Mortars and LOF

Hello:

I left my Mortar in the default setup position; in a FH next to the back wall of a house. I have a TRP and when I try to get it to hit that area it says no LOF.

Does that mean the mortar is too snug to the house and cannot fire over it? Feck it, that would be annoying.

Thanks,

Gerry

I'm sure I must have this wrong, but I thought that the main point/advantage of a TRP is that the location is preregistered, and therefore no LOS is required, either from the mortar itself or a spotting unit? Granted you'd need LOS to see if there are any targets on the TRP, but if you wanted to fire blind (trying to catch the enemy in an assembly area to break up an attack, for example), I thought TRP's were the way to go...?

I'm sure I must have this wrong, but I thought that the main point/advantage of a TRP is that the location is preregistered, and therefore no LOS is required, either from the mortar itself or a spotting unit? Granted you'd need LOS to see if there are any targets on the TRP, but if you wanted to fire blind (trying to catch the enemy in an assembly area to break up an attack, for example), I thought TRP's were the way to go...?

Back in CMx1 days on-map units (apart from Forward Observers) only benefitted from TRPs if they hadn't moved from their start location. So an on-map mortar could fire blind at a TRP from its initial position, but once it moved, it could no longer use the TRP (since presumably it no longer knew where it was accurately enough to benefit from the pre-registered target). Unmoved direct fire weapons gained a 'bore sighted' accuracy bonus firing at targets near the TRP too, on the basis that they had pre-registered the correct elevations to fire at for that distance, but again, lost the bonus once they moved from their start position.

I don't know whether CMx2 has included this feature, but it is certainly an extra possibility for why you might not be able to blind target a TRP with an on-map mortar.

Hello:

I left my Mortar in the default setup position; in a FH next to the back wall of a house. I have a TRP and when I try to get it to hit that area it says no LOF.

Does that mean the mortar is too snug to the house and cannot fire over it? Feck it, that would be annoying.

Thanks,

Gerry

It might be momentarily annoying, but ultimately it ought to be satisfying. This game models the trajectory of the mortar round. If you fire it from there you will blow your head off on the nearby roof. Cool eh?

GaJ

(Wodin ^^^^ ;) )

Yes the TRP/First turn arty combo make little sense in CMBN. The CMx1 system as mentioned above by TheVulture seems much more realistic.