CMBN Building Screenshot Gallery

LongLeftFlank

As an aid to the scenario design community, I have captured 45 screenshots of the various buildings (modular and independent) other than churches that are currently available in the game and uploaded them to this gallery

I have labeled each screenie with some basic identifying information. The "independent buildings" have a number corresponding to their row and column in the Editor.

I hope this resource is useful to you in designing realistic (or at least attractive) settlements for your maps, as in this example of a "typical" medieval Norman farmstead

CMBNNormanFarmsteadv1.jpg

For security and shelter, these stout structures generally sit within a walled or hedgerowed compound which also contains farm buildings. Large trees provide additional shelter and shade. They would very seldom exceed 2 stories in height.

NOTE: In farmhouses built before about 1870, windows were a luxury for the wealthy (who could afford glazing and extra heating). The default modular buildings have windows on all 4 sides like modern suburban houses. I advise you to get rid of nearly all the windows on the sides and most of the windows on the sides facing outward or north (where the chill winter winds come off the Atlantic -- that's the real reason for the creation of the hedgerows in olden time!)

Mod_MediumRect2story-Farmstead.jpg

Mod_LargeRectHorizontal2story-Farmstead.jpg

Mod_LargeRectHorizontal1story-Farmhouse.jpg

Just as in Great Britain and New England, the Industrial Revolution (inasmuch as it came to Normandy at all outside the larger towns) was built mainly of ugly red brick. The fancier dressed stone textures available in the game should generally be used only for either public buildings or the (mainly urban) homes of the well-to-do.

The number of windows is going to depend on the use of the structure. Warehouses have fewer, workshops have more (need light to work).

Mod_MediumRect1story-Workshops.jpg

Mod_LargeSquare-Warehouse.jpg

Mod_LargeSquare2story-Factory.jpg

Mod_LargeRectVertical1story-Shed.jpg

Ind_Comm2-2-1storymedsqdiag-Garage.jpg

The stone chateaus. It's too bad these don't have the artillery resistance of the cathedral buildings. If you need that though (I do), you can use the 3 story Cathedral tile

These fancier buildings (dressed stonework, big French windows) would rarely be seen outside towns (except for chateaus or convents).

Ind_House2-4-3storysmallrect90dskin1-Maison.jpg

Ind_House3-2-2storylargerecdiag-Brick.jpg

Ind_House4-3-3storylargerectdiagskin1-Maison.jpg

(The one below is mislabeled -- it's row 2 column 3 in Independent Houses)

Ind_House2-2-3storysmallrect90d-Village.jpg

Ind_House3-3-2storylargerecdiag-Maison.jpg

Thanks Ian. Anybody who wants to upload screenies of particularly nice or authentic buildings they've done into this thread is welcome to do it. I'll slap a few up from La Meauffe in a bit.

Also, I noticed CMBN doesn't let you preplace a rubbled building tile like CMSF did. This is a miss IMHO, since battles often take place in places that have already seen heavy combat and bombardment.

Great work LLF! Thanks for the excellent reference tool. Too many times I have loaded a map with 3 choices side by side, and then try to find just the right one.

-----

My personal best imo so far is a warehouse/small factory type building. Not really historical so much a tactical design. Medium multi-story Modular for strength, but windows galore.

building1.jpg

Only way to fix the double chimney issue was to damage one roof. Fixed.

building2.jpg

From the back. Chimney still there on single story structure, even with damage. Bummer.

Making all the interior partitions work was an adventure.

The wear on the building walls looks good. Anyone thought of graphically inserting vines growing on the walls, things leaning against em, bric a brac etc?

Unfortunately, at least for the independent buildings, the walls don't go all the way to the ground. They go into the base part that juts out, so any plants added to the bottom of the walls, will not look they are growing out of the ground.

Since the texture is only 2d, it doesn't seem like it would look good. The guy who jist posted all those excellent vehicle skins tried to put twigs on a jeep hood and it looked silly. I think Schultzy is on the right track with using hedges and fences, or segments thereof. Just remember very few rural buildings in France don't have some kind of enclosure surrounding them -- walls, hedges or hedgerows as well as outbuildings. This isn't America. Too many of the CMBN maps look like Vermont. That matters tactically -- a lot -- for both protection and field-of-fire reasons.

Also, too many doodads will make a map really slow. CMBN isn't as tolerant as CMSF due to the foliage.

I came up with this advertising mural, and while it shows on both gable ends it does help make villages and towns more "interesting"

housedec.jpg

I think you guys are being a little tough on some of the maps, as fences, hedges and flavour objects abound in the vicinity of houses. (I'm thinking PaperTiger and, modestly, myself here among others)

P

No disrespect intended to anyone here. And after 1860 or so the homebuilding and fencing aesthetic would change since the wider availability of barbed wire, sawmills (using imported wood and rail haulage) quick growing "screening trees" (eg poplars) would become economically competitive with building labour-intensive hedgerows, and protection against Vikings would be less of a concern. So fast growing towns would replace high stone walls with decorative hedges and wooden sheds, carriage houses and garages would replace older stone or half-timber oubuildings.

But the farther you get into the countryside, off the main roads, the more you see buildings and fields built and enclosed on 1000 year old patterns.... which is to say, stout-walled with few windows, huddled behind walls and embankments which generally limit LOS both in and out. A wealthier farmer (and Normandy is not overly wealthy as French regions go due to the harsher winters) might add a wooden barn or cottages but the basic layout wouldn't change much.

Tractors changed everything, but did not enter widespread use in Normandy until after Liberation. Looking at modern photos can be deceptive.

Construction here in North America, in contrast, was largely greenfield and took place in what to Europeans would have been a veritable ocean of cheap local timber. So even our 18th century houses are almost entirely wood, as were the fences.