While we are waiting

para

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can not "also agree" to any such suggestion para. I never agreed mentally ill people can legally purchase guns.

I stated many posts ago, James Holmes was mentally ill BEFORE his mass shooting so my comments NEVER supported James Holmes purchased any weapon legally.

Mentally Ill are not permitted to legally obtain weapons in the USA.

para,

it's very easy: if you are against crimes with guns, don't support politicians that leave the criminals unharmed.

But you live in the USA you are hardly soft on crime. You also have capital punishment and carry it out.Can you think of any harder punishments you wish to implement? Tell you what, i would like to see real punishment handed white collar criminals.

Ok a quick look and i found this...

CENTENNIAL, Colo. — Accused Aurora shooter James Holmes legally bought thousands of bullets, explosives chemicals and four guns months before prosecutors say he opened fire on a crowded movie theater, an ATF agent testified today.

A weak example, para. Many years ago when the U.S. enjoyed a saner society an obvious lunatic like Holmes would have been committed to the loony bin. For the duration. Beginning in the 1960s the ACLU and other 'libertarian' organizations of its ilk went on a deinstitutionalization jihad striving to deny state and local govts the right to confine the violently unstable in mental hospitals against their will. It violated their rights, you see. They succeeded.

para you are confused.

In the USA there are laws regarding weapons purchases as well as what you lump together as "the goods from a store etc."

Since your mass shooter was mentally ill and falsified his FFL / federal paperwork checking off he was NOT mentally ill or being treated for such... his action is a FELONY. Therefore, James Holmes NEVER obtained any weapons legally from any FFL. By falsifying the paperwork he became a Mentally Ill FELON in possession weapons and his purchase was the same as if a convicted felon falsified the paperwork...

With all due respect para, I might suggest you pursue a more in depth understanding of US gun laws before you try to argue for more gun laws in another country or the legality of weapon transactions by mentally ill mass shooters in the USA.

A weak example, para. Many years ago when the U.S. enjoyed a saner society an obvious lunatic like Holmes would have been committed to the loony bin. For the duration. Beginning in the 1960s the ACLU and other 'libertarian' organizations of its ilk went on a deinstitutionalization jihad striving to deny state and local govts the right to confine the violently unstable in mental hospitals against their will. It violated their rights, you see. They succeeded.

Hey don't forget rockin Ronnie destroying the institutional support network in CA. Left or Right, take your pick. They all f**k up.

Childress you are from LA i see..gang central. How do you go about you From ther day. Do you carry a gun? on your person in the car?

No, but maybe I should. From the General Discussion forum:

I've been under the barrel of a gun twice, as well. The first time was in a Los Angeles liquor store in the 70s, late at night. There were 6 or 7 customers. A skinny, diminutive Hispanic dude entered brandished a pistol and shouted out 'everybody on the floor, face down!' We complied. He was nervous as hell. I noticed he was busy going customer to customer demanding to see their wallets. My wallet was in my hand so I surreptitiously removed several twenties and stuffed them in my pants, leaving a few ones in the billfold. He finally got to me and stuck his gun, hand trembling, against my temple. I handed him the wallet. He grabbed the ones, tossed the wallet and left. Most lunatic thing I've ever done. :)

The second time my ex-wife and I were strolling in our middle class, low crime neighborhood also late at night. We're were getting ready to buy a car and stopped to check out a 4Runner parked in a driveway a few houses down. A white guy came roaring out of the house with a shotgun, yelling 'Freeze!'. We froze. He eventually let us go after a searching interrogation. Turns out he was an off duty LA cop. We wondered whether the fact that my wife was half-African set him off.

No, but maybe I should. From the General Discussion forum:

I think after reading the second example - no you should not have a gun. Last thing you needed facing an off duty LA cop brandishing a shotgun is for him to see a gun. There is no way that is going to end well.

Childress, "I've been under the barrel of a gun twice, as well...."

Being face to face with the Barrel of a Gun, unarmed and given instructions to comply with or ... is not something you will soon if ever forget.

