H2H Helper 1.0.0 Available

Hi All,

We're pretty thrilled to announce that H2HH 1.0.0 is available. At least, I am :)

H2H Helper is an app that takes the hassle out of H2H game file administration.

It tells you who's turn it is, at any time, and copies the files in and out of the folders automatically to sensible places, such as a "Dropbox" share folder, or your own "archive" folder.

It also has a chat facility to chat about the game with your oppo.

You can get it from the H2HH Dropbox share (by sending me a PM with your email in it).

Or you can download it from CMMODS ( PC Version ) (Mac version).

The advantage of getting it from the Dropbox share is that you can get the regular updates from there. The CMMODS version will only get updated on major revisions.

This version 1.0.0 has been pretty widely used (50+ people using it). Its available for PC and Mac, has English, French, German and Spanish localisation and a chat facility.

There's a support email address listed in the "About" dialog.

Documentation is at the H2HH web site

Enjoy.

The H2HH Team:

César Moreno

Markus Mohr

DingChavez

Charles 'Texas Toast' Reece

Martin 'GreenAsJade' Gregory.

H2HH.jpg

I like the idea of it, but the Mac implementation is having many problems.

I can't get the chat to work.

I can't point the game to an alternate folder. The program quits on me.

The copy function is not working. I attempted to copy the path for the folder, but the copy doesn't in fact copy anything.

Sorry.

I like the program. Hope we can get the Mac version running.

LOL. that's more like it :D

FWIW, many folk are using the Mac version without a problem.

HOW TO REPORT AN H2HH Issue:

1) Run H2HH and look at the top of the log window: see where it says its putting its log file.

2) Keep doing stuff till it breaks.

3) When it breaks, get that log file (from step 1) and attach it to this form, along with some description of what went wrong. Tell us in gory detail how you made it break.

4) Press "OK"

5) Wait briefly for our rapid response :)

Thanks,

GaJ

making some progress, but still not there.

What does the following error mean?

OSError: [Errno 24] Too many open files: '/Applications/CM Battle for Normandy/CM Battle for Normandy.app/Contents/Resources/Game Files/Incoming Email'

I think I figured out the copy issue. You did not use the default "File" and "Edit" menus from the apple developers toolbox. You don't have the copy function on for this program.

Ah. That error: we've seen it before, from a mac user, and haven't nailed it down. I'm interested to see that it happens in your Incoming Email directory. How many files are in there? It it lots?

AFAIK H2HH doesn't actually try to open all those files, but maybe MacOS thinks it does. It will be interesting to hear how many files you have in there...

I filed this ticket on this problem. Charles "Mac" TexastToast will look soon I reckon :)

GaJ

Thanks so much for also making this for the Mac as well as Windows. Nice not to be forgotten about.

The chat is an issue as the app doesn't believe there is a dropbox for my H2H games. Does each dropbox folder need to have a specific name? Is there a way I can inform the app of the dropbox folders?

Also - is the app meant to automatically copy files into the dropbox?

there are no files in the incoming email directory. After seeing that error I thought maybe if I delete them out it would fix it. It didn't. Before I did that there was only one file in the directory

Mac version doesn't seem to like too many files in both outgoing and incoming folders.

So - this "too many files" on Mac seems to be a "real" issue.

We're looking into it, we have some theories... it's not an easy one though.

It may be that the auto-update magic is causing this.

Can someone with this issue try turning off "Auto-update" and see if that makes the problem go away? This would confirm a theory, and give you a workaround: in the mean time, use the Refresh button instead of Auto-update.

The chat is an issue as the app doesn't believe there is a dropbox for my H2H games. Does each dropbox folder need to have a specific name? Is there a way I can inform the app of the dropbox folders?

How does this help me with DropBox, or other shared folders?

My opponent named the shared folder for our game something different!

Also - is the app meant to automatically copy files into the dropbox?

Yes - it does this "magically" if you have auto-update selected, or it does it when you press "refresh".

GaJ

there are no files in the incoming email directory. After seeing that error I thought maybe if I delete them out it would fix it. It didn't. Before I did that there was only one file in the directory

Hi - I'm responsible for the Mac version of this so maybe I can help.

One thing that can help with "too many files open" is to create a subfolder in your dropbox for CMBN files (say "CMBN"). Then use "Edit Install" to point the install to that subfolder. That limits what the refresh system is looking at. Then put the game folders in that folder.

Turning off Auto-Update as mentioned may also work.

If neither of these help then I'll keep looking.

Thanks for the feedback,

TT

Hey, is there anyone out there who is good with drawing? I'd love to have icons, instead of words, in the "Other Info" line. But I'm no good at drawing... we need icons for:

- Your oppo is using h2hh (yay)

- There's a new chat message for you

and now

- "Your oppo timezone is:" as in "your oppo timezone is: -12 hours"

GaJ

I shall now avoid loading my files into dropbox or refreshing H2HH, just to imagine this happening.

I'll just have to start spamming e-mails - I can barely resist even now - and then any message boards you're on. If I'm sitting staring at the computer I've got a lot of time to fill. Eventually, after a few further levels of escalation, I'll learn how to hack your library page and fill it with bad manga and every edition of the Harry Potter franchise I can find in a desperate bid for attention. (This isn't a threat - I'm just describing what's happened before.)

Mostly I need more games... I had 5 going and after a period of adjustment enjoyed playing those and getting some work done. Then a series of computer problems or routine delays cut the games down to one, and now my schedule's thrown off *and* I've got this addiction to feed. Maybe I'll add another vice to my life. Hmm, I don't drink much... (Actually, the hacking thing is probably plenty time-consuming.)

Thanks for seeing about the clock-thing GaJ. ATM I'm using a function of the Windows clock that isn't entirely satisfactory.

But it does tell me it's 1:20 pm where JonS is. H2HH tells me it's been 12 hours since I sent my turn. He's probably sitting there with his finger on the "End turn" button, laughing at me. (I'm assuming Kiwi's, like Americans, all do something involving recreational internet use on increasingly-long lunch breaks) I wonder if I can find where he is on Google earth, and if I've still got that cross-directory phone software...