Collapsing buildings

Just playing a scenario and a building collapsed without actually taking any fire! The building next door (although detached) had taken a pasting and some foxholes in the adjoining field the other side had had a fair amount of incoming but this building hadn't, to my knowledge, taken any hits (or not major ones anyway).

Suddenly it just collapes.

Don't get me wrong here, this is not a complaint. I get the impression this sort of thing did happen from time to time. It was a barn-type thing and I don't expect they were constructed to have HE going off nearby. Actually, I was rather impressed at the "randomness" of it. Surprisingly realistic (as long as it doesn't happen too often).

I've seen already-damaged buildings crumple when there's been a near (or even not-so-near) miss. HE blast effects do work on buildings, so if you drop enough near a weak building it'll pancake eventually. The damage should show, though, before it gets catastrophic, as if it had taken direct hits.

Independent buildings appear to be quite brittle with regard to HE and near miss blast effects. Same counts for walls.

In my MOUT test scenario I let the allied AI do some 4.2" smoke (WP?) missions fall on german positions. While germans keep largely unharmed (in buildings, foxholes, craters...), the 4.2" smoke rounds do lots of medium size craters and flatten almost all walls in the area to rubble, mostly by blast effects.

A german 81mm mortar HE barrage made a 3 story independent building (commercial) collapse from maybe 2-3 direct hits and a number of near hits. I had the building manually "damaged" (1 time ALT + SHIFT + Click, 2 times CTRL + Click on single walls) in the editor before, so it might be, it was already brittle, when the mortar rounds struck in the game.

I didn't save the turn. It didn't occur to me that it might be a bug. Not sure whether the building had taken hits or not during the game (don't think it had). I think it was supposed to be a bit damaged at the start of the scenario. Looked a bit battered IIRC.(It was at the left hand end of the town in Carbide Carbide)

So I took it to be an already weakened building that collapsed when the nearby building was taking HE hits. As I say, I'm not complaining; I thought it was quite realistic. Just sharing the experience as I took it to be a fairly "unusual" event.

Just playing a scenario and a building collapsed without actually taking any fire! The building next door (although detached) had taken a pasting and some foxholes in the adjoining field the other side had had a fair amount of incoming but this building hadn't, to my knowledge, taken any hits (or not major ones anyway).

Suddenly it just collapes.

Don't get me wrong here, this is not a complaint. I get the impression this sort of thing did happen from time to time. It was a barn-type thing and I don't expect they were constructed to have HE going off nearby. Actually, I was rather impressed at the "randomness" of it. Surprisingly realistic (as long as it doesn't happen too often).

The buyer should have got a more detailed survey.

You can't trust what these French farmers will try to sell you. ;-)

What I find just a tad annoying about buildings is that there's no way of knowing how sturdy a structure is before committing troops within them. You can't tell me it's realistic for trooops now to know whether a small single storey building of one design happens to be far flimsier than a similar sized building that has a different look.

There needs to be some way to identify whether a building is either a light or a heavy building, just like troops back then could tell by looking at the design and seeing whether it has the classic thick Norman stone walls or the much thinner and modular type design. At the moment we have no bleedin' idea as there's nothing in the manual about the protection offered by the different styled buildings.

Regards

KR

What I find just a tad annoying about buildings is that there's no way of knowing how sturdy a structure is before committing troops within them. You can't tell me it's realistic for trooops now to know whether a small single storey building of one design happens to be far flimsier than a similar sized building that has a different look.

There needs to be some way to identify whether a building is either a light or a heavy building, just like troops back then could tell by looking at the design and seeing whether it has the classic thick Norman stone walls or the much thinner and modular type design. At the moment we have no bleedin' idea as there's nothing in the manual about the protection offered by the different styled buildings.

Regards

KR

Agreed. It's not even always obvious from the 'apparent' structural composition of the building. There's a type with a stone ground floor and what looks like half-timbered upper storeys. The stone ground floors don't seem to offer any additional protection; a single HMG was suppressing and killing (to breaking point) units on the ground floor in about 15s in "la Haye du Puits", and the same for units on higher levels.

Often when that happens to me it usually turns out I had forgot about that opening bombardment against the town 30 turns earlier. :) From what I understand building damage is accumulative. A little damge, then a little damage then a little damage - pretty soon if you lean too hard against an outside wall you're liable to topple the building.