I think after reading the second example - no you should not have a gun. Last thing you needed facing an off duty LA cop brandishing a shotgun is for him to see a gun. There is no way that is going to end well.

The odd thing was that I was cool as a cucumber during both encounters. You had no options. Time slowed to a crawl.

para- Please, with all do respect you should do your research.

I have and everyone account I have read so far, says he bought the guns legally. Even the FED's say so.

He even managed to get hold of explosives and booby trap his property. I also see that he was being seen by psychiatrists. Isn't that quite normal for Americans? One apparently said he was dangerous to the Police. Still at the time of the killings and his purchases he was not diagnosed mentally ill by anyone of note.

If you have a link proving any of the above is false. I am willing to read it and change my mind if necessary. If it's just opinion then that is not fact.

I might be wrong but did you say when purchasing guns you are obliged to tick a ''i am mentally ill box'' if that is so, well whoever came up with that must also be mentally ill.

Anyway, I'm off back to Breaking Bad :)

No video game will make someone go out and kill others. Unless they are mentally unwell and would kill anyway.

As for gun control. In the UK the criminals are armed and the law abiding are not. Makes no sense to me. With proper gun control i.e must have a medical and attend fire arms course plus every gun must be registered and even a bullet kept from the gun so it can be put into a database and any shootings etc the bullets marking after it being shot may match up. There are ways to sell guns and still be safe. Apparently Canada has loads of guns per head but hardly any gun crime\murders.

I suggest any one in the UK who is anti gun ownership should go live in a bad inner city area for a few years..where everyone live sin fear of the gangs..and know they have no power to use or stand up against them and the Gangs know damn well everyone is defenseless and to scared to do anything about them rule. As for the Police..they turn up AFTER a crime has happened..they also told me during my years of strife that they are powerless to really do anything anymore due to all the laws protecting the criminal, this was said to me by two policemen whilst i was taking a gang member to court. This same gang had been involved in 6 shootings over 6 months and also machetted a lad in daylight at the road where all the shops are. A fire engine stopped to help the lad..but the gang with machete in hands told them to get in the engine and f off..the firemen did as they where told. My number was up at some point...luckily after dealing with them for 8 years I managed to move. I'd felt so much safer in my own house if i had been armed..as they where. They could have burst into the house..raped my wife..robbed us and battered us and there would have been nothing I could have done that would have been effective.

"Those un-mistakenly happen more often in the USA"

Nonsense. Scotland, Norway... The most that can be said is that those are more likely to have a mental disease component than normal murder.

As for the claim that it is poverty, no it is not poverty. Murder rates in China are minuscule, the same as in western Europe, with a 10th the per capita income of the developed world. They are marginally higher in India (3.5 per 100,000), but nothing like the rates in much richer Latin America. Micronesia is very poor, but has the lowest murder rates in the world.

"Those un-mistakenly happen more often in the USA"

Nonsense. Scotland, Norway... The most that can be said is that those are more likely to have a mental disease component than normal murder.

As for the claim that it is poverty, no it is not poverty. Murder rates in China are minuscule, the same as in western Europe, with a 10th the per capita income of the developed world. They are marginally higher in India (3.5 per 100,000), but nothing like the rates in much richer Latin America. Micronesia is very poor, but has the lowest murder rates in the world.

Do you have a link to these stats JasonC please? I would be very interested in reading them.

para - he was mentally ill - he was paranoid, heard voices, was delusional, and was being medicated for all of the above by the Veterans Administration. But in part due to misguided efforts to encourage people to seek treatment by avoiding "stigma", he was not legally judged mentally incompetent due to mental illness despite those symptoms. And if he were, present law again meant to avoid such stigma prevents such medical information from being shared with the FBI and its background check system. Only if a medical professional makes a judgment of "threat to self or others" and has a person institutionalized on that basis, would it have done anything.

As it was, we know he was paranoid, delusional, and medicated for it - but none of that stopped him from doing anything he did. Nor was any of it available either to the civilian contractors who did the background checks on him (because it was medically privileged) nor to the FBI background check system (since it does not share such medical data for the same reason).

And yes, all of that is evidence that he wasn't the only crazy person in this sad little picture...