"Achtung Panzer Operation Star" Just released

With the latest patch this is becoming a game that for the first time provided serious competion for CMBN. With rapid development of DLC and eye watering effects this is a very good product.

The latest patch even includes cover armour arc/anti aircraft fire only. They have tweaked the infantry AI who are now less suicidal. There is a growing Mod community as well. My only issue is the bonkers updating system. Believe me this takes some getting used to.

I still love CMBN as it is just ahead on a whisker. APOS gives one something to chew on whilst waiting for the Commonwealth module.... will it ever come?

I did not realize this had been out this long. I was computerless for most of December when my old rigs hard drive died, R.I.P. 2007-2011. I did not get my new rig untill January 10th so I has missed the boat on this one. My new rig has an SSD , so hopefully I will not have anymore Drive failures.

I am already having some Graphical issues with APOS. The battlefield is just a solid light blue screen with unit symbols showing?......I'll try and figure that out today....

thanks for the feedback, verulam

With the latest patch this is becoming a game that for the first time provided serious competion for CMBN. With rapid development of DLC and eye watering effects this is a very good product.

The latest patch even includes cover armour arc/anti aircraft fire only. They have tweaked the infantry AI who are now less suicidal. There is a growing Mod community as well. My only issue is the bonkers updating system. Believe me this takes some getting used to.

I still love CMBN as it is just ahead on a whisker. APOS gives one something to chew on whilst waiting for the Commonwealth module.... will it ever come?

Is the demo patched? I looked at this a while back but I could not fathom out the UI

I also couldnt get into this because of the UI and how big scale this game is..Not to mention its always night time and snow storms lol. I saw a vid of it being played in summer and it looked fantastic! maybe i need to give it another chance?

I also couldnt get into this because of the UI and how big scale this game is..Not to mention its always night time and snow storms lol. I saw a vid of it being played in summer and it looked fantastic! maybe i need to give it another chance?

It was the UI that put me off

• 3 months later...
I was browsing Graviteam forum today and found this:

http://graviteam.com/forum/index.php?topic=10363.0

:P

Not sure how to interpret your :P but I'd call that a great offer for anyone interested in realistic tactical WW2 games. I would say that CMBN is probably the better game overall, but AP offers many of the features that people pine for around here. Strategic metagame, much more immersive map scale, infantry that move in a realistic manner, better eye candy, AI that can think on it's feet, Eastern Front, and a few other odds and ends (like patching more than once a year).

The UI is indeed pretty bad, but CMx2 isn't winning any awards in that department either.

There's a lot to like about AP:OS, but the limited number of maps is a problem. Also, I don't like the way it handles artillery. The UI isn't that bad, but it takes a little time to get used to.

[Edited to add:] How could I forget? The patching system is the absolute worst of any software I've ever seen. It isn't made any easier by English being a second language for the developers, either.

• 5 months later...