. My main login and user name doesn't seem to work. Must have written down wrong months ago.

Tried to setup another with the same email to see if it stated it already existed. Just keep getting errors on the new account via "spamming". Strange.

Oh well. Will have to setup a complete new email for the main page.

There are two bundles, CMSF and Marines for $25 usd and Marines/Brits/NATO for $40 usd.

Since you have the base game, if it is a BFC version, just get the MBN.

I have Windows 8.1. I switched from my user log on to Admin log on. I right clicked the setup.exe and selected Run as Admin. I still get a popup stating the Windows has blocked it. I click more... and it allows me to run it anyway.

I only have MS Security Essentials for firewall and AV.