CMBN Building Screenshot Gallery

LongLeftFlank

Playing around a little with the buildings editor. Here is a nice sturdy chateau, with 3 medium modular rectangles in line plus 2 cathedral types on the "wings"

Chateauv1.jpg

Here's the front in a little more detail. I raised the main building 1 meter to create the paved "stairway" in front, with brick walls and obelisks for a decorative balustrade. There's also a circular gravel turnaround encircling the fountain. Note also the use of hedges and other plantings.

Chateauv2.jpg

And as a separate project, I used 2 medium square buildings (these are diag but you can do the same with the 90deg ones), dividing each open-fronted ground level with a brick wall to create a stables with 4 "bays". This could also be a dairy barn.

Chateaustables.jpg

The irregular shape of the gate was needed to create something big enough for vehicles but not a full 8m square wide. The man-sized opening was too small and looked silly.

Nothing I haven't seen before here except for the use of obelisks at the front of the building. You may wish to note that Steve told the Beta designers NEVER to place walls inside buildings as it utterly screws with the AI pathfinding routines. That's why you won't find these 'interior' walls in any of the official maps. But it's good to encourage the budding designers to make their compounds look a little bit more realistic.

On a seperate note, I usually start out with realistic buildings surrounded by tall brick walls but after playtesting a wee bit, I usually swap the walls for either tall or low bocage to allow LoS through them. Apparently, troops would knock out small firing holes in tall walls with their bayonets and the game does not allow us to do this. Therefore the compromise.

... You may wish to note that Steve told the Beta designers NEVER to place walls inside buildings as it utterly screws with the AI pathfinding routines. That's why you won't find these 'interior' walls in any of the official maps. But it's good to encourage the budding designers to make their compounds look a little bit more realistic.

I´d tried and didn´t see noticable AI path finding problems, but as "interior walls" appear to be ignored for LOS/LOF and cover/concealment matters, it doesn´t anyway make sense to place them this way. I also suspect intersecting houses with 3D objects like walls to cause unwanted "side effects", so I have my doubts with "reinforcing" buildings placed off centered with walls to have any good effects.

Maybe Steve can shed some light on this as well...

Yes, I know what Steve's talking about -- I was trying to build a narrow entryway for the Haveli on my Ramadi map (basically using a narrow wall through a building whose front and back walls have been deleted and it totally messed up the pathfinding of the units passing through it. But the straight wall segments seem to be OK.

Yes, I know what Steve's talking about -- I was trying to build a narrow entryway for the Haveli on my Ramadi map (basically using a narrow wall through a building whose front and back walls have been deleted and it totally messed up the pathfinding of the units passing through it. But the straight wall segments seem to be OK.

Is your Ramadi map available seperately? I found it at GAJ Mod Place, but I do not owe the Marines module, so can´t load.

From my further testing I found diagonal buildings and streets combined troublesome. I can´t get vehicles to move along such streets, as obviously the AS center points are always intersected by the diagonal building walls.

Generally, if any 3D objects (flavor objects excluded maybe) cross an AS center point, I expect trouble with regard to path finding. :eek:

While the diagonal street looks passable for the Kubel, the game will reject.

vehiclenogo3d.jpg

You see why in map editor view:

vehiclenogo2d.jpg

The buildings graphically are not one of CMBN's strong points. However they are functional which is all that matters when it comes to this game. Abstracted, yes, but they work.

I would like to see more varity and have factories and warehouses and more shops etc, also one day transparent texures would be lovely i.e glass for windows.

Thank you for this explanation. Presumably this also explains why vehicles do that silly dance trying to get across a bridge.

Interesting! Is that with regard to bridges placed diagonally? I haven´t experimented with bridges yet, but most problems obviously occur when the center point of an action spot lies on restrictive terrain features.